External DVD/CD
Let me preface to saying I neither "need nor want" to be able to use a DVD or CD on the PBP, I'm just curious.

I tried hooking up an external DVD drive and nothing I did could get it to play. Tried many players and added the codecs it said it needed. Nothing will play a DVD

It will play whatever digital video I click on including 1080p .mkv.

I'm curious if anyone else has tried and what the outcome was.
(02-01-2020, 02:46 PM)MIchael Wrote: Let me preface to saying I neither "need nor want" to be able to use a DVD or CD on the PBP, I'm just curious.

I tried hooking up an external DVD drive and nothing I did could get it to play. Tried many players and added the codecs it said it needed. Nothing will play a DVD

It will play whatever digital video I click on including 1080p .mkv.

I'm curious if anyone else has tried and what the outcome was.

Is the DVD showing up in the filesystem?
possibly a kernel module missing on the default build
I've had DVDs playing on both the default Debian and Manjaro. You need to make sure your getting enough power to your external DVD player, i.e. if it has a separate power USB cable, connect it to an external power brick. I doubt you'll be able to power it (certainly not for long) from the pbp battery.
zaius, it shows up in the file system just fine. I'm able to look within the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders and browse the files. I'm just unable to play it on any of the programs.

pjsf, I thought the same might be an issue. On my larger/older laptop it'll play with the power and the data usb are both put into separate ports. It'll allow me to see the files but not play so I thought it'd be a power issue so I plugged the power usb into a OnePlus brick and no dice. Thought maybe too much power so used a regular power brick and still no-go.

I seriously only have 1 DVD in the entire house and it plays just fine on the BluRay player and I have it on digital. I was just cleaning up a little and pulled the little external out and thought I'd try it. More than anything, I just want to be stumped and figure it out, I enjoy the learning.
(02-01-2020, 05:36 PM)MIchael Wrote: zaius, it shows up in the file system just fine. I'm able to look within the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders and browse the files. I'm just unable to play it on any of the programs.

pjsf, I thought the same might be an issue. On my larger/older laptop it'll play with the power and the data usb are both put into separate ports. It'll allow me to see the files but not play so I thought it'd be a power issue so I plugged the power usb into a OnePlus brick and no dice. Thought maybe too much power so used a regular power brick and still no-go.

I seriously only have 1 DVD in the entire house and it plays just fine on the BluRay player and I have it on digital. I was just cleaning up a little and pulled the little external out and thought I'd try it. More than anything, I just want to be stumped and figure it out, I enjoy the learning.

If you can see the files it's less likely to be power, in my case if the disk spins up and the directory structure is readable it'll play, which players did you use? sometimes the results can differ in vlc/smplayer/mpv. Also is this the default os? I think all of those work fine for me under the installed debian image.
Another good place to look would be in the log viewer, if you've changed the default user in anyway, you might have some permission errors in  there.
(02-01-2020, 05:36 PM)MIchael Wrote: zaius, it shows up in the file system just fine. I'm able to look within the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders and browse the files. I'm just unable to play it on any of the programs.

Normal DVD disc is encrypted. You cannot simply try to play the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS file without proper DVD playback software.
Have you tested with VLC?
Have you installed UDF file system?

I played audio CD, DVD and even managed to play Blu-Ray, but it wasn't smooth and new titles won't play, as the AACS key has been revoked with recent discs.
https://youtu.be/JkvDTGm3VYY

Then it is very unlikely it's a power or some other hardware issue.

(02-02-2020, 12:31 AM)tllim Wrote: Normal DVD disc is encrypted. You cannot simply try to play the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS file without proper DVD playback software.

VLC works fine on my MBP, although I have libdvdcss installed.  I  haven't tried it on my PBP. 

So, I would try re-installing VLC.

Then check if libdvdcss is installed.  If not, try installing it.

https://www.videolan.org/developers/libdvdcss.html
https://libre-software.net/dvd-support-o...inux-mint/
One extra thing I had to do under manjaro, was add my user to the 'optical' group, but I don't think that was necessary in Debian.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with External Display After Recent Update reundo 0 1,326 11-18-2021, 06:37 PM
Last Post: reundo
  External Monitor resolution (would like 3840x2160) Phillip Bell 3 2,097 11-17-2021, 10:02 AM
Last Post: Phillip Bell
  External Monitor Recommendations SteveSquatch 1 1,733 02-17-2021, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Arwen
  [split] Change password from external media James Good 11 12,520 07-23-2020, 02:42 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Battery draining with external power while under load? RndmNmbr 17 18,358 06-24-2020, 08:33 PM
Last Post: Syonyk
  Audio jack and external mic? johns 5 6,881 06-10-2020, 12:42 PM
Last Post: tophneal
  Always in 'Charging' state, despite being disconnected from external power phuzy 13 13,139 03-26-2020, 04:12 AM
Last Post: agurenko