Pinebook Pro not powering on / not booting (tried things listed in wiki/forum)
My new pinebook pro worked well when I first used it on Monday (except for the trackpad, but I hadn't done the firmware update yet).
I used it to connect to my desktop via remmina & enjoyed the experience.
Then I closed the lid & left it in my backpack (assuming it would go hibernate/suspend), the next morning it was off and would not turn on anymore.
I assumed the battery had drained so I connect the charger (DC wall-plug, not USB). The red LED next to the charger input lighted up.
I left it charging all afternoon and occasionally tried to turn it on. But it wouldn't even after a couple of hours.
After a couple of hours the red indicator LED stopped lighting up (someone on the irc told me later that indicates full battery - Initially I thought my battery did not charge).

So far I tried a bunch of stuff that was suggested in the forum, or the wiki, but so far nothing has made the device turn on or show any indications of life (leds, screen) when pressing power:

1. remove battery while power plug connected (in case battery had completely drained), wait 5 seconds, reconnect, wait 20 min then press power. Tried this four times total.
2. try if powers up with battery unplugged, DC-plug connected and bypass cable closed -> except high high pitch noise for a few seconds nothing happen
3. checked for loose connections of emmc, daugtherboard, flipped emmc/sd switch.
4. tried to boot from sd (mrfixit2001 image), with emmc/sd switch toggled on or off.
5. hit reset button.
6. flashed emmc via emmc-sd-adapter directly from my laptop with bionic lxde image via dd & tried to boot that.

Thankful for any suggestions.
(01-30-2020, 05:46 PM)kiefer Wrote: So far I tried a bunch of stuff that was suggested in the forum, or the wiki, but so far nothing has made the device turn on or show any indications of life (leds, screen) when pressing power

Have you tried without the battery connected?

Please read this, and the linked engineering notice:

https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pinebo...ass_Cables

Then see if there any signs of life with using only the barrel adapter with the battery completely disconnected.
(01-31-2020, 12:55 PM)zaius Wrote:
(01-30-2020, 05:46 PM)kiefer Wrote: So far I tried a bunch of stuff that was suggested in the forum, or the wiki, but so far nothing has made the device turn on or show any indications of life (leds, screen) when pressing power

Have you tried without the battery connected?

Please read this, and the linked engineering notice:

https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pinebo...ass_Cables

Then see if there any signs of life with using only the barrel adapter with the battery completely disconnected.

@zaius:
Please see point 2. on my list of my original post. I have already tired that!

But I now tried again, so see if the behavior has changed, since I re-flashed the emmc as per point 6. above:

With the battery disconnected, bypass closed upon connecting barrel power the red LED on the backside of the mainboard (above the keyboard next to the on/of symbol) lights up for about 5 seconds along with a high-pitched sound. After 5 seconds the LED goes blank and the high-pitch sound fades.
So pretty similar observation as before... Confused
How long would you estimate that your PBP was charging from its dead state?
(01-31-2020, 02:44 PM)tophneal Wrote: How long would you estimate that your PBP was charging from its dead state?

I approximate 6-7 hours
How long would you say you're waiting for it to boot before calling it as a wash?

Excluding #2 in the OP, do you recall the LED behavior on the attempts to boot?

Have you tried booting a Manjaro SD yet? I've seen a few people go through similar issues after draining the battery and booting something not Debian(-based) got them booted and going again, after a long charge. I know it's an odd suggestion, but you seem to have taken all the other steps I could think of already.
(01-31-2020, 05:11 PM)tophneal Wrote: How long would you say you're waiting for it to boot before calling it as a wash?

Excluding #2 in the OP, do you recall the LED behavior on the attempts to boot?

Have you tried booting a Manjaro SD yet? I've seen a few people go through similar issues after draining the battery and booting something not Debian(-based) got them booted and going again, after a long charge. I know it's an odd suggestion, but you seem to have taken all the other steps I could think of already.

I tried pressing the power button briefly, for a couple of seconds, for more than 10 seconds if that is what you mean?

As mentioned in the OP I do not get any LED responses upon any of my boot attempts (nor the screen). The only time LEDs light up is if I connect power (the LED near the plug in red), or briefly the power LED (the one with the on/off symbol on the keyboard) if I reconnect the battery (with bypass open) or if I apply wall power with bypass closed & battery removed as described above.

I just tried the Manjaro SD. No response either (tried with battery connected & bypass open, or wall power bypass closed and battery disconnected)...
I mean after you see any LED activity, when you would let hit of the power key and wait for the boot you should see.

Sorry I missed that in the OP. Your case is quite the pickle!
I would use the unofficial debian installer and install to the emmc from another computer. you need another *nix computer with git.

make sure the emmc switch is towards the hinge.

honestly other than you saying it was working before... a lot of this sounds like the emmc is either toggled off or not booting.
(01-31-2020, 11:27 PM)tophneal Wrote: Sorry I missed that in the OP.

So I'm in good company  Big Grin

After re-reading more carefully, it still sounds like a power supply problem.

If you have a meter, see if you can measure 5V at the inputs.  Then check the outputs of the regulators.

If you find 0V where there should be 5V or 3.3V, then try disconnecting all sources of power, and see if you can find a discontinuity or short to ground.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions kunger 443 588,317 04-16-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 3 2,291 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 399 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 300 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 291 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 226 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 675 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 741 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,611 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 2,230 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt