PINE64
Always in 'Charging' state, despite being disconnected from external power - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Always in 'Charging' state, despite being disconnected from external power (/showthread.php?tid=8274)

Pages: 1 2

Always in 'Charging' state, despite being disconnected from external power - phuzy - 11-10-2019

Already ran the updater.

Battery is always in the 'Charging' state despite not being connected to external power.

Persists across power cycles.

RE: Always in 'Charging' state, despite being disconnected from external power - xalius - 11-10-2019

Sounds like a hardware issue, does it actually charge?
You should open a support ticket just in case you need some replacement PCB.

RE: Always in 'Charging' state, despite being disconnected from external power - phuzy - 11-10-2019

(11-10-2019, 05:11 PM)xalius Wrote: Sounds like a hardware issue, does it actually charge?
You should open a support ticket just in case you need some replacement PCB.
Yes. It charges normally but disconnecting does not change the state.

How would I go about opening a ticket?

RE: Always in 'Charging' state, despite being disconnected from external power - Baius - 11-12-2019

I also have this problem on any operating system. On chromium it can't even obtain batrtery status. I guess it goes along with the emmc not being recognized either. even after obtaining a new module (yes switches are set correctly, no it wasn't hotplugged) Hopefully support will get back to me on this

RE: Always in 'Charging' state, despite being disconnected from external power - phuzy - 11-22-2019

When connecting to a powered USB-C dock, the battery state changes to 'Discharging'.

Not connected to USB-C dock nor 5V via barrel jack: 'Charging', actual state is 'Discharging'
Connected to USB-C dock: 'Discharging', actual state is ???
Connected to 5V via barrel jack: 'Charging', actual state is 'Charging'

RE: Always in 'Charging' state, despite being disconnected from external power - bigCamel - 11-25-2019

I made the same observations with my PBP. I charge it mostly via the barrel plug. It works just fine, but the status is wrong. The values presented in Power Statistics Details don't seem to be plausible, as well.

RE: Always in 'Charging' state, despite being disconnected from external power - bigCamel - 01-07-2020

I'd like to share some new findings, complementing @phuzy's observations.  
  • No charger connected to either charging port -> PBP is always in charging state
  • Charging via the original charger, then unplugging the charger from the mains socket but leaving the charger connected to the PBP. -> A couple of seconds after unplugging the charger from the socket, the PBP briefly changes state to 'discharging', then back to 'charging'.
  • Charging via my phone's USB-C charger, then unplugging the charger from the mains socket but leaving the charger connected to the PBP. -> The PBP  changes state to 'discharging'. As soon as I remove the UBS-C cable, the state changes to 'charging'.
@Luke or @tllim, can you tell whether this is a software or hardware issue?

RE: Always in 'Charging' state, despite being disconnected from external power - bcnaz - 01-07-2020

Have you tried running a different OS from an SD card ?
Just curious, That could be a step in determining if it is a software or hardware problem.

RE: Always in 'Charging' state, despite being disconnected from external power - bigCamel - 01-08-2020

Good point. No, I haven't tried any other OS, yet. If I find the time to try this, I'll post any new findings.

RE: Always in 'Charging' state, despite being disconnected from external power - Gazoche - 01-08-2020

I had a similar issue yesterday with the Manjaro image : the battery status was "charging" even though the laptop was unplugged. Also, the charge percentage was frozen to some value and didn't update anymore. I checked with upower to make sure it wasn't just an UI issue with the tray applet.

Plugging/unplugging the cable didn't fix it but rebooting did.