Pinebook Pro : GNOME3/gdm3 Debian Buster
Looking forward to a Debian Buster OS release for the Pinebook Pro.  This won't work in Debian Stretch, but improvements were made that are in Buster.  Believe it or not, a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B can boot and run GNOME3 now.

What issues with conflicting custom packages, kernel modules, firmware drivers, etc. might arise when one changes the released OS image and installs:
  • gdm3 in place of lightdm (assuming this is the default display manager used)
  • gnome-core in place of MATE
  • network-manager-gnome
Hi, I can also imagine that the Pinebook Pro would work well with Gnome. In the repositorys of Ubuntu 18.04 is only version 3.28, so we can not try it out right now. You would like to install Gnome 3.30 or later, right? I tried if the Debian Buster builds for the RockPro64 also run on the Pinebook Pro, but that did not work, or I did something wrong. If there is a possibility to install Debian Buster on the Pinebook Pro in the near future I would also try Gnome on it.
I used Debian 9 Stretch for a few years, my favorite desktop was gnome, I really liked it.
But, when I upgraded to the newest Debian 10, I discovered the newest software 'improvements' from "MIT" (Wayland) conflict with the Gnome desktop.
You cannot run as root when using the Gnome desktop.... ! only as user.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(10-06-2019, 02:01 AM)bcnaz Wrote: I used Debian 9 Stretch for a few years, my favorite desktop was gnome,  I really liked it.
    But,  when I upgraded to the newest Debian 10,   I discovered the newest software 'improvements' from "MIT"  (Wayland) conflict with the Gnome desktop.
       You cannot run as root when using the Gnome desktop....  !             only as user.

Yes, the switch to Wayland protocol is breaking some functionality...the clipboard, screenshots, and launching a GUI from Terminal, I have heard about. 

Many Linux operating system distributions, disable root, and prefer one use "sudo -i" in command line shell.   

I think in a graphical shell PolKit is used for authorization, so root isn't required there either. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polkit

Still if the root account is enabled with a password, I would think you could still login to gnome-shell with it.

IT may be possible, BUT I could NOT access root myself, No updating or adding any apps or programs......
I GRUMBLED and wiped it, and put Stretch back on...
At that time, on the official Debian website, they said that Gnome desktop was "incompatible"

LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(10-09-2019, 05:51 PM)bcnaz Wrote: ***

IT may be possible,    BUT  I could NOT  access root myself,  No updating or adding any apps or programs......
                                                  I GRUMBLED and wiped it,  and put Stretch back on...
                                                  At that time,  on the official Debian website,  they said that Gnome desktop was "incompatible"

Could you provide the URL for the 'GNOME desktop "incompatible"' information?  

While discouraged/not-advised, logging in as root might be a gdm3/PAM configuration issue and not a Wayland issue.

I have not tested, but maybe you would like to try.

-- edit /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf [security] section to
  [security] 
  AllowRoot=true

--edit /etc/pam.d/gdm-password comment out this line
  #auth required pam_succeed_if.so user != root quiet_success
It was on the Debian website itself, not some comment from a single individual.
Dated back when they first released Buster.
I Downloaded and installed Buster with Gnome desktop from their New custom download site.
Which in itself is pretty Cool, you simply pick your options, it builds you an operating system with your choices, and minutes later you download it.
I probably should have just tried a different desktop, BUT I was pretty frustrated after spending a couple of days of reading at their site.
* and Gnome has been my favorite desktop across a few different Distro's.

* I "re-installed" Stretch with Gnome and have been using it ever since on my Main 17" Asus laptop (My Home Desktop Replacement)
I do have a pile of laptops that I plan to sell as "re-furbed Linux Laptops" eventually. I have tried quite a variety of Distro's on those.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
It was in the official Debian (lengthy) release notes.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
One should be able to choose "GNOME on X.org" (/usr/lib/systemd/user/gnome-shell-x11.target verses the /usr/lib/systemd/user/gnome-shell-wayland.target) from the gdm3 login screen (clicking the gear icon)...so applications like synaptic will work...enabling logging in as root in gdm3 as mentioned previously not needed.

https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/a...t-on-gnome

https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/a...on-wayland
(10-16-2019, 10:37 AM)u974615 Wrote: I have not tested, but maybe you would like to try.

-- edit /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf [security] section to
  [security] 
  AllowRoot=true

--edit /etc/pam.d/gdm-password comment out this line
  #auth required pam_succeed_if.so user != root quiet_success

This is definitely correct. I have it on 2 Ubuntu/Pop_OS boxes and a Debian Buster.

It's inadvisable. My root accounts are protected with encFS home directories, and the Gnome desktops have flaming RED decorations, theme highlights and terminal profiles, to remind of their potential for accident and abuse. Good root password maintenance is also practiced.
— Jeremiah Cornelius
"Be the first person not to do some­thing, that no one has thought of not doing before’’
— Brian Eno, "Oblique Strategies"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 8 439 03-22-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,110 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 1,912 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 1,979 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 86,609 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 992 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  install debian on pbp jsch 7 3,827 11-22-2023, 04:22 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  How to mainline kernel on daniel thompson's debian installer? hellojack 14 7,027 09-07-2023, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Der Geist der Maschine
  PineBook Pro seems to go to deep sleep, but doesn't wake up pogo 11 4,922 08-31-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Would a Pinebook Pro be good for a Linux newbie? cassado10 6 1,322 08-08-2023, 04:58 AM
Last Post: moobythegoldensock