debian+phosh running on PinePhone
The problem is not a japanese layout, one can type japanese with a querz keyboard, but there is some extra layer to interactively convert typed in text to the proper japanese characters. The best free engine for linux that can do this is mozc, but that has to be wired up to the OSK.

Anyway thats offtopic and has nothing to do with your great project of bringing phosh an debian together!
(03-01-2020, 02:25 PM)a-wai Wrote: Hey there !

I've uploaded a new release, with a few changes under the hood:
- fixed the DNS issue
- removed gdm and the default "recommended" packages in order to claim back some space
- update the boot script to allow flashing the image to eMMC (untested, but it is based on pmOS's one, so that should work)
- update the default audio settings
- install nemo as the default file manager (mostly works, but clearly not an app designed for phones, as you'll probably notice... Still, a file manager is always nice to have Wink )

I'm digging into the audio side of things now, hoping to make a few improvements to the audio driver (such as proper headphones presence detection), and then I'll get to the audio routing part, in order to make voice calls work.
Well, that's the plan, but you never know what can go wrong, so don't expect much before a week or two, at least Wink

(02-29-2020, 11:11 PM)buffer Wrote: Anybody have pointers on how we can get calls and texts working on this sweet distro + ui combo? I might be able to help, but don't know where to start
Calls are not working at the moment. In order to get text messages, I strongly suggest that you disable PIN code verification on your SIM card, and it should work Smile
(If you keep PIN code enabled, this can work too, but it's a lot more hassle, such as going to the Settings app to unlock the SIM, and then restart ModemManager -- this is all being worked on, but I can't make any promise as to when this will be fixed)

(03-01-2020, 03:25 AM)ashimokawa Wrote: I suggest to include fonts-noto to have less tofu and cjk fonts in.

And I wonder if it possible to somehow use a different OSK than squeekboard with a real japanese input with mozc backend. Guess not since Purism does not support that.
I'll take your suggestion regarding fonts-noto, thanks!
Unfortunately, for now the only OSK usable with phosh (to my knowledge) is squeekboard, let's just hope someone will contribute a japanese layout soon. Unless someone knows of another option ?

I was just poking around the purism dev docs and found a link to this guide on creating custom keyboard layouts for squeekboard - I haven't tried it yet, but here it is in case one of y'all wants to give it a go: https://developer.puri.sm/projects/squee...orial.html
A64, SOPINE, Rock64, RockPro64, Pinebook1080p, Pinebook Pro, Pinephone, Pinewatch dev kit, Pinetab, Pinecil, Pinenut, Quartz64, Pinephone Pro, and PineNote (so far)
(03-01-2020, 04:14 PM)ashimokawa Wrote: The best free engine for linux that can do this is mozc, but that has to be wired up to the OSK.

I tried this: installed ibus-mozc, japanese locale and some fonts but no luck getting squeekboard to type non-english characters.
If anyone has scaling issues, see this patch for phoc (https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/phoc/merge_requests/73).

I've applied it to the upstream source (https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/phoc/tree/master, cfe191a6339bf6d4513a41787412875cb1ad0f8b) and built a Debian package. Hardly tested it but it appears to work.

PS I can't upload deb packages here. Sad
Note to everyone: if you have a bug/suggestion to report, there's an issue tracker on Gitlab.

I've just started logging a few entries in, so that anyone can be aware of known issues and potential workarounds, and also to keep track of what I need to focus on, but feel free to use it too Wink

And of course, merge requests (on this repo or any other I "maintain") are more than welcome Smile

cmicallef Wrote:If anyone has scaling issues, see this patch for phoc (https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/phoc/merge_requests/73).
There's been some interesting work on phoc lately indeed, I'm hoping they'll release a new version soon-ish for us all to benefit from it Smile
(03-01-2020, 07:28 PM)nas Wrote:
(03-01-2020, 04:14 PM)ashimokawa Wrote: The best free engine for linux that can do this is mozc, but that has to be wired up to the OSK.

I tried this: installed ibus-mozc, japanese locale and some fonts but no luck getting squeekboard to type non-english characters.

I got it running!

apt install fcitx-mozc

then make sure to enable the terminal keyboard (so you will be able to navigate blindly lately)

open fcitx-config, change the language switching hotkey to something (I chose "End", just to test)
the go to the keyboards tab an add mozc with the + button.

The menu that pops up has to be navigated blindly, there is a checkbox which you wont see just above the search input field, you have to uncheck this blindly (click search field, the type cursor up and enter via terminal keyboad), then focus the search field again, type mozc i(you wont see the search result because display is to small and "mozc" string is only 4 character), press tab twice to the invisible OK button, then press enter.

Now you can input japanese with any keyboard and switch with "End" (or other key you chose)

.jpeg   mozc.jpeg (Size: 72.07 KB / Downloads: 316)
(02-29-2020, 06:42 AM)a-wai Wrote: There are a couple differences, but nothing really huge... You'll probably have to manually uninstall gdm3, but that's pretty much all
I should do a bunch of metapackages to make things better when I have some spare time.

If I manually remove gdm3 (dpkg --purge gdm3) the phone no longer boots to phosh but just shows a console.
reinstalling gdm3 makes it work again.
Have tried to flash debian on eMMC, but for installing pmbootstrap pip3 is needed, but isn't available. And no way to install.
(03-02-2020, 09:15 AM)ashimokawa Wrote: If I manually remove gdm3 (dpkg --purge gdm3) the phone no longer boots to phosh but just shows a console.
reinstalling gdm3 makes it work again.
After removing gdm you have to upgrade your packages, otherwise you won't have the updated phosh that starts automatically.

(03-02-2020, 10:32 AM)harvey186 Wrote: Have tried to flash debian on eMMC, but for installing pmbootstrap pip3 is needed, but isn't available. And no way to install.
pmbootstrap is for pmOS only, flashing debian to eMMC is as simple as a "dd" command (ONLY with the latest image, and please keep in mind that this use case is UNTESTED)
(03-02-2020, 10:44 AM)a-wai Wrote: flashing debian to eMMC is as simple as a "dd" command (ONLY with the latest image, and please keep in mind that this use case is UNTESTED)

OK, than I will better stop here, because I only have used dd for copying / safe my raspberry SD cards. Never used it from a running /active SD.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,514 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  unofficial kali linux for pinephone help needed pinesmell 5 3,452 01-08-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: ERPlegend
  Auto start application on Phosh login Zebulon Walton 8 3,106 10-14-2023, 06:29 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  Problem with updates: Repository 'Debian bookworm' changed its 'non-free component' Anna 7 1,913 08-31-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Has anyone got briar-desktop running on mobian? vusra 5 2,863 06-19-2023, 03:02 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Using sway along phosh fdlamotte 2 3,214 05-11-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: kabouik
  Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian arno_nuehm 219 160,372 03-26-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: shulamy
  PinePhone won't boot after software update jb2000 2 1,250 03-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
Wink Pinephone lost graphic during mobian system upgrade cmpin 4 2,060 03-01-2023, 04:45 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  Mobian + phosh firefox ublock and other overlays display bugs tuxcall 3 1,676 02-24-2023, 12:11 AM
Last Post: nexion