MAC Spoofing failing in manjaro
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to spoof my PBP's wifi card mac address with different ways, and all are failing for the moment...
Trying with GUI network manager results in PBP to hang.
Trying with "ip link set dev wlan0 address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" i get the following error "RTNETLINK Answers: Invalid exchange".
Trying with macchanger, i get the error "[ERROR] Could not change MAC: interface up or insufficient permissions: Invalid exchange".
Trying with "ifconfig wlan0 hw ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" i get the error "SIOCSIFHWADDR: Invalid exchange".

I did put the wlan0 in a down state before trying to change its mac address.
I can't figure out why this isn't working. Could it be a hardware limitation problem (wireless card not able to spoof mac addresses)?
I'm running on stock manjaro.
Thanks
macchanger works fine for me (manjaro as well). No need to put wlan0 in down state. Sudo is needed.
(06-19-2020, 04:23 PM)thumbsup Wrote: macchanger works fine for me (manjaro as well). No need to put wlan0 in down state. Sudo is needed.
Thank you for your message.
Mine refuses to work... i even executed it as root but still not working
(06-24-2020, 08:13 AM)slow_motion Wrote:
(06-19-2020, 04:23 PM)thumbsup Wrote: macchanger works fine for me (manjaro as well). No need to put wlan0 in down state. Sudo is needed.

I'm having the same issues. Some time ago I used the image from pine64 wiki and macspoofing was working fine (running it as a systemd unit file). Yesterday I tried the manjaro-arm-installer and wrote it to my eMMC. Everyhing works perfect (even LUKS encryption). But when creating a new systemd unit file systemctl status gives me: [ERROR] Could not change MAC: interface up or insufficient permissions: Invalid exchange.

Following archwiki I did fiddle with the config files in /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/ but still unable to spoof my mac. I think this is firmware trouble but please correct me if I'm wrong. Any ideas?
(07-01-2020, 07:01 AM)Janoz Wrote:
(06-24-2020, 08:13 AM)slow_motion Wrote:

I'm having the same issues. Some time ago I used the image from pine64 wiki and macspoofing was working fine (running it as a systemd unit file). Yesterday I tried the manjaro-arm-installer and wrote it to my eMMC. Everyhing works perfect (even LUKS encryption). But when creating a new systemd unit file systemctl status gives me: [ERROR] Could not change MAC: interface up or insufficient permissions: Invalid exchange.

Following archwiki I did fiddle with the config files in /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/ but still unable to spoof my mac. I think this is firmware trouble but please correct me if I'm wrong. Any ideas?

I have the same issue after installing arch from Nadia and now i am looking for more info about that. If i am right i think i changed the mac addres with old distros, but not sure. 
Maybe the broadcom BCM43456 is FullMAC and MAC  is managed in hardware.  

Have u solved the issue?
I will try with old images for now:
- can't change wlan0 mac with kali-linux-2020.2-pinebook-pro.img.xz
I haven't tried kali linux, but on Arch Linux ARM with a variety of sources (pbp-packages and manjaro PKGBUILDS), I found that downgrading ap6256-firmware (from 2020.02-4 to => 2020.01-1) allowed macchanger to work once again and allowed NetworkManager to manage the PHY mac.

I was inspired by this post which references this post, which contains links to the package that you want, if you are on a distro which uses pacman. Since the past PKGBUILDS are out there, it should be possible to bisect to find the regression.

Edit: I haven't evaluated any changes in wifi/bluetooth performance by downgrading the firmware, but I can at least connect to my 2GHz/5GHz networks.

Hope this helps.
i just had issues with bootup mach changing or trying to give a modprobe brcmfmac macaddr= nothing was working then i went ahead and changed the .txt for it in the /lib/firmware and now its MY mac address
I just tried to do this.. So much for privacy switches for security and using Linux, when you cant even spoof your mac address, a function that you can have even on a 20 dollar smart phone from walmart...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Manjaro versions bad and good gilwood 0 188 02-12-2024, 05:03 PM
Last Post: gilwood
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,998 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  PBP won't boot after trying to reinstall Manjaro ARM soupgirl 3 562 12-13-2023, 08:17 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Games compilation howto on the Pinebook-pro (Manjaro Linux and Debian native) astr0baby 201 314,501 05-12-2023, 06:09 AM
Last Post: korreckj328
  Manjaro Plasma blinking cursor jcun4128 4 1,368 05-08-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: korreckj328
  PBP blank screen after updating Manjaro Franko 6 1,872 04-01-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: hacknix
  Manjaro - which libdrm? hacknix 0 529 04-01-2023, 03:21 AM
Last Post: hacknix
  Partial boot after installing Manjaro on emmc regivanx 11 2,961 02-06-2023, 09:11 AM
  Manjaro pinebookpro images with kernel 5.7.19 rfm83 11 4,517 01-22-2023, 10:05 PM
Last Post: rfm83
  No boot after Manjaro flash PBcurry 14 5,149 10-03-2022, 08:33 PM