rockpro64 emmc
Hi all ,

just a quick question , has any one had any success in booting from an emmc on a Rockpro64 using armbian (buster or bullesye) on the 5.* kernels ?

from what I've read ( and content is a bit thin on the ground) it seems like this isn't working yet, is this still the case?
(11-08-2021, 05:21 AM)GreyLinux Wrote: Hi all ,

just a quick question , has any one had any success in booting from an emmc on a Rockpro64 using armbian (buster or bullesye) on the 5.* kernels ?

from what I've read ( and content is a bit thin on the ground) it seems like this isn't working yet, is this still the case?

I have never been able to get an Armbian package to boot on my RockPro64 if the eMMC was installed. I have seen some folk who may have had success but I wasnt sure their reports covered precisely my use case: I came to the conclusion it may work with different eMMC sizes/brands to mine.

With Arch (for Pinebook pro and adjusted for RockPro64 dtb) it works fine for me.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(11-08-2021, 06:15 AM)dukla2000 Wrote:
(11-08-2021, 05:21 AM)GreyLinux Wrote: Hi all ,

I have never been able to get an Armbian package to boot on my RockPro64 if the eMMC was installed. I have seen some folk who may have had success but I wasnt sure their reports covered precisely my use case: I came to the conclusion it may work with different eMMC sizes/brands to mine.

With Arch (for Pinebook pro and adjusted for RockPro64 dtb) it works fine for me.

interesting ,

I did consider arch for the rockpro64 as I use arch on my laptop , I was unsure if I would have issues as I use it as a NAS Server with several docker services . I know arch can be used for a server but I wasn't sure if this would have issues with the pcie card or getting the fan to work that sort of thing.

Ive also just noticed that Armbian might be dropping support for rockpro64 so I might have to consider an alternative earlier than i thought
(11-08-2021, 05:21 AM)GreyLinux Wrote: Has any one had any success in booting from an emmc on a Rockpro64 using armbian (buster or bullesye) on the 5.* kernels ?

Yes. I used Debian Buster, stable, no desktop, kernel 5.10.60. IIRC I wrote the image directly to the emmc with the Pine64 usb emmc adapter.
(11-08-2021, 09:24 AM)Dendrocalamus64 Wrote:
(11-08-2021, 05:21 AM)GreyLinux Wrote: Has any one had any success in booting from an emmc on a Rockpro64 using armbian (buster or bullesye) on the 5.* kernels ?

Yes.  I used Debian Buster, stable, no desktop, kernel 5.10.60.  IIRC I wrote the image directly to the emmc with the Pine64 usb emmc adapter.

I've always been a fan of Debian for use in servers but changed to Armbian when using an Arm based SBC.
have you had any issues with plain Debian on the Rockpro64 , anything special to get working?

to give you an insight into my setup I posted a tutorial here 

do you use the pine64 emmc modules from the store or a different brand ?
I meant the Armbian that is based on Debian Buster, as opposed to an Ubuntu release. Armbian Debian Buster. It just worked, as far as I recall. It was on a Pine store 64GB module.
(11-08-2021, 12:29 PM)Dendrocalamus64 Wrote: I meant the Armbian that is based on Debian Buster, as opposed to an Ubuntu release.  Armbian Debian Buster.  It just worked, as far as I recall.  It was on a Pine store 64GB module.

Thanks for the reply , I really hope armbian continue support of the rockpro64 , currently I use the armbian Debian buster image myself although I was considering updating to bullseye until the possible drop in support I mentioned .
I wonder if plain Debian will work with newer kernels on the emmc if I do have to switch .
I have purchased multiple 'EMMCs' from the 'pine64 store' and there are at least three different brands mixed in.
(The time I purchased the cards is quite far apart.)

Of the cards I own, the one with the brand name 'FORESEE: NCard' is a buggy card and will not boot without special handling.
There have been several similar reports on this brand.
However, the same 'FORESEE' card with a different brand name works perfectly fine without any special operation.

Is the 'EMMC' card you own a buggy card or not ?
I think you need to check that first.
(11-08-2021, 01:06 PM)t4_4t Wrote: I have purchased multiple 'EMMCs' from the 'pine64 store' and there are at least three different brands mixed in.
(The time I purchased the cards is quite far apart.)

Of the cards I own, the one with the brand name 'FORESEE: NCard' is a buggy card and will not boot without special handling.
There have been several similar reports on this brand.
However, the same 'FORESEE' card with a different brand name works perfectly fine without any special operation.

Is the 'EMMC' card you own a buggy card or not ?
I think you need to check that first.
Sorry I should of mentioned in the first post , I haven't bought the emmc module yet , I didn't want to purchase one and it wouldnt work with the newer kernels .

Your post is helpful though as I wasn't aware that pine64 had different brands of emmc with differing results. It might explain why some posts suggest it worked for them and some suggest it didn't .
Is there an options to use a non pine64 emmc module that works with the rockpro64?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Installing Wifi drive for the RockPro64 John45595 0 174 02-10-2024, 11:32 PM
Last Post: John45595
  Can i use this Emmc for Rockpro 64 Supratec 2 574 12-20-2023, 09:12 AM
Last Post: wdt
Wink You don't sell case and fan for "ROCKPro64 4GB Single Board Computer"? Clea 1 673 09-17-2023, 12:00 AM
Last Post: tllim
  Want to check maximum toggle speed in Rockpro64 board. kundanjha 0 627 08-14-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: kundanjha
  Unable to boot Armbian on new RockPro64 mooseball 5 4,085 07-14-2023, 08:59 AM
Last Post: rockjonn
  Hardware fix for software sound problem on Rockpro64 Ricks Rockpro 0 835 04-06-2023, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Ricks Rockpro
  No sound on Rockpro64 with OpenWrt Patrice 1 1,240 04-06-2023, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Ricks Rockpro
  Cant get rockpro64 working brasilikum 3 1,702 03-19-2023, 06:22 AM
Last Post: runyor
  RockPro64 Stopped working WarpLover 5 2,519 02-06-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: diizzy
Lightbulb ROCKPro64 + SSD case model for 3D print Spater 0 959 01-27-2023, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Spater