Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 28,539
» Latest member: harryayers
» Forum threads: 15,855
» Forum posts: 115,355

Full Statistics

Latest Threads
Searching for a PinePhone...
Forum: PinePhone Accessories
Last Post: RubiksCube
3 hours ago
» Replies: 0
» Views: 9
PinePhone Beta Edition wi...
Forum: Manjaro on PinePhone
Last Post: spazz
10 hours ago
» Replies: 9
» Views: 8,298
Unable to use umlaut key ...
Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook Pro
Last Post: ili
Yesterday, 01:36 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 74
Shipping Update and Stock...
Forum: News
Last Post: tllim
Yesterday, 11:05 AM
» Replies: 89
» Views: 105,498
Ethical sourcing practice...
Forum: General
Last Post: cinnabarwinner
09-30-2024, 07:19 PM
» Views: 414
FIXED-Newer ver of EC25 M...
Forum: PinePhone Hardware
Last Post: DarciFoxe
09-30-2024, 02:08 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 288
Star64: GPU firmware load...
Forum: Getting Started
Last Post: Marco2024
09-30-2024, 02:49 AM
» Replies: 14
» Views: 6,620
Troubleshooting Pinedio L...
Forum: PinePhone Accessories
Last Post: lavabrilliant
09-29-2024, 09:17 PM
» Views: 513
No HDMI Video - Anything ...
Forum: General Discussion on ROCKPRO64
Last Post: KC9UDX
09-29-2024, 06:54 PM
» Views: 110
Pinetab 2 Not Powering On...
Forum: General
Last Post: tllim
09-29-2024, 12:25 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 210

system too slow to pair and crashes when pairing bluetooth
Posted by: mus1c - 08-27-2016, 08:54 AM - Forum: Accessories - No Replies

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=htt...are_type=t
system too slow to pair and crashes when pairing

Waterproof enclosure for sale
Posted by: mus1c - 08-27-2016, 08:46 AM - Forum: Enclosures - No Replies

I bought this enclosure but when I received it. It was bigger than I thought. Never been used. All parts included.

CAN bus driver
Posted by: ErtiWinter - 08-27-2016, 08:42 AM - Forum: Debian - Replies (1)

Hello

Will the Can bus driver be included in the Debian Linux system.
I can use mcp251x on Raspberry PI2 with the socket can interface.
On Raspberry it is also possible to use Virtual Can interfaces (vcan).

Regards,
Erti

Anyone wanna swap enclosures ?
Posted by: stephen0205 - 08-27-2016, 05:26 AM - Forum: Enclosures - Replies (2)

Hey guys i got my enclosure this morning....Yeah i picked the wrong one i got the playbox one linked here 

playbox

and i meant to pick this one

other one

anyone wanna sawp the bigger playbox for the smaller one ?

Information Howto: Controlling Pine64 GPIO via the filesystem (sysfs) on linux
Posted by: pfeerick - 08-26-2016, 11:52 PM - Forum: Pi2, Euler and Exp GPIO Ports - Replies (4)

So, you received your Pine64 board, and now you want to do the first thing that almost all electronic hobbyists do as their first project... blink an LED.

You might have seen a guide like this one, and gone... "that looks easy" or "I'm confused!". If you have used a Raspberry Pi, you're probably going "it's easy"... but there is a catch. Whilst the pine64 does have a 40 pin connector that is mostly compatible with the Raspberry Pi (ie. important bits like I2C, SPI, power are all in the same places), some bits don't work 100% like the Raspberry Pi. The gremlins we know about so far aren't a big problem as long as you know about them, as they are easily remedied. One or two others are annoying enough that you might just go "I wanted to use pin 7 for my project, but on the pine64 it controls the backlight for the LCD board, and turning it off isn't a one line command, so I'll just use another pin". That sort of thing. There are plenty of other I/O pins to choose from, so not being able to use one without some fiddling isn't a drama for most setups. 

The other thing to be aware of is that if you are using accessing the GPIO (General Purpose Input/Output) pins like I'm about to demonstrate, and are using a nice Raspberry Pi Pinout guide like the nice one that Raspberry Pi Spy does, the GPIO numbers are all different! So if you wanted to connect your LED to pin 15, which is GPIO22 on the Raspberry Pi, and told gpio22 to turn on and off, nothing would happen! The reason for this comes from the fact that the pins are grouped differently on the CPU used on the pine64. The detail isn't important, unless you wanted to work out how to calculate it yourself. If so, have at look at this post, and you'll be able to work out the formula used. Needless to say, if you've done it once, you've done it 100 times, so a nice lookup table is always handy. Joey was kind enough to write up a nice reference table showing the Pine64 GPIO pin number / Raspberry Pi GPIO pin numbering  / physical pin numbers. So keep that handy when you want to work out which pin is which. 

longsleep also wrote a very handy script which converts the pin names (the ones like PC7 and PH5) to sysfs GPIO numbers. All you need to do is download it, make it executable (chmod +x pine64-gpio-number.py) and then run it specifying the pin name as an argument... 

Code:
./pine64-gpio-number.py PC7

... to which the script will then print out "71" and volia... you know what GPIO number PC7 is! btw, you need python3 to run that script, so if it doesn't work properly when you run, you can add python3 by running "sudo apt-get -y install python3", and you can then try the script again.

Now, you have yourself a pine64, you're logged into the terminal either via a serial link, via a network (wired or wireless link), or by with a monitor or keyboard connected to it. If not...  you might want to back up a few steps, and get your system up to a state where you have a running linux distro, and can log into it! Smile

First thing you'll want to do is connect an LED to your pine64 so you can blink it. You have two options. There is actually a place on the board you can add an LED (a smaller 3mm led is best, as standard 5mm leds are a bit to big for where this LED goes). If you have a look near where the headphones socket is on the board, you'll see that there is a place for an IR receiver, a power and reset button, but more importantly for us, an LED (not to be confused with the Chg LED pads next to it - which is for usage with the pine64 battery charge circuitry). You can probably get away with poking the LED into the hole, and bending the leds to keep them under tension, whilst making sure they don't make contact with any contacts on the board, but I would strongly recomment you solder it on, so it makes a good connection. Plus it looks a lot neater! Smile If you take this option, make sure you put the LED in the right way around (cathode - short leg - goes to negative-, and anode - long leg - goes to positive +), otherwise you'll have to take it off and turn it around!! Also, the GPIO number you'll need to use to control this LED is 359, so remember that for later!

The second option is the easier one. You need an LED and a resistor (anything between 220ohm to 1K will do), a breadboard and some connector wires. If you don't have some handy, I strongly recommend you get yourself a set of male to male, male to female, and female to female dupont connector breadboard wires.... you can get a set of 120 for a couple of $$ on eBay, and you'll find them indispensable in future electronics projects. Wire up the breadboard something like the below example. You then connect the end of the resistor (wire on the left side) to a GND pin on the pine64 (pin 39 will do just nicely). For this example, connect the LED positive (wire on the right side) to pin 40 of the pine64. Now you have the LED connected, ready to make it blink. 

Now, at the pine64's console prompt, pressing enter at the end of each line. I will explain the purpose of each command in a moment.

Code:
sudo -i
echo "75" > /sys/class/gpio/export
echo "out" > /sys/class/gpio/gpio75/direction
echo 1 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio75/value
echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio75/value

Line 1 logs you into the root user account on your pine64, as due to how the permissions are configured by default, only the root user can access the GPIO stuff we're about to change. I believe it is possible to change permissions, or use different methods of accessing the GPIO, but that is beyond this scope of this guide.

Line 2 is where the magic starts. Before we can use a pin, we need to make sure it has been initialised. The only bit you would normally change on this line is the number. If you look at Joey's GPIO pinout reference, you'll see that the reason I specified 75 is because that is the pine64 GPIO port number that corresponds with pin40! 

Line 3 tells the pine64 if the GPIO pin is to be an input or an output (the I/O bit in GPIO). Since we want to turn an LED on and off... we want it to be an output. If we had wanted to monitor a swtich or button, we would have specified it to be an "input" instead. 

Lines 4 & 5 are the ones that will be the most exciting, and have been what we've been working towards... Line 4 will make the led turn on ("1"), and Line 5 will make the led turn off ("0"). Think of "1" being "POWER!" and "0" being "NO POWER!", as that is essentially what those lines are doing... turning the pin output on and off. You can run those last two lines as many times as you like... , and if the pin is on and you try to turn it on again... unsurprisingly nothing will happen. 

Now see if you can attach LEDs other GPIO pins, and make them light up! you should be use most of the pins (highlighted in blue on Joey's table). I would avoid using pins 7,8 & 10 however, as they have other functions that could cause unexpected results. 

I hope you have found this guide helpful, and happy blinking!

TODO: Do a better picture, maybe a more entertaining blink script, maybe a video... showing the wiring?

Update on shipment status for ABS case, Playbox enclosure, and ZWave module
Posted by: tllim - 08-26-2016, 04:38 PM - Forum: Shipment Related Discussion - Replies (46)

The dispatch activity already started on August 19 once we confirmed that second batch (there are two batches, first batch deliver on late July)) ABS and Playbox enclosure delivered from factory to China shipping facility on August 22. Until yesterday, the shipping facility already dispatch out 50+% shipment (around 6,000+) and the rest will continue ship out on next week. Due to intense shipment, the shipping facility didn't provide daily tracking number list to KS support team and the list just submitted yesterday. This means once you get the tracking number, your shipment should be already on the way to you.

We have one hiccup on the ZWave AU module arrangement, when we sorting the ZWave type and discovered backers ordered AU type more than we expected where we can only knows from country list. We have immediately placed additional order two weeks ago and the delivery time is September 7. This means part of the ZWave AU deployment (less than 100) will happen on September 7 and we apologize on this hiccup. The EU and US type ZWave module already deployed together with the enclosure delivery. More than 90% ZWave module shipment accompany with ABS enclosure order.

[Update 8/27/2016] The attached file (already deleted for new update list on below) is the excel file with KS, Backerkit order and shipping tracking number. The list that marked yellow means already shipped with tracking number.  The shipping facility still continue shipped out on this week and I will update this list from time to time. If you have any question or inquiry, please email to support@pine64.org, please don't PM me due to this will overload my current loading which is already very heavy. 

[Update 9/02/2016] The below attached file ((already deleted for new update list on below) ) is the excel file with KS, Backerkit order and shipping tracking number till September 2, 2016. The total shipment quantity is 10328 pieces and the shipping facility already shipping out 9651 pieces up till today. Still have 667 pieces to ship out on next week, this includes ZWave AU module shipment once we received additional module from factory on September 7.

[Update 9/23/2016] The below attached file is the excel file with KS, Backerkit order and shipping tracking number till September 23, 2016. The total shipment quantity is 10328 pieces and the shipping facility already shipping out 10268 pieces up till today. The last 60 pieces (contains ZWave AU module) plan to ship out on this week, this concludes the ABS enclosure, playbox enclosure, and ZWave module shipment.

.xls   ABSENCL and PLYBENC and Z-Wave -Shipping update 20160902.xls (Size: 788 KB / Downloads: 595)

Information Console access withouth network or monitor.
Posted by: mypineme - 08-26-2016, 03:27 PM - Forum: POT modules - Replies (6)

This thread describes a successful connection providing a UART Serial Console on a Linux Host however, this should work on Windows and Mac. The PINE64 board used is a 2GB version (A64-DB-2B-Rev B 2016-02-25). The connection is provided by a USB To RS232 adapter purchased from eBay:
NOTE: you would need 3.3v USB To RS232 adapter, otherwise you may fry your PINE64!
[Image: img4.jpg]

The successful connection is made on the EXP connector:

Connect the GND (it should be labeled on the USB Module Adapter) to Pin 6 or 9 of the EXP connector.
    Connect the RX (it should be labeled on the USB Module Adapter) to Pin 7 of the EXP connector.
    Connect the TX (it should be labeled on the USB Module Adapter) to Pin 8 of the EXP connector.
[Image: img5.jpg]

Plug the USB end into your Linux host. Find the tty that has been assigned to it by opening a terminal window and typing

Code:
$ dmesg
. The last group of messages will show you how Linux has mapped the USB module to the tty. In my case the output appears as:
Code:
[ 4806.188739] usb 3-1: new full-speed USB device number 6 using uhci_hcd
[ 4806.338823] usb 3-1: New USB device found, idVendor=1a86, idProduct=7523
[ 4806.338828] usb 3-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[ 4806.338831] usb 3-1: Product: USB2.0-Serial
[ 4806.341875] ch341 3-1:1.0: ch341-uart converter detected
[ 4806.354983] usb 3-1: ch341-uart converter now attached to ttyUSB0
What I'm looking for is:
Code:
[ 4806.354983] usb 3-1: ch341-uart converter now attached to ttyUSB0

The final line of the output indicates the USB Serial Device has been assigned to ttyUSB0 (/dev/ttyUSB0).
There are many ways to connect to serial using Linux OS, I will show you two method that I use.
Method one (terminal):
Code:
$ sudo screeen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200

Method two (UI):
you would still need to run it from terminal as sudo.
Code:
$ sudo gtkterm
1.) Go to Configuration->Port
2.) Select /dev/ttyUSB0 from Port drop down
2.)Change Baud Rate to 115200
3.) Then click OK

Boot the PINE64 and you should see output in the terminal window on your Linux host.

Lightbulb Perfect ABS Plastic Server Enclosure from Radio Shack
Posted by: MarkHaysHarris777 - 08-26-2016, 01:40 PM - Forum: Enclosures - Replies (14)

ABS Plastic Server Enclosure 15.24cmX10.16cmX5.08cm from Radio Shack

This classic Radio Shack ABS Plastic enclosure ( 6x4x2 inches ) is ideal for the pineA64 board, particularly for server applications. These boxes are being marketed by Radio Shack and others like EBay and Amazon. The enclosure is readily modifiable , but is the classic rugged Radio Shack quality ABS box hobbyists and amateurs have come to expect for years.

The box has the classic interchangeable plastic or aluminum base plate fastened by four rugged corner screws. The cabinet is ideally suited (size and shape) for the PineA64 board; with room left for mounting power supply filters, batteries and GPIO cabling, or even a fan.

If you need a ground plane , the aluminum bottom plate (or top plate!) is perfect; else if you need a non Gaussian enclosure the interchangeable ABS plastic bottom plate is also perfect. While I do plan to place my desk Pine board on display in one of Dustin's classy cases, my headless server boards need to be protected too... and this little box is a perfect enclosure.

Touchscreen display mods
Posted by: atomicSoC - 08-26-2016, 08:07 AM - Forum: LCD and Touch Panel - Replies (2)

Hello all, 
I'm looking for some answers you may be able to help me with. I have a screen from a Kindle Fire HD7 and curious whether or not it can be adapted for use with my Pine+? 
I also have a smaller non touchscreen LCD from an old baby monitor that I would like to try. 
Any help would be most appreciated!

Possible to add a boot logo for boot?
Posted by: Darkshadow2913 - 08-26-2016, 07:48 AM - Forum: Debian - Replies (4)

Just wondering if its possible to add a boot image to the image if its possible with the stock image and if so how id have to go about that?