BraveHeart back case cracking
(02-27-2020, 06:46 PM)visiblink Wrote:
(02-27-2020, 05:56 PM)Beattie Wrote: well the pictures problem has been worked out, but I think If I use the back anymore it will fail completely.

The back of the old HP Pre3's seemed like the same kind of plastic and were prone to breakage. I've kept mine going for years after it developed a crack like yours did -- by putting a carbon fiber skin on it.

Hopefully, Pine64 will make and sell spares. I think there will be a lot of people looking for them eventually.

I don't think a spare is going to be much help, it failed after a couple of weeks, maybe 10 - 20 cycles. If you need to remove the back to change the SD card and change the switches I'm going to need to buy these by the gross.
(02-28-2020, 10:21 AM)Beattie Wrote:
(02-28-2020, 05:46 AM)murak Wrote: My condolences. New backcovers should be available later this year me thinks.

The crack is either a productions malfunction (the plastic injected in the mold might have had a flaw right where the crack appeared) or might be the result of how you are taking the cover off. Are you putting your thumb like I do on the picture below?
New backcovers, unless they are redesigned (design or manufacturing flaw) are not a permanent solution IMHO. I don't think I used excessive force. A new back cover that fails in a month or two is not going to work well. One thing for Pine to consider is that the PinePhone with it's switches needs a more robust back design that other phones.

I believe you about the excessive force thing. Then time will tell if this was a isolated incident caused by a manufacturing flaw or if it indeed is a design flaw. Either way I hope you enjoy your brave heart pinephone =)
"- is there already a tool for overclocking it desperately?" 
I've alerted Luke to this issue. It may be that they need to make a change to the material before going ahead with the final PinePhone production run.

Also, to anyone who has a Braveheart, given the probable fragility of your back cover, my advice is to run your fingernail around the entire back to achieve separation before removing the back ... gently.
(02-28-2020, 07:53 PM)visiblink Wrote: I've alerted Luke to this issue. It may be that they need to make a change to the material before going ahead with the final PinePhone production run.

Also, to anyone who has a Braveheart, given the probable fragility of your back cover, my advice is to run your fingernail around the entire back to achieve separation before removing the back ... gently.
Yeah, but that did not help me.
There exists, in some theoretical way, a 3d model of this case back, for use with 3d printers ...
Such as it is, I have not been able to get any software in my possession to open the file as downloaded, or I would have printed one already because of all the horror stories I have read here.

http://files.pine64.org/doc/PinePhone/Pi...%200.5.stp

(fwiw, my case has opened every time without problems using only my thumbnail ... ymmv)

If anyone can provide a file (.stl for preference) that my slicer will actually accept to generate gcode, I will print you a replacement, without cost or any warranty of fitness for use, using my existing printer and feedstock materials. Paying my shipping costs might be appreciated, depending on their magnitude. To a limited degree (arbitrarily determined) I might extend this offer to others with case - back problems, again strictly as output of my printer in raw form without warranty.

(sorry if I sound like a lawyer there but I want to express the idea that the offer is made with the reservation that I can stop at any time, or change the terms, if it becomes a PITA)
(02-29-2020, 12:10 PM)Beattie Wrote:
(02-28-2020, 07:53 PM)visiblink Wrote: I've alerted Luke to this issue. It may be that they need to make a change to the material before going ahead with the final PinePhone production run.

Not yet, but it may. In the future, you may be able to get a improved replacement version.

(02-29-2020, 06:50 PM)wi_badger Wrote: There exists, in some theoretical way, a 3d model of this case back, for use with 3d printers ...
Such as it is, I have not been able to get any software in my possession to open the file as downloaded, or I would have printed one already because of all the horror stories I have read here.

(fwiw, my case has opened every time without problems using only my thumbnail ... ymmv)

If anyone can provide a file (.stl for preference) that my slicer will actually accept to generate gcode, I will print you a replacement, without cost or any warranty of fitness for use, using my existing printer and feedstock materials. Paying my shipping costs might be appreciated, depending on their magnitude.  To a limited degree (arbitrarily determined) I might extend this offer to others with case - back problems, again strictly as output of my printer in raw form without warranty.

(sorry if I sound like a lawyer there but I want to express the idea that the offer is made with the reservation that I can stop at any time, or change the terms, if it becomes a PITA)

Perhaps you could try running the .stp file through this converter: https://www.makexyz.com/convert/stp-to-stl
Anyone notice one of the side tabs that help with holding the case down was broken right near the crack... it makes me think that the case was put back on incorrectly causing the tab to break (causing it to be an obstruction) then the case was removed causing a crack to form... the current design of the case encourages the user to use an excessive angle of force to open the case, which is at odds with the somewhat evenly spaced lock-down tabs... its generally advised that if plastic tabs are used to use even opening pressure around the device this minimizes excessive angle of force that will cause things to crack or deform etc....
(02-29-2020, 12:10 PM)Beattie Wrote:

I have try out several PinePhone cases and not aware crack issue. My guess is may be particular case quality issue, please file a support ticket at http://support.pine64.org, the support team will  help on RMA process and ship you a new back case.
(02-29-2020, 06:50 PM)wi_badger Wrote: There exists, in some theoretical way, a 3d model of this case back, for use with 3d printers ...

If anyone can provide a file (.stl for preference) that my slicer will actually accept to generate gcode, I will print you a replacement, without cost or any warranty of fitness for use, using my existing printer and feedstock materials. Paying my shipping costs might be appreciated, depending on their magnitude.  To a limited degree (arbitrarily determined) I might extend this offer to others with case - back problems, again strictly as output of my printer in raw form without warranty.

while I sometimes had trouble gettng my fingernail once I did the back came away nicely, it just developed the crack. I oedered a 0.1mm nozzle I just having some trouble with the STL generated by FreeCAD(the back is not flat so slicing for FDM will take some fiddling.

I ,feel sure ,that if you make a small batch ,( colors ) it would be nice to have a rear case in nice condition, to show out with. count me in.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Temporary fix for Modem Not Coming Back on in SXMO Postmarketos Pinephone kebab 2 2,105 07-16-2023, 11:14 AM
Last Post: kebab
  reset button under back cover, below the camera mruser1 2 1,030 01-02-2023, 08:07 AM
Last Post: wibble
  WIRELESS CHARGING ADD-ON CASE Fred Zyphal 4 2,563 08-28-2022, 05:17 PM
Last Post: Fred Zyphal
  Mobile case wanted - with wireless charging! thorensjubilee 4 2,898 03-19-2022, 10:29 AM
Last Post: vap0rtranz
Photo Makeshift Pinephone Case kmsgli 0 970 02-27-2022, 09:24 PM
Last Post: kmsgli
  Selling PinePhone Pro (PPP) with Keyboard Case. almost unused !! ZX Spectrum 3 2,754 02-24-2022, 08:12 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Pinephone braveheart (+ Pinebook Pro) for sale (UK, London) chaoskampf 2 1,889 02-14-2022, 06:42 AM
Last Post: chaoskampf
  Braveheart wrote blank sd to eMMC soy 1 2,345 06-18-2021, 05:13 AM
Last Post: TfromTexas
  Braveheart PinePhone Mainboard Upgrade bridadan 1 2,410 11-26-2020, 07:12 PM
Last Post: LazLong
Thumbs Up Just arrived: the soft clear PinePhone protective case from pine64 kern707 1 2,422 11-20-2020, 06:47 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton