An unofficial Debian Installer for Pinebook Pro
(01-12-2021, 02:32 PM)Quanifi Wrote: Daniel, thanks for your contributions to the Pinebook Pro forum. I am trying to update to Debian from Manjaro and I'm getting and error when trying to do the install. Says: "error: could not lock database; file exists, if you are sure a package manager is not already running, you can remove /vsr/lib/pacman/db/lck"
ANy suggestions to get this installed....???

The source of this message is https://github.com/daniel-thompson/pineb...debian#L43, where the script tries to install the packages necessary to bootstrap Debian, and it uses `pacman` to do so. As to what to do about it - the error message you quoted pretty much laid out everything for you already. Check if there are any instances of `pacman` running, and if there are none - remove the file/dir it mentions, re-run the script, ..., profit.
This message was created with 100% recycled electrons
BTW: debootstrap is just a Bash script in /usr/sbin.  Sometimes it helps to look under the hood at what it's doing.

I don't want GPT and I want to install into a specific existing partition on my nvme so I'm running debootstrap manually.  I've used it before a few times.  It hit an error in stage 1 and stopped I guess.  I came back and tried to do stage 2 but it stopped, looking for debootstrap/suite.  Looking at the source I see SUITE is a variable in debootstrap which gets written out to debotstrap/suite at the end of stage 1 and stage 2 looks for it.
(09-25-2020, 07:25 AM)danielt Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 01:55 PM)xmixahlx Wrote: if it is the neon complier issue... are you using gcc 10? just step back to gcc 9.x. or use a git gcc (master is fixed).

hardware decoding working great with the linux build script in pbp-tools.

It is dependant on gcc version although its not the neon issue that is causing the trouble (since that is easy to workaround). I've seen gcc-9 builds that do work but I'm not willing to ship a kernel that doesn't compile with the default Debian compiler... the installer is supposed to be staying as close as possible to pure Debian (and already has a few too many hacks) and shipping code that cannot be compiled with the default compiler isn't good distro engineering.

Hi @danielt 

Is there any update on the gcc issues you encountered?

Until now, my pinebookpro with your installer is running quite fine :-)
However, since the latest kernels did contain quite a lot of updates to schedutil - I'd love to daily drive one of those soon! :-)

Kind regards

Tharadash
Hi, I am trying to install Debian through the installer, but I'm having some trouble with it. The pinebook pro runs mrfixit's image from SD, and I'm trying to install Debian on the emmc. The installer is started with the following command:./install-debian BLKDEV=/dev/mmcblk1 (double checked of course). I posted the error below. What am I doing wrong?

The error:
I: Configuring dbus...
W: Failure while configuring base packages. This will be re-attempted up to five times.
W: See /home/rock/pinebook-pro-debian-installer/sysimage/debootstrap/debootstrap.log for details (possibly the package policykit-1 is at fault)
W: Failure while configuring base packages. This will be re-attempted up to five times.
W: See /home/rock/pinebook-pro-debian-installer/sysimage/debootstrap/debootstrap.log for details (possibly the package policykit-1 is at fault)

>>>> umount

umount: /home/rock/pinebook-pro-debian-installer/sysimage/dev: not mounted
umount: /home/rock/pinebook-pro-debian-installer/sysimage/proc: not mounted
umount: /home/rock/pinebook-pro-debian-installer/sysimage/sys: not mounted
(02-19-2021, 01:40 PM)Fish Wrote: Hi, I am trying to install Debian through the installer, but I'm having some trouble with it. The pinebook pro runs mrfixit's image from SD, and I'm trying to install Debian on the emmc. The installer is started with the following command:./install-debian BLKDEV=/dev/mmcblk1 (double checked of course). I posted the error below. What am I doing wrong?

The error:
I: Configuring dbus...
W: Failure while configuring base packages.  This will be re-attempted up to five times.
W: Failure while configuring base packages.  This will be re-attempted up to five times.

>>>> umount

umount: /home/rock/pinebook-pro-debian-installer/sysimage/dev: not mounted
umount: /home/rock/pinebook-pro-debian-installer/sysimage/proc: not mounted
umount: /home/rock/pinebook-pro-debian-installer/sysimage/sys: not mounted

Have you tried reading what's written on the tin?
Code:
See /home/rock/pinebook-pro-debian-installer/sysimage/debootstrap/debootstrap.log for details
During the installation there appears to be a debootstrap.log file, after the error it deletes the file and the debootstrap directory...
(02-20-2021, 04:18 AM)Fish Wrote: During the installation there appears to be a  debootstrap.log file, after the error it deletes the file and the debootstrap directory...

Hmm... Try adding `--keep-debootstrap-dir` parameter somewhere in https://github.com/daniel-thompson/pineb...#L168-L170? `debootstrap` itself deleting the whole target directory is the only reason I can think of that file being gone, as https://github.com/daniel-thompson/pineb...#L291-L298 doesn't appear to be doing that.
(02-19-2021, 01:40 PM)Fish Wrote: Hi, I am trying to install Debian through the installer, but I'm having some trouble with it. The pinebook pro runs mrfixit's image from SD, and I'm trying to install Debian on the emmc. The installer is started with the following command:./install-debian BLKDEV=/dev/mmcblk1 (double checked of course). I posted the error below. What am I doing wrong?

The error:
~snip~

I just solved this problem while installing Debian on my Pinebook Pro. I used a hint from the Github issues list.

What I did was I searched for and removed "network-manager" from line 170 of the `./install-debian` script. It seems network-manager tries to pull in policy-kit but doesn't know how to, and that causes issues during install. After removing it, wifi worked just fine on first boot if I installed the standard KDE desktop, because I think network-manager gets installed later as a dependency of KDE (probably for other desktops too) but since I wanted a minimal KDE install I also tried installing without full KDE; that broke all internet when I booted into the OS for the first time,  since network-manager never got installed. Turns out that you need to do a `./install-debian do_shell` to get a shell in the new OS as a chroot and then install network-manager while you can still lean on the host OS's network connection. (It's particularly convenient to do so anyway to install stuff like minimal KDE, or gvim, or whatever other must-have software you need out of the box, so you might as well anyway.)
(02-20-2021, 10:35 AM)KiteX3 Wrote:

The error:
~snip~

I just solved this problem while installing Debian on my Pinebook Pro. I used a hint from the Github issues list.

What I did was I searched for and removed "network-manager" from line 170 of the `./install-debian` script. It seems network-manager tries to pull in policy-kit but doesn't know how to, and that causes issues during install. After removing it, wifi worked just fine on first boot if I installed the standard KDE desktop, because I think network-manager gets installed later as a dependency of KDE (probably for other desktops too) but since I wanted a minimal KDE install I also tried installing without full KDE; that broke all internet when I booted into the OS for the first time,  since network-manager never got installed. Turns out that you need to do a `./install-debian do_shell` to get a shell in the new OS as a chroot and then install network-manager while you can still lean on the host OS's network connection. (It's particularly convenient to do so anyway to install stuff like minimal KDE, or gvim, or whatever other must-have software you need out of the box, so you might as well anyway.)

Worked like a charm! Removing network-manager from line 170 did the trick. It was also possible to select different wireless connections after the installation (Gnome3) despite not installing the network-manager.
Glad I could help!

Unfortunately, I've since encountered problems with my own eMMC install of Debian using this installer since then. I was watching a video stream on it, and it was working fine. Then the computer froze at some point. After waiting a good while, I force-restarted my PBP. Now, if it's booting from eMMC, it doesn't even turn on the display at all. The only sign of life is the power LED; it seems to indicate the computer is in a boot loop, since the light tends to repeat a "30-seconds-on, blink off and back on" pattern until I force power off again.

I can still get into the chroot just fine through SD card and ./install-debian do_shell. Does anyone know what might be wrong, and more importantly, how I might fix it?

Edit: I figured it out. I just needed to wait longer, and the OS sorted itself out after several reboot cycles.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 8 456 03-22-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,139 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 1,923 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 1,982 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 86,702 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 1,008 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  install debian on pbp jsch 7 3,836 11-22-2023, 04:22 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  How to mainline kernel on daniel thompson's debian installer? hellojack 14 7,035 09-07-2023, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Der Geist der Maschine
  PineBook Pro seems to go to deep sleep, but doesn't wake up pogo 11 4,934 08-31-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Would a Pinebook Pro be good for a Linux newbie? cassado10 6 1,329 08-08-2023, 04:58 AM
Last Post: moobythegoldensock