Arguments for android support
(02-01-2020, 07:29 AM)Wizzard Wrote:
(01-31-2020, 11:43 PM)tllim Wrote:
(01-30-2020, 02:04 AM)Wizzard Wrote: Please, also root support and Google Play Smile

Root support should able to accomplish. However, once rooted, there is no Google Play.
Why?

As I have been told by Android engineer, the PlayStore doesn't work on rooted build.
I dont understand that, I always have root on my phones and all of them have also Play Store.
Is there a reason to start a 9.0 build instead of a 10 build?
I'd like to weigh in..

Android support with google play would be infinitely useful for me. Why? Microsoft office (as someone else pointed out)..

I have the use case here, where work is enrolled in the O365 world entirely, and for all its proprietary faults, its quite handy. Essentially, I need it to do my job.

What I don't need, is Windows.. Well, I suppose I do.. I have an android tablet and I have enrolled that in my companys O365 stuff - I get more work done on that (avoiding windows by choice that way) but its not a great solution.. I much prefer a real keyboard and mouse.

If Android with the play store could work, I could more or less ditch my work laptop in favour of something super light weight with great battery.

I can't offer anything in terms of development or advanced config, but I am happy to use, test and encourage as much as I can.
(02-04-2020, 01:54 PM)swulff Wrote: I'd like to weigh in..

Android support with google play would be infinitely useful for me. Why? Microsoft office (as someone else pointed out)..

I have the use case here, where work is enrolled in the O365 world entirely, and for all its proprietary faults, its quite handy. Essentially, I need it to do my job.

What I don't need, is Windows.. Well, I suppose I do.. I have an android tablet and I have enrolled that in my companys O365 stuff - I get more work done on that (avoiding windows by choice that way) but its not a great solution.. I much prefer a real keyboard and mouse.

If Android with the play store could work, I could more or less ditch my work laptop in favour of something super light weight with great battery.

I can't offer anything in terms of development or advanced config, but I am happy to use, test and encourage as much as I can.

Not to discount our plea for a better Android image, but have you tried downloading/installing the O365 apks on the current working build? So far, I haven't had any issues installing any normal apps. Only things like the MicroG suite/Play Store have been an issue.
(02-04-2020, 01:57 PM)tophneal Wrote:
(02-04-2020, 01:54 PM)swulff Wrote: I'd like to weigh in..

Not to discount our plea for a better Android image, but have you tried downloading/installing the O365 apks on the current working build? So far, I haven't had any issues installing any normal apps. Only things like the MicroG suite/Play Store have been an issue.

I haven’t tried yet but I did intend to try it, the only thing is that my device needs to be enrolled by my workplace and they have a lot of rules about it.. no rooted devices for example but I don’t know yet if access to google play is a requirement.  I was hoping to try it this weekend
(02-05-2020, 01:09 AM)swulff Wrote: I haven’t tried yet but I did intend to try it, the only thing is that my device needs to be enrolled by my workplace and they have a lot of rules about it.. no rooted devices for example but I don’t know yet if access to google play is a requirement.  I was hoping to try it this weekend

Well you certainly don't have to worry about root on that Android image.
(02-01-2020, 07:28 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(01-31-2020, 11:43 PM)tllim Wrote:
(01-30-2020, 02:04 AM)Wizzard Wrote: Please, also root support and Google Play Smile

Root support should able to accomplish. However, once rooted, there is no Google Play.

We could use MicroG in place of Google Play for the rooted image. That should circumvent that limitation. Wink

Also, dont forget about Aurora store and such Gplay proxies that work pretty damn well, who needs to have the google play store app when its full of spyware and requires a shit ton of google crapware to run when you can just use an open source app that can do the same job?
(02-07-2020, 03:33 AM)Idaho Wrote: Also, dont forget about Aurora store and such Gplay proxies that work pretty damn well, who needs to have the google play store app when its full of spyware and requires a shit ton of google crapware to run when you can just use an open source app that can do the same job?

Who needs Android without Play Store? It is the essential and the most important part of Android. All of those third party stores are fine as an additional stores, but no so good as Play Store.
I would be interested in an rooted Android build.

Fun for gaming, supports xbox360/ps3 pad over usb. Rooted Android would allow mouse support in RTCW or Jedi Academy.

I can use my play store apps on a bigger screen.

I would like to have a bootable Android 9 build on an SD card for the PBP
Working as a Film Electric and I have been using Linux since around 2002. 
Like to play with Python and Jupyter Lab/Notebooks when not going to the park with my baby girl.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Google on Android? KC9UDX 21 28,528 03-17-2023, 11:35 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  No Android build working! pin 60 83,435 07-03-2021, 06:08 PM
Last Post: justiceankomah
  MD5 On Android jaysistar 0 2,659 03-14-2020, 08:38 AM
Last Post: jaysistar
Exclamation All android buillds on wiki for Microsd missing GPT? TDC_PBP 14 20,679 01-31-2020, 11:22 PM
Last Post: tophneal
  Any word about Android builds? tophneal 36 48,578 01-26-2020, 12:06 AM
Last Post: Account
  Flashing Updated U-Boot on Android tophneal 6 10,277 01-16-2020, 06:05 AM
Last Post: tophneal