Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 28,098
» Latest member: eriesshirt
» Forum threads: 15,675
» Forum posts: 114,527

Full Statistics

Latest Threads
[Star64] Help needed in u...
Forum: Getting Started
Last Post: InterestedinFOSS
10 hours ago
» Replies: 0
» Views: 18
Need help in understandin...
Forum: General
Last Post: InterestedinFOSS
11 hours ago
» Replies: 0
» Views: 19
Slarm64 on PinePhone [Uno...
Forum: PinePhone Software
Last Post: donchurch
11 hours ago
» Replies: 38
» Views: 24,789
New Hardware
Forum: Pinebook Pro Hardware and Accessories
Last Post: dachalife
Today, 08:41 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 81
bookworm vs trixie discus...
Forum: PinePhone Pro Software
Last Post: mburns
Today, 07:34 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 1,730
PinePhone app development
Forum: PinePhone Software
Last Post: Jonnyc
Today, 05:19 AM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 3,863
debugging issue realted t...
Forum: Manjaro on PinePhone
Last Post: tapirsurfeit
Today, 03:15 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 268
Pinephone Pro + Keyboard ...
Forum: PinePhone Pro Hardware
Last Post: AegisWages
Yesterday, 08:38 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 690
Bluetooth Handsfree Bount...
Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone
Last Post: JohnA
Yesterday, 06:03 AM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 2,073
PinePhone - boot from mic...
Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone
Last Post: bongosunny
Yesterday, 02:22 AM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 534

How to reinstall a broken OS on Pinephone's internal storage?
Posted by: danimations - 01-24-2021, 09:07 PM - Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone - Replies (1)

Hi, I've been Pinephoning since November and things got a bit wonky recently. I kept getting annoying on-screen phone shell alerts, and noticed that connectivity seemed to be dropping out when the phone went to sleep, and I was also concerned that I may have missed calls.

More recently I discovered that the phone could no longer retrieve and install updates, which left me wondering how to overwrite the internally stored OS from scratch.

So I went to Manjaro and downloaded the ARM Beta 5 Phosh version, flashed a microSD and booted my Pinephone from that.

I had hoped that it would present me with an option to install the OS to the internal storage, but keep my phone contacts in the process. It didn't, and I can't find a prompt anywhere to achieve that.

Could someone point me in the right direction please? Big Grin

Thanks in advance.

Rock64: MAC Address is NOT Unique!
Posted by: PDXpi - 01-24-2021, 08:19 PM - Forum: Ethernet Port - Replies (3)

I have two Rock64 boards:

• One is Version 2 (4GB).
  • One is Version 3 (4GB).
I've installed DietPi 6.34.3 on both boards. But I'm not able to connect both to the same broadcast domain at the same time because each has board has the same MAC address (86:e0:c0:ea:fa:a9)!

So I started digging around. And I found that...

I'm not able to find the first 3 octets (86:e0:c0) in any OUI databases. But the kernel ring buffer had these entries...

Code:
e1000e: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver
e1000e: Copyright(c) 1999 - 2015 Intel Corporation.
igb: Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Network Driver
igb: Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Intel Corporation.
igbvf: Intel(R) Gigabit Virtual Function Network Driver

...and...

Code:
RTL8211F Gigabit Ethernet stmmac-0:00: attached PHY driver [RTL8211F Gigabit Ethernet] (mii_bus:phy_addr=stmmac-0:00, irq=POLL)
RTL8211F Gigabit Ethernet stmmac-0:01: attached PHY driver [RTL8211F Gigabit Ethernet] (mii_bus:phy_addr=stmmac-0:01, irq=POLL)

To state the obvious:
  • The first one appears to be related to an Intel PRO/1000 NIC.
  • The second one appears to be a Realtek RTL8211 NIC.
I've read a few of Mark's posts on the subject. And I know/believe that...

1. When setting the MAC address: It should begin with 00:06:dc (i.e., The OUI of Syabas Technology [Amquest]). [ Reference ]
  2. The accepted solution is to specify the MAC address manually in /etc/uEnv.txt using the macaddr= and/or the eth_addr= settings. I may be wrong - But I believe that these settings are now located in /boot/armbianEnv.txt. [ Reference ]
But specifying either one or both has no affect on the MAC address (86:e0:c0:ea:fa:a9)! e.g., Neither setting appears in the Kernel command-line:

Code:
dietpi@DietPi:~$ grep addr  /boot/armbianEnv.txt
ethaddr=00:06:dc:00:00:01
mac_addr=00:06:dc:00:00:01

dietpi@DietPi:~$ ip add | grep ether | awk '{ print $2 }'
86:e0:c0:ea:fa:a9

dietpi@DietPi:~$ cat /proc/cmdline
root=UUID=1542112e-4bd9-4f4a-9660-e9405c792736 rootwait rootfstype=ext4  consoleblank=0 loglevel=4 ubootpart=72193746-01 usb-storage.quirks=0x2537:0x1066:u,0x2537:0x1068:u 

dietpi@DietPi:~$ sudo dmesg | grep 'Kernel command line' | sed 's/\[.*\] //'
Kernel command line: root=UUID=1542112e-4bd9-4f4a-9660-e9405c792736 rootwait rootfstype=ext4  consoleblank=0 loglevel=4 ubootpart=72193746-01 usb-storage.quirks=0x2537:0x1066:u,0x2537:0x1068:u

1. Have I overlooked something besides the solution proposed on the Wiki page? i.e., WNpctool.exe
  2. Is there a solution for folks that don't have MS Windows in their environment? e.g., Linux "purists"
TIA!

Way to Copy / Clone eMMC for Another Phone
Posted by: Codenul - 01-24-2021, 04:48 PM - Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone - Replies (6)

Hello,

Fairly new to the whole PinePhone experience (got my first phone about a week ago), but so far been really enjoying messing around with the phone. I have been customizing Mobian (Phosh) and currently have it on eMMC of a 2GB / 16GB Manjaro Pinephone. I went ahead and ordered another phone (3GB / 32GB Mobian version) and I was wondering what would be the easiest way to transfer this setup (if possible) of what I have currently over to the new phone, once it is shipped and delivered?

Make an image? using dd? Transfer over to SDCard? Another way? 

Thanks for any help!

Getting started
Posted by: Mwo87 - 01-24-2021, 04:26 PM - Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone - Replies (17)

I just received my PinePhone, but can't make calls and texts don't work.

I know I need to enable VoLTE because my provider is T-Mobile in the US, but following the instructions I found here has not worked.

Specifically, when first booting, the phone recognizes my SIM and finds an access point, but after performing the commands listed, those settings go blank.

How can I proceed from here?   Huh

Additionally, the phone goes to sleep and locks the screen after far too short a period of time. How can I change or disable this? There is nothing under settings.

Modem Overheating
Posted by: ReleaseTheGeese - 01-24-2021, 02:27 PM - Forum: PinePhone Hardware - Replies (8)

Greetings,

I'm running Mobian on a v1.1 Pinephone. Unfortunately, every time I enable the hardware switch for the 3G modem it becomes a small convection oven and it goes very hot indeed. I've noticed the same issue happen on my phone with Ubports and Postmarket OS, so the blame doesn't rest with any particular distro.

This is a source of concern. I'm worried that this will wear down my hardware due to the excessive heat.

So, has anyone else noticed the same happen with their modems? Is it a known issue and is a fix planned? I'm hoping it is a driver or power saving problem, and thus solvable through software. If anyone needs more details from my phone, or details of my mobile network to see if it is particular to a certain UK mobile provider, I'll be willing to share.

Regards, R.T.G.

No WIFI network discovery in any manjaro installation (but works on fedora)
Posted by: pineitup - 01-24-2021, 01:01 PM - Forum: Getting Started - Replies (1)

Does anybody have an advice about activating the wifi network discovery on fresh manjaro installation (or when running from SD card)?
When I got the PBP the wifi worked on manjaro but soon after started to show no networks and failure in activating the wifi network interface. I reinstalled manjaro and separately ran from SD card and it's all the same. I also made sure the wifi hardware switch is not activated. When running fedora on an SD card the network discovery works fine.

What can I do to resolve this?

Thanks

Trackpad Adjustments for Xorg
Posted by: ReleaseTheGeese - 01-24-2021, 12:10 PM - Forum: BSD on Pinebook Pro - Replies (3)

Greetings,

I was wondering if anyone has successfully adjusted the trackpad acceleration? The pointer moves a bit too slow for my liking.

A command exists for the synclient on Linux: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/Pinebook_Pr...d_settings. But that's a different driver on a different OS, of course.

A quick look at sysctl didn't bring up anything that looked to do with the trackpad.

I'd appreciate any help.

Regards,
RTG.

Question Manjaro arm + sway - battery indicator broken
Posted by: mfashby - 01-24-2021, 10:02 AM - Forum: Linux on Pinebook Pro - Replies (6)

Hi!

I have a pinebook pro, and I'm running manjaro ARM with sway window manager and it's great Big Grin

...except the latest update broke the battery indicator, and I've no idea how to fix it. It now shows 100% all the time, occasionally flipping to 0% now and then.

Sway seems to use WayBar for the status indicators, and I found the manual for that here: https://github.com/Alexays/Waybar/wiki/Module:-Battery. This seems to indicate it uses the values in /sys/class/power_supply/cw2015-battery/ to read the battery level. Doing that myself seems to give me a sensible looking answer (laptop has been on for a couple of hours)

[martin@martin-pinebook ~]$ cat /sys/class/power_supply/cw2015-battery/capacity

Is anyone else experiencing the same? anyone know how to fix it..?

Downgrading waybar fixed it, and it looks like someone already opened a bug report.
https://github.com/Alexays/Waybar/issues/966

Pinephone = Linux-only smartphone?
Posted by: kuleszdl - 01-24-2021, 06:57 AM - Forum: General - Replies (6)

Hi,

I find advertising the Pinephone as "Linux-only" on the main website a bit irritating. I mean. it's a relatively open device and capable of running any systems that get ported to it. And it is supported by SailfishOS, Android to some degree as well. Suggestion: Change it to "Linux-first".

Can't access MicroSD
Posted by: kvndy - 01-23-2021, 10:50 PM - Forum: PinePhone Hardware - Replies (1)

I can't access any MicroSD inserted into my KDE-Plasma Community Edition PinePhone. I'm not trying to boot off them, I just want to access them as storage. I've tried two cards, a 64G and 128G. Both were formatted as ext4 from my laptop. They do not appear in the results of `lsblk` from the terminal in my PinePhone. I've also tried booting from a Mobian install but that seems futile if I can't access an SD card as storage. Does anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT: Cards are inserted in the upper slot.