U-Boot on SPI flash - discussion
#21
Greetings all,

It has been some time, but I have finally had some time to experiment with this. I was going to use the Pomona clip method using a separate SBC to program the flash, but @tsys  recommended a different approach, writing to SPI flash using u-boot (on a micro SD card).

I am still a u-boot novice, but I learned enough to create an SD card image containing mainline u-boot and the files to write to SPI flash. I tested two separate processes, flashing SPI manually using the u-boot prompt (serial connection required), and flashing the SPI automatically by creating a boot.scr script containing the same instructions used manually. The latter process also includes extra noise to the console letting the user know what is being done. The power LED is also used to emit codes in case serial connection is not possible. Erasing the images written to SPI can be accomplished using the manual approach (serial connection required).

I will document this within the next couple days in the "Pinebook Pro Tutorials" thread.

Keep in mind all I have done is flash u-boot to SPI and interacted with u-boot via serial connection. Next I am going to experiment to see if I can boot to grub efi.


Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad What to can't boot from TF card, EMMC system broken - any advice?do guys? qingss0 1 2,184 12-18-2025, 01:05 AM
Last Post: qingss0
  Bonk to boot biketool 2 2,740 10-21-2025, 09:08 AM
Last Post: biketool
  3 days in, slow/stuck or no boot. lgmpbp2 34 32,446 06-11-2025, 08:53 AM
Last Post: lgmpbp2
  upgrading u-boot--what version? where to get it? bsammon 14 19,970 04-03-2025, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Tazdevl
Tongue Yet another Pinebook Pro won't boot thread pinemouth 5 12,733 12-27-2024, 11:38 AM
Last Post: akash3995
  broken tow-boot hashkeeper 1 4,453 12-25-2024, 10:12 PM
Last Post: jessipinkman
  Cant boot into an OS trashtendenz 3 5,830 10-23-2024, 03:49 AM
Last Post: chaylengordon
  Unable to boot? YossiS 4 4,536 09-04-2024, 10:35 AM
Last Post: wdt
  uboot wont boot to SD card after upgrade jbradley419 7 9,475 01-19-2024, 02:29 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Video Flashing/adjusting on boot and reboot jbradley419 0 2,872 01-16-2024, 09:17 AM
Last Post: jbradley419

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)