Manjaro ARM 19.12 Official Release - PineBook Pro
(02-12-2020, 05:07 PM)karlyn Wrote: So, I'm runing Manjaro on EMMC with 5.5.0-3.1 and the "FN - ESC" key combination doesn't seem to do anything.   Is there something I can do to poke the kernel and tell it to suspend?   Will a lid close cause a suspend?  

Thanks again for the information and work on this.   Suspend and some audio/bluetooth issues are the only things that don't work with Manjaro ( and I don't think the bluetooth/audio issues are really a Manjaro issue ).

I just tried this on Manjaro and it works for me, have you installed @jackhumbert's revised firmware? It fixes issues with the fn keys.
(02-12-2020, 05:07 PM)karlyn Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 01:24 PM)spikerguy Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 11:16 AM)hectorzg Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 10:26 AM)spikerguy Wrote:
(02-10-2020, 07:44 PM)xmixahlx Wrote: i tested suspend and also had 30% drain overnight.

There is a new Kernel Released 5.5.0-3.1 which have a better suspend. I have tested 9hrs sleep time with only 1% drain.

Please Update and let me know your feedback.

Thanks.

Pacman says that I have that Kernel installed:

Code:
core/linux-pinebookpro 5.5.0-3.1 [installed]

Are there any extra steps we have to do or updating it through pacman takes care of everything?

Thanks for all your work!

No. You already have the latest kernel. Can you try a full discharge cycle and charge it fully and try suspend.
Please report back your results. As our Kernel dev have done some power test at hardware level to measure power consumption while on suspend and it is the lowest as compared to any x86_64 laptop. 

I will do another test tonight and report back.
Thanks.

So, I'm runing Manjaro on EMMC with 5.5.0-3.1 and the "FN - ESC" key combination doesn't seem to do anything.   Is there something I can do to poke the kernel and tell it to suspend?   Will a lid close cause a suspend?  

Thanks again for the information and work on this.   Suspend and some audio/bluetooth issues are the only things that don't work with Manjaro ( and I don't think the bluetooth/audio issues are really a Manjaro issue ).

You can try suspending with:

Code:
$ systemctl suspend

If that works -- and you are using gnome3 -- try installing gnome-power-manager. I was missing after I installed gnome.
If you are not using gnome3, maybe you need to fiddle with 
Code:
/etc/systemd/logind.conf

Currently, I am pretty happy with manjaro. _Everything_ works and is really snappy. Ordered my NVMe but has not arrived yet.
The primary advantage over other distros (I usually prefer Fedora) is that tsys et al.'s work is integrated quickly here.
(02-12-2020, 06:42 PM)hectorzg Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 05:07 PM)karlyn Wrote: So, I'm runing Manjaro on EMMC with 5.5.0-3.1 and the "FN - ESC" key combination doesn't seem to do anything.   Is there something I can do to poke the kernel and tell it to suspend?   Will a lid close cause a suspend?  

I just tried this on Manjaro and it works for me, have you installed @jackhumbert's revised firmware? It fixes issues with the fn keys.

Thanks hectorzg, I wasn't aware of the revised ansi firmware.   I applied it, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to have resolved the "FN-ESC" issue.   However, I have confirmed that the other methods are working now ( lid closed, lid open, and the systemctl suspend command ).    Even if the keyboard combination doesn't work, the lid switch working makes me happy...

(02-13-2020, 04:05 AM)schanzen Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 10:26 AM)spikerguy Wrote: There is a new Kernel Released 5.5.0-3.1 which have a better suspend. I have tested 9hrs sleep time with only 1% drain.

Thanks.

Code:

Are there any extra steps we have to do or updating it through pacman takes care of everything?

No. You already have the latest kernel. Can you try a full discharge cycle and charge it fully and try suspend.
Please report back your results. As our Kernel dev have done some power test at hardware level to measure power consumption while on suspend and it is the lowest as compared to any x86_64 laptop. 

Thanks.

So, I'm runing Manjaro on EMMC with 5.5.0-3.1 and the "FN - ESC" key combination doesn't seem to do anything.   Is there something I can do to poke the kernel and tell it to suspend?   Will a lid close cause a suspend?  

Code:
$ systemctl suspend

If that works -- and you are using gnome3 -- try installing gnome-power-manager. I was missing after I installed gnome.
Code:
/etc/systemd/logind.conf

Currently, I am pretty happy with manjaro. _Everything_ works and is really snappy. Ordered my NVMe but has not arrived yet.
The primary advantage over other distros (I usually prefer Fedora) is that tsys et al.'s work is integrated quickly here.

Many thanks! The systemctl command is what I was originally hoping for.   Additionally, by fiddling with the settings in XFCE, I was able to confirm that the lid close/open seems to work fine too.

Even though the keyboard command still does not seem to work ( and I even fiddled with logind.conf as you suggested ), I at least have suspend functionality, which makes me happy.
(02-13-2020, 07:53 AM)karlyn Wrote: Thanks hectorzg, I wasn't aware of the revised ansi firmware.   I applied it, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to have resolved the "FN-ESC" issue.   However, I have confirmed that the other methods are working now ( lid closed, lid open, and the systemctl suspend command ).    Even if the keyboard combination doesn't work, the lid switch working makes me happy...

Did you try this step?

Code:
# updating to the revised ansi firmware after steps 1 and 2
sudo ./updater flash-kb firmware/default_ansi.hex
That's what fixed the fn keys for me, anyway I'm glad that you got suspend working.
(02-12-2020, 10:26 AM)spikerguy Wrote:
(02-10-2020, 07:44 PM)xmixahlx Wrote: i tested suspend and also had 30% drain overnight.

There is a new Kernel Released 5.5.0-3.1 which have a better suspend. I have tested 9hrs sleep time with only 1% drain.

Thanks.

Code:

Thanks.

Not all the Key Combinations are added to the Distro yet. Let me see if I can find a way to add this combination. 

Please try Suspend from the Start menu and see if it works. Lid Close to suspend needs to be set in the system settings to make it suspend when the Lid is Closed. 

Thanks,
Manjaro ARM Team.
Devices: Pinebook Pro & PinePhone.
(02-13-2020, 07:53 AM)karlyn Wrote:

Thanks hectorzg, I wasn't aware of the revised ansi firmware.   I applied it, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to have resolved the "FN-ESC" issue.   However, I have confirmed that the other methods are working now ( lid closed, lid open, and the systemctl suspend command ).    Even if the keyboard combination doesn't work, the lid switch working makes me happy...

(02-12-2020, 11:16 AM)hectorzg Wrote: Pacman says that I have that Kernel installed:

Code:

Thanks.

Code:
$ systemctl suspend

Code:
/etc/systemd/logind.conf

Many thanks! The systemctl command is what I was originally hoping for.   Additionally, by fiddling with the settings in XFCE, I was able to confirm that the lid close/open seems to work fine too.

Even though the keyboard command still does not seem to work ( and I even fiddled with logind.conf as you suggested ), I at least have suspend functionality, which makes me happy.

Hi all,

Running 5.5.0-3.1 kernel here. With 60% power left on the battery, I issued "systemctl suspend", waited 6 hours, resumed and the battery was down to 20%. The power depleted just as fast as before the power patch.  What gives?

Cheers!
(02-13-2020, 08:20 AM)hectorzg Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 07:53 AM)karlyn Wrote: Thanks hectorzg, I wasn't aware of the revised ansi firmware.   I applied it, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to have resolved the "FN-ESC" issue.   However, I have confirmed that the other methods are working now ( lid closed, lid open, and the systemctl suspend command ).    Even if the keyboard combination doesn't work, the lid switch working makes me happy...

Did you try this step?

Code:
# updating to the revised ansi firmware after steps 1 and 2
sudo ./updater flash-kb firmware/default_ansi.hex
That's what fixed the fn keys for me, anyway I'm glad that you got suspend working.

Yeah, I did run that last step and it didn't help.   With the lid close/open functionality working, I'm quite happy, so no complaints.    I know my FN-ESC combination worked with the default Debian Mate image ( and that was before I ran the hex update ).    

Again, much appreciative of the help, and I'm happy with the progress with Manjaro.   The battery life and overal experience with the machine is quite good.
(02-13-2020, 04:22 PM)pine73 Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 07:53 AM)karlyn Wrote:

(02-12-2020, 01:24 PM)spikerguy Wrote: No. You already have the latest kernel. Can you try a full discharge cycle and charge it fully and try suspend.

Thanks.

Code:
$ systemctl suspend

Code:
/etc/systemd/logind.conf

Hi all,

Running 5.5.0-3.1 kernel here. With 60% power left on the battery, I issued "systemctl suspend", waited 6 hours, resumed and the battery was down to 20%. The power depleted just as fast as before the power patch.  What gives?

Cheers!

Hi all,

I'm running Manjaro (latest version, kernel 5.5.0-3.1) but S3 sleep was not working out of the box (used s2idle; dmesg was showing "PM: suspend entry (s2idle)").
Finally, I could get it running with the following steps:
  • adding "mem_sleep_default=deep" to the kernel command line (in /boot/boot.txt and then running mkscr); can be checked with:
Code:
[root@pinebookpro ~]# cat /sys/power/mem_sleep
 s2idle [deep]
  • changing the systemd-sleep settings in /etc/systemd/sleep.conf from "SuspendState=freeze" to "SuspendState=mem" (active after reboot or "systemctl daemon-reload")
Now, my system is using S3 sleep ("PM: suspend entry (deep)" in dmesg).
(11-25-2019, 07:14 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 06:07 AM)Wizzard Wrote: Tried that today, wifi seems to be fixed.

Just redshift (still) does not seem to work and neither Retroarch does not run at full speed (tried Sega Genesis and PSX games). Using KDE.

Night Light works well in Wayland sessions, for anyone wondering about the alternative.

Is Redshift still being held back by geoclue? I recall Redshift working on the PB1080 whenever you triggered it, or set the location manually. When attempting automatic, geoclue just never found itself.

Just installed the XFCE edition and loving it! Thanks for all the amazing work!!

On the other hand I've also been unable to get Redshift to work. It doesn't look like it's related to geoclue. Redshift seems to think it's doing its job correctly, but the screen doesn't actually change. Tried drm, randr and vidmode and none work. Running redshift with drm method does work in the OOTB Debian and in Ubuntu Bionic, but not on Manjaro.

Code:
$ redshift -v
Trying location provider `geoclue2'...
Using provider `geoclue2'.
Solar elevations: day above 3.0, night below -6.0
Temperatures: 6500K at day, 3000K at night
Brightness: 1.00:0.70
Gamma (Daytime): 1.000, 1.000, 1.000
Gamma (Night): 1.000, 1.000, 1.000
Gamma ramp size too small: 0
Failed to start adjustment method randr.
Trying next method...
Using method `vidmode'.
Waiting for initial location to become available...
Color temperature: 6500K
Brightness: 1.00
Period: Night
Color temperature: 3000K
Brightness: 0.70
This might be worth paying on the Mankato forums too. I think several can't get redshift working.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 7 801 03-31-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: u974615
  Manjaro Sway Theme Broken Eighty8 1 258 03-08-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,426 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
Question Manjaro with Full Disk Encryption and GRUB dumetrulo 1 1,716 02-02-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: frankkinney
  Manjaro network problem late 2023 acruhl 1 304 01-19-2024, 11:32 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 2,066 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 2,140 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 87,880 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Manjaro 20.04 not loading from SD (with Manjaro on eMMC) zaius 1 383 12-07-2023, 03:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 1,170 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX