Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 28,539
» Latest member: harryayers
» Forum threads: 15,855
» Forum posts: 115,355

Full Statistics

Latest Threads
Searching for a PinePhone...
Forum: PinePhone Accessories
Last Post: RubiksCube
5 hours ago
» Replies: 0
» Views: 15
PinePhone Beta Edition wi...
Forum: Manjaro on PinePhone
Last Post: spazz
Today, 05:55 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 8,298
Unable to use umlaut key ...
Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook Pro
Last Post: ili
Yesterday, 01:36 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 78
Shipping Update and Stock...
Forum: News
Last Post: tllim
Yesterday, 11:05 AM
» Replies: 89
» Views: 105,504
Ethical sourcing practice...
Forum: General
Last Post: cinnabarwinner
09-30-2024, 07:19 PM
» Views: 415
FIXED-Newer ver of EC25 M...
Forum: PinePhone Hardware
Last Post: DarciFoxe
09-30-2024, 02:08 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 289
Star64: GPU firmware load...
Forum: Getting Started
Last Post: Marco2024
09-30-2024, 02:49 AM
» Replies: 14
» Views: 6,632
Troubleshooting Pinedio L...
Forum: PinePhone Accessories
Last Post: lavabrilliant
09-29-2024, 09:17 PM
» Views: 514
No HDMI Video - Anything ...
Forum: General Discussion on ROCKPRO64
Last Post: KC9UDX
09-29-2024, 06:54 PM
» Views: 111
Pinetab 2 Not Powering On...
Forum: General
Last Post: tllim
09-29-2024, 12:25 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 210

Cross-wired Uart Ports between two Pine Boards via Cat5 Cable
Posted by: MarkHaysHarris777 - 08-29-2016, 02:07 AM - Forum: Pi2, Euler and Exp GPIO Ports - Replies (10)

A Cat5 ethernet cable has four twisted pairs of high quality telephone wire (24 AWG) which may be used to connect the uart ports of two pine boards very effectively ( or between a pine board and a PC using a cp2102 based adapter similar to the one in the following pic. In the pic above I have four colored pairs (blue, orange, green, and brown). Each pair has a solid ie [B (blue)] and its partner the white wire with the stripe ie [Bw].  So we have [ B:Bw, G:Gw, and BR:BRw ]. I am ignoring the orange pair. 

The idea is to connect the uart3 of PineA to the uart0 (serial console) of PineB;  and to connect the uart3 of PineB to the uart0 (serial console) of PineA. The uart(s) of each pine board are cross-wired so that each machine (on ttyS3) may monitor the other machines boot progress on serial console uart0;  not at the same time, of course. 

The machine pictured above is machine PineB. The cable has been constructed so that all of the cross-wiring happens within the cable, so that the yellow and orange jumpers of each end of the cable plugs into uart3 (ttyS3) on the euler bus,  and the green and white jumpers plug into the serial console of each board at uart0 on the EXP header. Orange yellow is crossed with green white,  also G:Gw is crossed with Gw:G, and B:Bw is crossed with Bw:B-- this so that it does not matter which wires plug where on either board as long as both boards are plugged the same way -- they must be consistent !

In the pic above machine PineA is shown.  I have debian mate running on PineA, and ubuntu mate running on PineB. On each board I have the green jumper plugged into uart0 Tx, and the white jumper plugged into Rx.  Again, because the cable is constructed as a cross-over both boards are plugged the same--as long as they are consistent it does not matter.  I have the yellow jumper of each board plugged into uart3 Tx on the euler bus, and the orange jumper of each board plugged into the uart3 Rx on the euler bus for each board.

With this setup I can now monitor the bootup of either board, from the other board; of course, not at the same time. Or, from either board I may signon to the other board without a network connection using the serial console. I am using the screen program to access the ttyS3 (uart3) of each machine with :

Code:
sudo  screen  /dev/ttyS3  115200

The ends of the Cat5 cable have been removed and replaced with standard male header pins (and spacers) ; again, the orange pair has been ignored. Brown is ground, Blue and Green are the uart3 & uart0 crossed pairs, each containing a crossed Tx and Rx line.  No adapters are required; the uart(s) are simply wired together. The cable is something less than 2M and is standard Cat5.

You may need to download the screen program:

Code:
sudo apt-get install screen

In the pic above I'm using the same Cat5 cable with the cp2102 serial ttl bridge adapter to monitor the serial console uart0 of my ubuntu PineB machine. Of course in this setup only one twisted pair is required, and ground.

What OS and emulators are you using for your emulation station?
Posted by: tanarri - 08-28-2016, 10:46 PM - Forum: Game Station Emulation - Replies (2)

So I spent the weekend hanging out with my cousin who brought his retropie along on our family vacation. I have been meaning to load one of my pine slated memory cards up as an emulation station, but after playing on his raspberry pi I have the bug and the need to get this going. What are you using for your OS and what programs are you using for emulation?

Touch screen support
Posted by: shariq_2001 - 08-28-2016, 09:31 PM - Forum: LCD and Touch Panel - Replies (14)

Hi

Is there any update on touch screen support for Linux? Any eta on when the touch/lcd screen will be functional with Linux?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

21 days and still no answer on RMA
Posted by: blackt1ger - 08-28-2016, 05:31 PM - Forum: General Discussion on PINE A64(+) - Replies (5)

I sent an email requesting an RMA number for a bad board on 8/8.  I got a reply from Van requesting my email id and then ...... nothing.  

The details are that I have two boards, one works with the LCD screen and one doesn't.  I've tried re-seating connectors, and used the same SD card.

Why is response so slow....... ? 

How can I get a board that works?

Asked for the missing SD card
Posted by: Quiptix - 08-28-2016, 04:23 PM - Forum: Shipment Related Discussion - Replies (2)

With joy I received the PINE64 Media.
But with surprise I discovered that the SD card with OS and media software is missing, allthough the brag about increasing the size of it. I haven't received any SD card, just an empty SD box and adapter.

I have asked for a new SD card with the proper software without ANY confirmation, result or whatsoever.
I have emailed on several addresses including support and shipping, but nobody seems to respond. Probably all busy with the shipments. But please take time to at least respond to the emails which are sent weeks ago.

For several weeks I'm staring to a beautiful PINE64 as a brick without any software...

I hope to start a support conversation by this forum now...

Vincent

Pine64 FS or Trade?
Posted by: birdcatx7 - 08-28-2016, 08:45 AM - Forum: Shipment Related Discussion - Replies (6)

I'm considering selling my 2gb Pine + accessories. Would there be any interest? I'd consider trading for a Raspberry Pi 3 and any applicable accessories.

System LED mounting option using header pins and remote LED for use in the ABS case
Posted by: MarkHaysHarris777 - 08-28-2016, 01:25 AM - Forum: Pi2, Euler and Exp GPIO Ports - Replies (1)

The pic above shows the modification to the PineA64 board , by adding just the male header pins to the board where the system LED is marked out.  You'll notice how I have removed the pins from the header spacer and soldered them directly into the pcb , at the right height of course. The female-male jumper wires have been soldered to the system LED ( I used a 5mm low power 'bright' LED here ) and they may be plugged into the male header pins easily without difficulty.

In the pic above I have connected the system LED via jumper cables to my male header pins in preparation for mounting this board in my Radio Shack enclosure.

Standard Mounting Standoffs from the Hardware Store
Posted by: MarkHaysHarris777 - 08-28-2016, 12:05 AM - Forum: Enclosures - Replies (2)

In the pic above we're looking at a standard machine bolt 3Mx30.

... these bolts are readily available from any local hardware carrier , and are especially handy as desk stand-offs ( without enclosure ) or they may also be used to 'hang' the board from the top case bezel of an ABS plastic box like the Radio Shack enclosure discussed earlier this week.

These are 3M machine bolts; which means they just fit the holes in the Pine board. I have chosen 30mm posts here, with washers and nuts, so that when my testing is complete I can use the same stand-offs to hang the board from its ABS enclosure top bezel. One of the advantages here is that the height of the board, or the hang off-set, may be adjusted easily with the nuts and washers provided. 

Standard 'stand-offs' may be purchased via electronics whole-salers and retailers, but these bolts are generally less expensive , may be obtained locally , and don't require shipping costs. This is just another option for mounting.

Can't get power button to work
Posted by: AidenH - 08-27-2016, 08:46 PM - Forum: Pine A64 Hardware, Accessories and POT - Replies (17)

Hi,

Today I decided to add a power button to my Pine64. I have a momentary push button switch with a red LED that I got off eBay that I was going to use and I soldered some header wires to use the switch with the EXP connector pins (using pin 5). However, I cannot get the switch to work. It works as a reset switch (using pin 4), but not as a power switch. I also soldered on the included switch to the holes at the front of the board but that does work either. I tired using the System LED pin (pin 2) on the EXP connector for the LED on my button, but that is not working as well. I have the latest release of Ubuntu installed. I don't see what is wrong, the button I have works, but connected to the Pine64 it doesn't? Any ideas?

USB Adapters
Posted by: birdcatx7 - 08-27-2016, 12:05 PM - Forum: Game Station Emulation - No Replies

Ok, so I'm running the latest RemixOs. I have the following:

• 1 third party wired XBOX controller
  • 2 original SNES controllers
  • multiple PS1/PS2 controllers
  • a SNES to usb adapter (two SNES controllers in, one usb out)
  • a PSX/PS2 to usb adapter (two PSX controllers in, one usb out)
Using Retroarch:

1. one PSX controller plugged in, worked fine in the menus, but was non responsive in game
  2. the  third party XBOX controller seems to work just fine in both menu and games
  3. one SNES controller plugged in, worked fine in the menus, but was non responsive in game
  4. on a hunch I disconnected the SNES controller from one adapter port, and plugged into the other one. Now it works in game, but not in menus.
Using SNESRetro 16:

1. one SNES controller works just fine in both menus and in game.
  2. two SNES controllers seem to work fine in menus, but create problems in game.
  3. during co-op, each controller can perform fine one at a time, but if trying to use both at the same time, it creates problems.
  4. switched to the PSX adapter/controllers, and find the same thing.
Conclusion: The pine64 see's each controller as the same, because they're plugged into the same USB port. Can anyone else confirm/refute this?

I currently have a small usb dongle plugged into one port, for my wireless keyboard. That leaves one free port. Now, if I obtained a USB hub and plugged two XBOX controllers into it, would the Pine recognize them as two different controllers, or just one device?