Mr. Fixit Script Manual Update + MicroSD Boot help
Hello, I am attempting to install Manjaro but micro sd is not booting up before emmc. I have already run Mr. Fixits script a couple months ago, but see no button or icon to update again, which is what I am assuming is what I need to do so I can boot to micro sd finally. Question is, how to I update if the .sh file is not in the folder it is supposed to be in. Do I download an update manually? Do I run a command of some kind??

Alas! I have answered my own question. Even though I thought I could not find the file I ran the command:  sudo /usr/bin/mrfixit_update.sh   anyway and have received success. Spread this info far and wide!

However the update did not help with booting from micro sd. Is there a button combination I have to press upon boot? Is there even a selection screen when booting to choose which device to boot from??
And I have once again figured out the issue: I was not using the emmc version of the bootable image, it was buried somewhere on the internets.
(04-04-2020, 05:57 PM)SageFox Wrote: And I have once again figured out the issue: I was not using the emmc version of the bootable image, it was buried somewhere on the internets.

Then perhaps you can help me as well. Because shouldn't the PBP be able to boot from sdcard directly? I'm assuming you're implying you're installing to the eMMC from the sdcard? I'd be interested to know which image you were installing and where you got it, so I might try the same.

Thanks in advance!
(04-11-2020, 11:15 AM)mlentink Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 05:57 PM)SageFox Wrote: And I have once again figured out the issue: I was not using the emmc version of the bootable image, it was buried somewhere on the internets.

Then perhaps you can help me as well. Because shouldn't the PBP be able to boot from sdcard directly? I'm assuming you're implying you're installing to the eMMC from the sdcard? I'd be interested to know which image you were installing and where you got it, so I might try the same.

Thanks in advance!

I suggest you get Manjaro 20.04, the new default for the Pinebook Pro.
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/manjaro-arm-...sed/133374
https://osdn.net/projects/manjaro-arm/st...sma/20.04/
(04-11-2020, 02:32 PM)jiyong Wrote: I suggest you get Manjaro 20.04, the new default for the Pinebook Pro.
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/manjaro-arm-...sed/133374
https://osdn.net/projects/manjaro-arm/st...sma/20.04/

Thank you! 
First I must get the sdcard boot issue solved, and I've been googling for a couple of hours and found some pointers. I'va updated the initial mrfixit distro to the latest version, and will now try to flash a sdcard and boot from it. Keeping my fingers crossed. 

I don't know Manjaro all that well,  and since that's using KDE and being an avid Ubuntu fan, most likely I'll try the bionic image first.  
But I'll make sure to try Manjaro out later. Whatever is the best performing on the PBP will probably suit me.
(04-12-2020, 02:57 AM)mlentink Wrote: First I must get the sdcard boot issue solved, and I've been googling for a couple of hours and found some pointers. I'va updated the initial mrfixit distro to the latest version, and will now try to flash a sdcard and boot from it. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Can you check the SD card after flashing with Gparted?
I think especially when you overwrite old images, something can be broken.
Sometimes you can fix it with Gparted.
(04-12-2020, 02:57 AM)mlentink Wrote: Thank you! 
First I must get the sdcard boot issue solved, and I've been googling for a couple of hours and found some pointers. I'va updated the initial mrfixit distro to the latest version, and will now try to flash a sdcard and boot from it. Keeping my fingers crossed. 
If you are having boot from SD issue once Manjaro is installed to eMMc then search the Manjaro forums I think that issue is a known problem.  This brings about the question of the newer PBP coming with Manjaro do they suffer the issue too?
Ne quid nimis

(04-12-2020, 08:18 AM)mtlemmonrunner Wrote:
(04-12-2020, 02:57 AM)mlentink Wrote: Thank you! 
If you are having boot from SD issue once Manjaro is installed to eMMc then search the Manjaro forums I think that issue is a known problem.  This brings about the question of the newer PBP coming with Manjaro do they suffer the issue too?

Hi, thanks for the heads-up. It seems I had several bad cards, so bought a few new ones and that fixed the booting problem. Though I now have Manjarro/KDE running (I'm impressed!), it runs from sd-card, not the eMMC, so I can revert back to Debian by simply removing the sd-card and rebooting.  Being a long time Ubuntu user, I'd like to try ayufan s LXDE image first before commiting to eMMC.
>It seems I had several bad cards
Let me repeat this, it's not worth buying crappy cards
the best test
sudo iozone -e -I -a -s 100M -r 4k -r 16k -r 512k -r 1024k -r 16384k -i 0 -i 1 -i 2
This may give bogus high speed results, what you really care about
is the 4&16k rewrite speeds, most right column
Is it bad or terrible? It will never be good
10-12x is my cutoff (floppy speed=150k/s)
(04-14-2020, 12:29 PM)wdt Wrote: >It seems I had several bad cards
Let me repeat this, it's not worth buying crappy cards
the best test
sudo iozone -e -I -a -s 100M -r 4k -r 16k -r 512k -r 1024k -r 16384k -i 0 -i 1 -i 2
This may give bogus high speed results, what you really care about
is the 4&16k rewrite speeds, most right column
Is it bad or terrible? It will never be good
10-12x is my cutoff (floppy speed=150k/s)

Never came across iozone before, so much obliged!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  uboot wont boot to SD card after upgrade jbradley419 7 631 01-19-2024, 02:29 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Video Flashing/adjusting on boot and reboot jbradley419 0 234 01-16-2024, 09:17 AM
Last Post: jbradley419
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 2,001 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  PBP won't boot after trying to reinstall Manjaro ARM soupgirl 3 563 12-13-2023, 08:17 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Various freezes during boot & while running several Linux distros - hardware error? donuts 1 514 11-22-2023, 11:47 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Cannot boot to Kali SD card after uboot upgrade jbradley419 4 1,071 09-19-2023, 08:48 AM
Last Post: dachalife
  After update, multiple problems, pinebook pro. jd50i 1 970 09-16-2023, 09:41 AM
Last Post: jd50i
  Does latest Tow-Boot install/work correctly for everyone? tophneal 4 1,670 08-03-2023, 03:30 PM
Last Post: tophneal
  Boot into NVME drive, no wifi, sound, buttons... PaulQ 0 751 07-13-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: PaulQ
  New Pinebook pro won’t boot Generaltuxenburg 4 1,803 06-14-2023, 07:20 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX