Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 28,138
» Latest member: sparkie
» Forum threads: 15,691
» Forum posts: 114,590

Full Statistics

Latest Threads
www.pine64eu.com is block...
Forum: General
Last Post: deuitpym
11 hours ago
» Replies: 3
» Views: 295
Risc-V laptop from Spacem...
Forum: General
11 hours ago
» Replies: 1
» Views: 108
Trackpoint
Forum: Pinebook Pro Hardware and Accessories
Yesterday, 01:29 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 848
How to eraese defekt SPI ...
Forum: Pinebook Pro Hardware and Accessories
Yesterday, 01:23 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 509
Armbian for Pine64 LTS
Forum: Linux on PINE A64-LTS / SOPINE
Last Post: Mark88
Yesterday, 11:18 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 12
Internal WiFi status?
Forum: PineTab Software
Last Post: cringeops
Yesterday, 08:00 AM
» Replies: 34
» Views: 11,288
More powerful smartwatch?
Forum: Getting Started
Last Post: JohnDoes
05-03-2024, 02:05 PM
» Views: 93
Current status of pinenot...
Forum: General Discussion on PineNote
Last Post: Dahrun
05-03-2024, 11:40 AM
» Views: 1,306
PinePhone - boot from mic...
Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone
Last Post: laserpyramid
05-03-2024, 10:09 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 782
bookworm vs trixie discus...
Forum: Mobian on PinePhone
Last Post: zetabeta
05-03-2024, 04:17 AM
» Replies: 23
» Views: 2,357

PINE64 to allow use of SATA disk on network/FTP
Posted by: mwelbourne - 11-12-2019, 01:26 AM - Forum: Pine A64 Projects, Ideas and Tutorials - Replies (10)

Hi. I'm looking for a low cost way of being able to access an 2TB SATA drive across my home network and hopefully the internet. I was looking at using a Raspberry Pi but someone has suggested using a PINE64 because it should be easier to connect the drive. I'm totally new to PINE64, I'd not heard of it until a few days ago.

The drive won't ever be accessed that often, it just seems like a better solution with more access that just having inside a PC.

So, my current thinking is to get a PINE64, probably the 2GB verison, a decent SD card, install openmedia vault, attach the drive to the board and connect the board to my wifi router.

Does this sound like a good plan?

If I'm attaching a SATA drive then I think I can't use and enclosed case?

poor HDD performance - ayufan mainline OMV
Posted by: Mentaluproar - 11-11-2019, 10:26 PM - Forum: Linux on RockPro64 - No Replies

I'm running ayufan's arm64 OMV build on my rockpro64 4GB. I have the official SATA controllor card and 2 WD reds.  I upgraded to buster and dropped in the 5.3.0 mainline kernel from ayufan.  I finally moved everything to a partition on one of the hard drives and use the SD card just for booting and loading the kernel.  After that, it's all on HDD.

The idea is to use it primarily as a nas and run a few background things on it, like octoprint and homebridge, but I also want to be able to have it play netflix or do quick internet searches while I'm working.  It's an odd build, but it's working.  But the hard driver performance is far worse than SD card. Try running apt upgrade.  It sit s and waits on each individual file.  The hard drive isn't thrashing  much either.  It mostly sits there waiting for stuff to do.

I know this wasn't the intended use case for the openmediavault image, but installing openmediavault on the other images led to weird problems, like dmidecode related bootloops.  However, I don't think this level of poor performance is related to OMV.  It just feels like its waiting for each individual step to complete and its much slower.  Where should I look to fix this?

Account activation email never came
Posted by: aaditya - 11-11-2019, 09:57 PM - Forum: General - Replies (2)

Hi,

When I tried to register using a gmail account, I was notified that forum account activation email would be sent for verification.
However, it never came. Over the course of 24 hours I tried 3-4 times, but never got the account activation email.
Then I tried changing to a non-gmail account, and finally got the email.

Please check if there are any issues with the mail server.

upowerd logging noise
Posted by: Der Geist der Maschine - 11-11-2019, 07:18 PM - Forum: Linux on Pinebook Pro - Replies (7)

Upowerd logs every 1 to 2 mins a warning to /var/log/syslog and the systemd journal:

Code:
/var/log/syslog:Nov  4 00:09:57 Debian-Desktop upowerd[1014]: energy_full (38.543400) is greater than energy_full_design (0.000000)
/var/log/syslog:Nov  4 00:11:28 Debian-Desktop upowerd[1014]: energy_full (38.582600) is greater than energy_full_design (0.000000)
/var/log/syslog:Nov  4 00:13:28 Debian-Desktop upowerd[1014]: energy_full (39.366600) is greater than energy_full_design (0.000000)

So far, I have close to 4000 of these entries.

I don't know what energy_full_design is supposed to be. Upowerd gets it from the kernel. To shut up this process, I am now setting energy_full_design in our battery driver to the same value as full_design. If you want to apply my patch, here it is

http://students.engr.scu.edu/~sschaeck/m...y001.patch

Pinebook Pro Portable Documentation
Posted by: hmuller - 11-11-2019, 05:30 PM - Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook Pro - No Replies

I wished to have a local copy of the Pinebook Pro schematics, specifications, and datasheets found on the Pinebook Pro wiki page. The documents are in directories and there is an index.html file to ease navigation to the desired document. The index page is a simple subset of the Pinebook Pro Main Page on the wiki.

If anyone else finds that useful, you can find a zip file containing the files in a directory named doc/ here:

https://github.com/hxmuller/pbp-portable-docs/releases

Update: 15 DEC 2019

New release pushed to the link above. Changes include:

• Added GD25Q127C datasheet to gigadevice/ directory
  • Modified index.html to point to new file
  • Added footnote describing change and link to old file

Similar Smart Watch
Posted by: VMMainFrame - 11-11-2019, 04:59 PM - Forum: General Discussion on PineTime - Replies (3)

There is a Kickstarter project for a "hackable Smart Watch" that uses very similar hardware as the PineTime called the Bangle.js

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gfw...mart-watch

'Temporary failure in name resolution' Internet issue
Posted by: Eggmonkey - 11-11-2019, 02:24 PM - Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook Pro - Replies (4)

I received my Pinebook today and I'm very impressed as it is a great machine.

One issue though: After usually around 2-3 minutes connected to the internet the internet drops on the device and I get 'temporary failure in name resolution' error when I try to ping a website. The net is clearly still up for the rest of my devices so I'm trying to get to the bottom of this issue so I can make pinebook usable. I'm sitting fairly close to the AP so I don't think it is like the 'weak wifi card' issue another user seems to be having

Any one have any ideas? Just thought I would ask before I troubleshoot through half a dozen possible fixes.
Maybe someone else has the same issue and we can learn something. If I fix it I'll write here.

OK, so resolv.conf had nothing in it, so I made it writeable with sudo chmod o+r /etc/resolv.conf, rebooted then it automaticlly added some hosts and the net has stayed up for 10 min so far

pmbootstrap to sdcard
Posted by: Jeb5Blovrueb - 11-11-2019, 02:13 PM - Forum: PostmarketOS on PinePhone - Replies (34)

I've installed pmbootstrap on my PC (git clone https://gitlab.com/postmarketOS/pmbootstrap.git).

Am I right that after running the following commands,

Code:
pmbootstrap init
pmbootstrap install --sdcard /dev/mmcblk0
pmbootstrap shutdown

I now have an sdcard that I can put in a pinephone to start postmarketOS?

Pinebook Pro/NVMe prep ?
Posted by: bcnaz - 11-11-2019, 01:43 PM - Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook Pro - Replies (2)

Concerning the NVMe drive :
  Would using a NVMe to usb adapter be of any assistance to formatting and installing the software to it ?
   If you use a separate computer to download software,  or if you needed to wipe it and reload it, etc...  ?
   I am still waiting for the updated parts to arrive,  and the new drive is just sitting here waiting......

Default user name and password?
Posted by: CryptoRick - 11-11-2019, 01:15 PM - Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook Pro - Replies (2)

Help..