Always in 'Charging' state, despite being disconnected from external power
Already ran the updater.

Battery is always in the 'Charging' state despite not being connected to external power.

Persists across power cycles.
Sounds like a hardware issue, does it actually charge?
You should open a support ticket just in case you need some replacement PCB.
Come have a chat in the Pine A64 IRC channel >>
(11-10-2019, 05:11 PM)xalius Wrote: Sounds like a hardware issue, does it actually charge?
You should open a support ticket just in case you need some replacement PCB.
Yes. It charges normally but disconnecting does not change the state.

How would I go about opening a ticket?
I also have this problem on any operating system. On chromium it can't even obtain batrtery status. I guess it goes along with the emmc not being recognized either. even after obtaining a new module (yes switches are set correctly, no it wasn't hotplugged) Hopefully support will get back to me on this
When connecting to a powered USB-C dock, the battery state changes to 'Discharging'.

Not connected to USB-C dock nor 5V via barrel jack: 'Charging', actual state is 'Discharging'
Connected to USB-C dock: 'Discharging', actual state is ???
Connected to 5V via barrel jack: 'Charging', actual state is 'Charging'
I made the same observations with my PBP. I charge it mostly via the barrel plug. It works just fine, but the status is wrong. The values presented in Power Statistics Details don't seem to be plausible, as well.
I'd like to share some new findings, complementing @phuzy's observations.  
  • No charger connected to either charging port -> PBP is always in charging state
  • Charging via the original charger, then unplugging the charger from the mains socket but leaving the charger connected to the PBP. -> A couple of seconds after unplugging the charger from the socket, the PBP briefly changes state to 'discharging', then back to 'charging'.
  • Charging via my phone's USB-C charger, then unplugging the charger from the mains socket but leaving the charger connected to the PBP. -> The PBP  changes state to 'discharging'. As soon as I remove the UBS-C cable, the state changes to 'charging'.
@Luke or @tllim, can you tell whether this is a software or hardware issue?
Have you tried running a different OS from an SD card ?
Just curious, That could be a step in determining if it is a software or hardware problem.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Good point. No, I haven't tried any other OS, yet. If I find the time to try this, I'll post any new findings.
I had a similar issue yesterday with the Manjaro image : the battery status was "charging" even though the laptop was unplugged. Also, the charge percentage was frozen to some value and didn't update anymore. I checked with upower to make sure it wasn't just an UI issue with the tray applet.

Plugging/unplugging the cable didn't fix it but rebooting did.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Charging via USB GloriousCoffee 7 125 Yesterday, 12:01 PM
Last Post: GloriousCoffee
  Universal Power Supply Der Geist der Maschine 7 519 Yesterday, 06:01 AM
Last Post: Kaythe
  Broken power key or keyboard, can I still turn it on? aaspectre 4 223 03-21-2020, 12:48 PM
Last Post: tllim
Question Suspend state: discharge time EreTIk 11 764 02-25-2020, 09:57 AM
Last Post: wdt
  UPDATE - NOW POWERED UP VIA MAINS! Re: PBP No Power dsk70 6 436 02-20-2020, 11:10 PM
Last Post: dsk70
Brick Battery / power question GloriousCoffee 3 250 02-13-2020, 10:02 AM
Last Post: rleasle
  External DVD/CD MIchael 10 444 02-02-2020, 08:28 PM
Last Post: MIchael
  Charging Issue judgeruss 8 420 01-25-2020, 03:54 AM
Last Post: pfeerick
  USB-C charging fpex73 10 876 01-15-2020, 11:38 AM
Last Post: ElektromAn
  Power supply AUS/NZ weka 8 527 01-12-2020, 01:18 AM
Last Post: MrDitchy