Help: Pinebook Pro will not enter sleep [Manjaro 20.04]
(06-04-2020, 10:00 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(06-04-2020, 09:51 AM)sleepingsysadmin Wrote: When I configure for Deep suspend to ram (which is the ideal option) it does seem to go into deep suspend; but then I cannot unsuspend and similarly need to hold power button to shutdown.

To get s3 to work correctly, replace the mainline u-boot on your install with the BSP u-boot from mrfixit's v2 branch. There's a link in the wiki to the files.

I couldn't find the appropriate files; I found BSP in the repo which had me remove the old BSP and provided me 3 dd options to flash. Unfortunately, ended up unbootable.

I grabbed Armbian which includes BSP and S3 works right out of the gate.
(06-05-2020, 07:00 AM)sleepingsysadmin Wrote: I couldn't find the appropriate files; I found BSP in the repo which had me remove the old BSP and provided me 3 dd options to flash. Unfortunately, ended up unbootable.

Yes, you're supposed to write all 3 of those files.

Glad you got it, though! In case you want to hop distros down the line, or anyone else reading this thread wants BSP u-boot to utilize S3, here is a link to the section of the wiki with links to BSP u-boot files and scripts to flash them: https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pinebo...root_drive
After upgrading idbloader.img, uboot.img and trust.img from https://github.com/mrfixit2001/updates_repo/tree/v2.0 my pinebook is still using s2idle

Code:
Jun 05 18:15:18 utin systemd-sleep[12816]: Suspending system...
Jun 05 18:15:18 utin kernel: PM: suspend entry (s2idle)
Jun 05 18:15:31 utin kernel: Filesystems sync: 0.009 seconds

s3 is correctly selected:

Code:
[root@utin ovv]# cat /sys/power/mem_sleep
s2idle [deep]

Is there a way to check I have the correct uboot version and / or anything else needed to enable S3 ?
It appears on manjaro KDE systemd is configured to force suspend to s2idle even if s3 is available

commenting this line in `/etc/systemd/sleep.conf` enable s3 for me

Code:
SuspendState=freeze
Just a couple of words of warning for others looking at this thread in the future:

- The mrfixit script to update the uboot does other things beyond flashing the uboot. It's probably a good idea to do this manually if you're using a non-mrfixit distro, like I was on Manjaro. After using mrfixit's script on my installation, I also ended up with an unbootable installation and had to start over from the SD.

These are the relevant commands from mrfixit's script. Worked for me but naturally YMMV so proceed with caution:

Code:
SYSPART=$(findmnt -n -o SOURCE /)
DEVID=$(echo $SYSPART | sed -e s+'p[0-9]$'+''+)
sudo dd if=Downloads/idbloader.img of=$DEVID bs=32k seek=1 conv=fsync
sudo dd if=Downloads/uboot.img of=$DEVID bs=64k seek=128 conv=fsync
sudo dd if=Downloads/trust.img of=$DEVID bs=64k seek=192 conv=fsync

Naturally you'll need the three img files mentioned which you can find in mrfixit's v2 branch.

- On a second note, after using his uboot s3 sleep works... sometimes. I've had all kinds of strange behavior. After sleeping I was once left without bluetooth or wifi (even after trying to sleep and wake multiple times) and I still occasionally get failures to sleep. I've been trying to narrow it down. The first failure to sleep I experienced was right after installing the synaptics driver for the touchpad. However, after uninstalling I still couldn't sleep. Afterwards I tried disabling wifi, bluetooth, etc and re-enabling one by one and it looks like it might be related to having bluetooth on and using a bluetooth mouse, but I'm not 100% sure yet.

Either way, proceed with caution and you shall have some form of sleep working which is better than nothing Smile
(06-05-2020, 07:04 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(06-05-2020, 07:00 AM)sleepingsysadmin Wrote: I couldn't find the appropriate files; I found BSP in the repo which had me remove the old BSP and provided me 3 dd options to flash. Unfortunately, ended up unbootable.

Yes, you're supposed to write all 3 of those files.

Glad you got it, though! In case you want to hop distros down the line, or anyone else reading this thread wants BSP u-boot to utilize S3, here is a link to the section of the wiki with links to BSP u-boot files and scripts to flash them: https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pinebo...root_drive

I had new troubles with Armbian; not that unexpected.

Long story short, ended up bricking my pinebook pro going this route. Power button doesnt seem to do anything. unplugged battery for some time. Reset button on board doesnt do anything.

New problem Sad
Can you still boot from sd?
(06-07-2020, 03:34 PM)tophneal Wrote: Can you still boot from sd?

No, not sure what I did wrong. SD and USB both dont work. The green power light just never flicks on. My theory is SPI flash soft locked but then reset/recovery buttons also do nothing.
Try an "extra long press" (pwr button)
Due to a SD card mix-up, I had something like this, a few months ago
When I found the "secret" I went thru a few cycles (I couldn't believe my eyes!!)
20+ seconds, for my device ~22s,, I know, in print, it's supposed to be 15s
1st time do for 30s, to be sure (if it is too short, nothing happens)
(06-08-2020, 06:23 AM)sleepingsysadmin Wrote: No, not sure what I did wrong. SD and USB both dont work. The green power light just never flicks on. My theory is SPI flash soft locked but then reset/recovery buttons also do nothing.

It likely isn't SPI, unless you tried writing a bootloader to it. SPI is empty OOTB.

Luckily, your PBP probably isn't bricked, but there may be a problem with eMMC or install on it. Have you checked to make sure the eMMC is fully seated on the board? Sometimes, they can get jostled and unseated, causing sporadic issues in booting. You can also try to boot from an SD if you use the internal switch to disable the eMMC. If you can do that, you're certainly not bricked. Once booted through SD you can use the switch to enable the eMMC again, and use a few commands (in the wiki) to rebind the eMMC for writing.

If after restoring or reinstalling to the eMMC, if you'd like to use BSP uboot to get s3 sleep, I'd suggest using pcm720's u-boot with ArgleBargle's script, as outlined in the previously linked wiki section.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 8 439 03-22-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: u974615
  Manjaro Sway Theme Broken Eighty8 1 166 03-08-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,110 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
Question Manjaro with Full Disk Encryption and GRUB dumetrulo 1 1,605 02-02-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: frankkinney
  Manjaro network problem late 2023 acruhl 1 213 01-19-2024, 11:32 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 1,912 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 1,979 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 86,609 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Manjaro 20.04 not loading from SD (with Manjaro on eMMC) zaius 1 291 12-07-2023, 03:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 992 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX