Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 28,526
» Latest member: Garesdq1d
» Forum threads: 15,853
» Forum posts: 115,337

Full Statistics

Latest Threads
Some Suspense.... Camerra...
Forum: Mobian on PinePhone
Last Post: biketool
1 hour ago
» Replies: 0
» Views: 3
July 1 upgrade of Mobian ...
Forum: PinePhone Pro Software
Last Post: mburns
Yesterday, 09:56 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 730
desktop and lockscreen
09-25-2024, 05:11 AM
» Views: 56
No HDMI Video - Anything ...
Forum: General Discussion on ROCKPRO64
Last Post: angrymallard
09-25-2024, 04:58 AM
» Views: 33
2024 Sep 21 - PinePhonePr...
Forum: General Discussion of PinePhone Pro
09-25-2024, 04:16 AM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 2,290
bookworm vs trixie discus...
Last Post: zetabeta
09-25-2024, 12:41 AM
» Replies: 36
» Views: 6,641
Can't install some softwa...
Forum: General Discussion on PineTab
Last Post: mikehenson
09-24-2024, 07:49 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 140
Testing Some More Games o...
Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook Pro
Last Post: pigkang
09-24-2024, 01:43 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 3,436
Pinetab 2 Not Powering On...
Forum: General
Last Post: dachalife
09-23-2024, 12:00 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 143
Developing on Mac (M3)
Forum: Development Discussion on PineTime
Last Post: oksalahti
09-23-2024, 01:27 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 83

Does any Os work yet?
Posted by: ianrob99 - 04-21-2016, 11:24 PM - Forum: Getting Started - Replies (4)

I don't know if I am particularly unlucky but every version of Op system I have tried either dies or just doesn't do anything after sign on even after leaving fora bout 20 minutes.  I have the 2gb 64 bit Pine and have tried to date Debian - gives up ghost after initial load!, Ubuntu started to look good but when trying to load firefox and Thunderbird stated something wrong and tried to report without success, gave up after 20 minutes staring at the aport icon.

I used to run various flavours of Linux including Fedora, Ubuntu and Suse on Intel Pcs so am not frightened to dig in a try things but really don't know where to start.  Indeed ran my business on Linux for a number of years before transferring to Apple.

Can any one recommend a working Linux distro for the pine 64 2GB or do I give up and buy a Raspberry?

Youtube Playback?
Posted by: krux - 04-21-2016, 08:37 PM - Forum: Getting Started - Replies (2)

Hey so I got the Ubuntu image loaded. But it seems that when I go to certain sites the page won't load. Also I don't see any youtube videos playing with Midori Browser? Can I install google chrome? I try going to the page but it will just stay blank let me know thanks?

Pine64 Board Appeared Dead (SOLVED)
Posted by: Waunaplay - 04-21-2016, 08:34 PM - Forum: General Discussion on PINE A64(+) - No Replies

Hi All,
  I received my Pine64 2 Gig board as promised.  When I got it, I immediately took to getting it up and running, however, I was quickly stumped. 

First, the light was red, which usually indicates an error, I read up and found that it is just the color of the power light.

Second, I loaded Android on an SD card following the instructions, but when I plugged the board in nothing would appear on the screen. The red light was lit up, but it seemed like the thing was dead. Nothing showed on the screen. I tried Remix, but no difference. I began to suspect that I had a bad board. Tonight, the thought occurred to me, that maybe it wasn't the board. I plugged the board into my TV and found it was working just fine.  The problem was my HDMI to DVI computer monitor setup.  I believe the resolution of the board exceeded what my monitor could handle, and therefore just didn't display anything at all. I still have no idea how to dial back the resolution so my monitor will work, but that is a solvable problem. At least I know the board is good.

If you suspect your board is dead, try hooking it up to an HDMI TV input. 

Hope this helps others,

Wauna

PhoenixCard Burning Error
Posted by: alin123 - 04-21-2016, 07:23 PM - Forum: General Discussion on PINE A64(+) - Replies (11)

I did all the instructions on the wiki to select the image file, format to normal and then burn. Although, part way through the burn it says error and stops. I have tried it multiple times

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thumbs Up Pine64 For sale. UK
Posted by: montyflange - 04-21-2016, 07:14 PM - Forum: General Discussion on PINE A64(+) - Replies (2)

PINE64+ 2GB

Anyone in the UK want to buy my Pine64 ?

I really don't think I'm going to get the chance to use it now. So thought someone else might get some good use from it.

Pine Plex Server
Posted by: s21 - 04-21-2016, 03:57 PM - Forum: Android on Pine A64(+) - No Replies

Anyone know how or have already turned there Pine into a Plex Server?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Which SD card should I use?
Posted by: montero65 - 04-21-2016, 11:35 AM - Forum: Getting Started - Replies (1)

I've seen the user tkaiser link to an SD card performance thread a couple times (http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/954-sd-card-performance/).  From what I understand, random I/O performance is the key factor for SBC use, but that is not something rated on the cards, so you have to test them.

But this text really stuck out to me:

"Always remember that there are a few renowned storage brands that just buy bunches of unknown flash chips to combine them with unknown controllers. Both performance and reliability might vary a lot between different batches"

and

"Then there exist manufacturers that own NAND factories, produce their own controllers, have engineers that do not just think about optimal combinations but realize them and ship final products. Think about the difference to the aforementioned group when buying cards"

So, how do you find which manufacturers just buy whatever, and which own NAND factories?  The thread didn't name them specifically either way.

For those of us newer to the SBC world, and the mentions of junk and fake cards out there, could anyone make a recommendation of which SD cards we should be looking at, and which to avoid?  I was going to use my old Sandisk Ultra 16GB that I had used in my phone previously, but I'm concerned it's not going to cut it.  And if I buy a new one, some suggestion on brands to look at (or avoid) would be greatly appreciated.  Hopefully, some of the other newer users could benefit from this as well.  Thanks.

Question Basic questions about what to expect upon powerup
Posted by: bkodenkt - 04-21-2016, 11:35 AM - Forum: General Discussion on PINE A64(+) - Replies (3)

So, maybe that's kinda noob'ish, but I can't find basic information about what is supposed to happen when I plug the USB power cable...

1. Is the red led meant to to be red all the time, or is it meant to flash or turn green?
2. Ist the red led simply a "power on" indicator?
3. Given 2. is true, when plugging the USB cable, is the system meant to start up or do I have to shorten the power pins?
4. Or does the constant red glow indicate an error of some kind, i.e. weak power supply?

5. When no microsd is inserted, is there a splash or start screen supposed to come up via HDMI?
6. Is there supposed to be an install screen when a microsd is inserted, given that it contains a valid image?

7. I'm using Windows 7, but PhoenixCard 3.10 has no button descriptions - anybody ever had this? I am using the download provided on the wiki and tried to change language-codes within the .ini file to no avail, then burnt an image "blindly" by looking at a screenshot of PhoenixCard 3.10.

Thanks for any advice! And maybe some admin could move this thread to the newbie-section? Didn't see it... Bummer.

WiFi/BT module orientation?
Posted by: millerld - 04-21-2016, 11:26 AM - Forum: Wifi/BT Module - Replies (6)

The WiFi/BT module that came with my Pine 64 (has the antenna wire w/ sticker) can be mounted with the antenna connector facing outside (I assume is correct) or inside (facing the A64 chip).  I saw one post to this forum where it was mounted backwards, so before I do that too which what is correct orientation?

Thanks,
Don

Android flashed, SD card shows empty?
Posted by: montero65 - 04-21-2016, 09:56 AM - Forum: Android on Pine A64(+) - Replies (12)

So I followed the directions from the Wiki, downloaded PhoenixCard, downloaded the Android image, and tried to flash my SD card (16GB).  Ran PhoenixCard software, following the directions, and it finishes, no errors given, says "magic complete".  When I look at the card on my computer though, it doesn't show any files, and shows the card has full capacity still, no storage used.  Is this what I should be seeing?  I thought it would show some amount of memory used on the card.

I've tried with using images "sun50iw1p1_android_db1000_uart0_0216.img" and "android-ver5.1.1-20160303-pine64-phoenixCard.img" so far, but haven't seen anything on the card afterward with either.  Am I missing something, or does this sound right?  New to this stuff, so forgive my ignorance if I should not see anything.  Thanks.