Manjaro ARM 19.12 Official Release - PineBook Pro
(02-08-2020, 08:28 AM)llsf Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 06:35 PM)Der Geist der Maschine Wrote:
(02-01-2020, 10:47 AM)Der Geist der Maschine Wrote: Kernel Updates

I installed a small program and that triggered pacman to update the whole system including the kernel. During this process, I realized kernel updates could be handled better:

Kernel updates delete the old modules and so the newly installed modules don't match the running kernel. The running kernel can't now load any further modules. I believe modules should never be deleted by the system (or at least in a much smarter way).

This becomes quite annoying. How do you guys work around this issue?

I can't even insmod a new module with the right path to it  in the old, running, kernel as it refuses to load modules from another kernel version.

Well… a new kernel means you gotta reboot to remain up to date – probably a good way to nudge you in the right direction with regards to having things as recent as possible no matter what Wink

The kernel engineer is working too hard.

Quote:More seriously, though: You can either downgrade the kernel again until you've loaded the modules you need (if this doesn't happen too often), or see if one of the pre-made solutions work for you, like: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/kernel-modules-hook (haven't tested that one, no guarantees for anything).

I tried to downgrade the kernel by following https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title...g_packages "First you need to install Downgrade, which is available in the official repositories of Manjaro."

I took me some time to figure out that (lowercase) downgrade is available in AUR. It does not list any available packages, though.

Code:
manjaro:~# downgrade linux-pinebookpro
manjaro:~#

This time, it was too late for the kernel-modules-hook package. As it's an AUR package, it seems to break from time as it's not developed in sync with the kernel (build) package.

Eventually, I went with compiling the kernel module. Not that it was easy to work around the kernel module magic numbers. Next time, I will be faster.

Quote:On servers, I like only allowing pre-signed modules in my precious kernels anyway – this would probably make this all more hellish. I should fiddle around with that on a desktop Arch someday, just for shits and giggles Big Grin
(02-05-2020, 02:29 AM)keitheis Wrote:
(01-25-2020, 03:18 PM)xmixahlx Wrote: suspend / resume is a known problem with tsys's patched mainline kernel.

if you have skills in this area please feel welcome to fix this!

I found it's fixed in the code commit of tsys on sleep issue released yesterday and suspend/resume working nicely now.

It's still cost 30% battery during the sleep of one night.

(02-05-2020, 09:13 PM)xmixahlx Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 02:29 AM)keitheis Wrote:
(01-25-2020, 03:18 PM)xmixahlx Wrote: suspend / resume is a known problem with tsys's patched mainline kernel.

if you have skills in this area please feel welcome to fix this!

I found it's fixed in the code commit of tsys on sleep issue released yesterday and suspend/resume working nicely now.

It's still cost 30% battery during the sleep of one night.

i rebuilt a 5.5 kernel on debian sid arm64 and can confirm suspend works *better*. for instance, power connection doesn't wake. will test suspend + battery tonight.
Have not checked battery consumption yet while sleeping, but I am happy to get a distro with sleep actually working on my PBP. I have had zero luck with the default debian distro; however Manjaro with the latest patches managed to get sleep/wake working well for me.
i tested suspend and also had 30% drain overnight.
I'm not certain but I think my suspend always worked, but I followed this tutorial to enable suspend + lock.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/636204/h...in-xubuntu
(02-10-2020, 07:44 PM)xmixahlx Wrote: i tested suspend and also had 30% drain overnight.

There is a new Kernel Released 5.5.0-3.1 which have a better suspend. I have tested 9hrs sleep time with only 1% drain.

Please Update and let me know your feedback.

Thanks.
Manjaro ARM Team.
Devices: Pinebook Pro & PinePhone.
(02-12-2020, 10:26 AM)spikerguy Wrote:
(02-10-2020, 07:44 PM)xmixahlx Wrote: i tested suspend and also had 30% drain overnight.

There is a new Kernel Released 5.5.0-3.1 which have a better suspend. I have tested 9hrs sleep time with only 1% drain.

Thanks.

Pacman says that I have that Kernel installed:

Code:
core/linux-pinebookpro 5.5.0-3.1 [installed]

Are there any extra steps we have to do or updating it through pacman takes care of everything?

Thanks for all your work!
(02-12-2020, 11:16 AM)hectorzg Wrote:

Thanks.

Code:

Are there any extra steps we have to do or updating it through pacman takes care of everything?

No. You already have the latest kernel. Can you try a full discharge cycle and charge it fully and try suspend.
Please report back your results. As our Kernel dev have done some power test at hardware level to measure power consumption while on suspend and it is the lowest as compared to any x86_64 laptop. 

I will do another test tonight and report back.
Thanks.
Manjaro ARM Team.
Devices: Pinebook Pro & PinePhone.
(02-12-2020, 01:24 PM)spikerguy Wrote: No. You already have the latest kernel. Can you try a full discharge cycle and charge it fully and try suspend.
Please report back your results. As our Kernel dev have done some power test at hardware level to measure power consumption while on suspend and it is the lowest as compared to any x86_64 laptop. 

Thanks.

Sure I can help but it doesn't seem like the sleep functionality is working as intended on my pbp, I closed the lid with a 56% of battery charge and after three hours I opened it and it was down to 20%.

Maybe I' missing something, I haven't tweak anything on my Manjaro installation.

I read tsys post and he mentions that his latest update only supports BSP u-boot, pacman indicates that I have installed uboot-pinebookpro 2020.01-4.

Let me know if you need more information, I'm kind of new to linux so I'm not sure if I have to do anything to update the u-boot, I remember seeing a comment from pamac after doing an update about running some commands to update the uboot but I didn't follow them because others were having issues.
Hi, I am really liking manjaro, especially now that I can use headphones without also the speakers.

However, I am really having trouble installing MegaSync. I need a Dropbox replacement, and MegaSync works well with with the debian version for PBP, but I have tried installing this several ways for the Manjaro version. I tried installing from the AUR (cofigure, make ...) but have run into roadblocks every way. Anyone have any success with this?
(02-12-2020, 01:24 PM)spikerguy Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 11:16 AM)hectorzg Wrote:

Thanks.

Code:

No. You already have the latest kernel. Can you try a full discharge cycle and charge it fully and try suspend.

Thanks.

So, I'm runing Manjaro on EMMC with 5.5.0-3.1 and the "FN - ESC" key combination doesn't seem to do anything.   Is there something I can do to poke the kernel and tell it to suspend?   Will a lid close cause a suspend?  

Thanks again for the information and work on this.   Suspend and some audio/bluetooth issues are the only things that don't work with Manjaro ( and I don't think the bluetooth/audio issues are really a Manjaro issue ).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 7 1,004 03-31-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: u974615
  Manjaro Sway Theme Broken Eighty8 1 279 03-08-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,577 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
Question Manjaro with Full Disk Encryption and GRUB dumetrulo 1 1,754 02-02-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: frankkinney
  Manjaro network problem late 2023 acruhl 1 328 01-19-2024, 11:32 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 2,139 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 2,215 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 88,615 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Manjaro 20.04 not loading from SD (with Manjaro on eMMC) zaius 1 406 12-07-2023, 03:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 1,229 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX