My pinebook Pro does not turn on after installing Manjaro 20.02 kde
Dears, I have my pinebook pro since a few months ago and I had no problems with it. Yesterday I installed Manjaro 20.02 KDE and it worked fine, I installed some packages and then restarted. To my surprise, my Pinebook Pro did not turn on. The screen is black and you can't see anything. I tried to reinstall Manjaro and distro by default from my microsd, but it doesn't work. The screen when inserting the microsd is still black. The first light on the left side of the Pinebook Pro is green. The rest of the lights work when I lock the keyboard or touchpad.

What can I do?
I'm not sure if it's the same problem I encountered a while ago:
But for me the PBP was actually on and booted, just the display was very dark.
Try increasing the brightness with Fn+F2
You could also try to connect an external screen with an USB-C to HDMI converter to see what that does...
It's not a problem with the brightness, I tried pressing Fn+F2, but nothing happens.

I don't have a USB-C to HDMI. I bought one from China, but it will take a few months.

What else could I do?
(05-06-2020, 12:20 PM)iamnotapenguin Wrote: It's not a problem with the brightness, I tried pressing Fn+F2, but nothing happens.

I don't have a USB-C to HDMI. I bought one from China, but it will take a few months.

What else could I do?

Attention Fn + F2 to increase the brightness does not work on my PBP (kernel manjaro 5.6).

Try,  on the xorg terminal as a root user,
the command:

echo 3000> / sys / devices / platform / edp-backlight / backlight / brightness

This same command does not work from console (ctrl-alt-F2), it gives permission denied.

The problem is that the new brightness values now vary from 0 to 4095, a previous value set to 128 gives almost black screen.

It is advisable to prepare an image of the default system to be installed on an SD and use this system.

It happened to me the first time I used a 5.x kernel
In the dark I managed to change the brightness.
I’m having the same issue after running updates this afternoon. It’s not a screen issue as the system never boots. HDMI doesn’t produce any results and I can’t SSH in remotely. It’s acting like the machine is bricked. I’ll try booting from an SD card next.
(05-06-2020, 02:11 PM)IoSer Wrote:
(05-06-2020, 12:20 PM)iamnotapenguin Wrote: It's not a problem with the brightness, I tried pressing Fn+F2, but nothing happens.

What else could I do?

Attention Fn + F2 to increase the brightness does not work on my PBP (kernel manjaro 5.6).

Try,  on the xorg terminal as a root user,
the command:

echo 3000> / sys / devices / platform / edp-backlight / backlight / brightness

This same command does not work from console (ctrl-alt-F2), it gives permission denied.

The problem is that the new brightness values now vary from 0 to 4095, a previous value set to 128 gives almost black screen.

It is advisable to prepare an image of the default system to be installed on an SD and use this system.

It happened to me the first time I used a 5.x kernel
In the dark I managed to change the brightness.

How can I enter the terminal xorg? Thanks. When I boot from my microsd the screen is still black.

(05-06-2020, 06:54 PM)midnightcheese Wrote: I’m having the same issue after running updates this afternoon. It’s not a screen issue as the system never boots. HDMI doesn’t produce any results and I can’t SSH in remotely. It’s acting like the machine is bricked. I’ll try booting from an SD card next.

Tell us if you could fix it!

Thank you, everyone.
In my case I'm able to boot off the SD card. My plan is to reinstall Manjaro using the latest install image. I'm guessing since I had gone so long without updating the system (a month+ due to a mirror transition on the Manjaro end that I didn't discover until yesterday, I must have ended up with some type of Frankenstein system after reboot. There were upgrade conflicts and I'm sure my "solution" wasn't kosher.)
On the manjaro forum,, this is noted
Edit extlinux.conf,, change (4? places ) /something to ../something
Sorry, 3 places, kernel, fdt, initrd
I've tried everything and it still doesn't work. I can access into the terminal without problems, because when I type "poweroff" the computer turns off, but I have not been able to visualize the screen.

I also tried booting from a microsd with Debian, Manjaro, Chromium OS and it still doesn't work. I think that it boot because I can't disable the numeric keypad (the light doesn't turn on or off) and the screen turns on, but it doesn't show anything.

What could I do? Sad

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 3 1,898 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 298 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 238 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 226 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 166 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Manjaro versions bad and good gilwood 0 188 02-12-2024, 05:03 PM
Last Post: gilwood
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 554 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 618 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,217 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,998 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt