As is, centered on device
0%
Centered under spacebar
100.00%
To the right, for right handed use
0%
2 vote(s)
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Center touchpad under typing keys in future versions?
Hello, I'm trying to retrain myself to hold my wrists higher and not accidentally move the cursor with the base of my thumb, but I realized that I only do it with my right hand, and then l Iearned that some laptops center the touchpad under the spacebar, or the g and h keys for this reason. The PBP centers it on the device, leaving it to the right of the lettered keys and probably contributing to accidental touches.

I think moving it to the left to align with the center of the typing position would be a good solution to reduce accidental touches, but I know some people like touchpad more on the right since they use it with their right hand. I use it with both hands, so wouldn't be negatively impacted if it was further left.
(03-20-2020, 05:03 PM)Damon Wrote: Hello, I'm trying to retrain myself to hold my wrists higher and not accidentally move the cursor with the base of my thumb, but I realized that I only do it with my right hand, and then l Iearned that some laptops center the touchpad under the spacebar, or the g and h keys for this reason. The PBP centers it on the device, leaving it to the right of the lettered keys and probably contributing to accidental touches.

I think moving it to the left to align with the center of the typing position would be a good solution to reduce accidental touches, but I know some people like  touchpad more on the right since they use it with their right hand. I use it with both hands, so wouldn't be negatively impacted if it was further left
I don't know if centering the touchpad under the space would help or not. How about a combination of Function keys to just turn it off or on?

Never mind, Just read in the wiki and it works on the ANSI KB: Fn+F7 turns off the trackpad.
(03-20-2020, 09:38 PM)greysuite Wrote: I don't know if centering the touchpad under the space would help or not. How about a combination of Function keys to just turn it off or on?

I guess some people have integrated turning it on and off when typing but that seems like a lot of extra key presses: on each side of any significant text entry. I suspect the location is part of the problem since I only accidentally touch on the side that it would move away from if it were centered under the spacebar.
At this point I'm leaning towards d) Use my Logitech wireless trackball with moulded carrying case.

"Right-clicking" via two-fingered clicking is what I'm finding critically unreliable, and it often has privacy implications (you want to copy a link & strip tracking crap before clicking it? OOPS!)

And I don't really want to tie up a meta key for right-click, because then I'll immediately need to meta-right-click. And the trackball also has a middle button, which many X window applications expect, and some more buttons too.

I already need to carry along the power adaptor, so the trackball isn't much additional baggage & setup.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Touchpad Issues - August 2022 Run SteveCaruso 5 2,792 12-14-2022, 11:00 PM
Last Post: doug
  Future RK3588 model blorp 21 18,787 12-14-2022, 01:20 PM
Last Post: bosi564
  Touchpad notchy on new 2021 pinebook pro Neilcob 21 19,225 07-28-2021, 09:14 AM
Last Post: dsimic
  Some Keys No Longer Working pietenpol 0 1,692 06-05-2021, 05:39 PM
Last Post: pietenpol
  Some keyboard keys not working oddsocks 10 10,431 04-20-2021, 08:33 AM
Last Post: dsimic
  Keyboard - Some keys not working Christoph.Krn 1 3,195 08-27-2020, 07:15 PM
Last Post: rdmarsh
  Major keyboard and touchpad fiemware issues Nick_dnepr 5 6,678 08-03-2020, 02:05 AM
Last Post: Nick_dnepr
  Some keys have stopped working wsgts 1 2,799 04-07-2020, 06:24 AM
Last Post: wsgts
  Touchpad, Keyboard, I2C oh my. resistanceisfutile 12 15,960 04-05-2020, 08:13 PM
Last Post: akirakyle
Bug Fn + F keys screwy for F9, F10, F11 and F12 keithzg 13 14,773 01-22-2020, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Arwen