Manjaro ARM 19.12 Official Release - PineBook Pro
(02-01-2020, 10:47 AM)Der Geist der Maschine Wrote: Kernel Updates

I installed a small program and that triggered pacman to update the whole system including the kernel. During this process, I realized kernel updates could be handled better:

Kernel updates delete the old modules and so the newly installed modules don't match the running kernel. The running kernel can't now load any further modules. I believe modules should never be deleted by the system (or at least in a much smarter way).

This becomes quite annoying. How do you guys work around this issue?

I can't even insmod a new module with the right path to it in the old, running, kernel as it refuses to load modules from another kernel version.
Has the sound output bug been fixed by an update yet or will it be fixed in a future release?
(02-07-2020, 06:35 PM)Der Geist der Maschine Wrote:

I installed a small program and that triggered pacman to update the whole system including the kernel. During this process, I realized kernel updates could be handled better:

Kernel updates delete the old modules and so the newly installed modules don't match the running kernel. The running kernel can't now load any further modules. I believe modules should never be deleted by the system (or at least in a much smarter way).

I can't even insmod a new module with the right path to it  in the old, running, kernel as it refuses to load modules from another kernel version.

Well… a new kernel means you gotta reboot to remain up to date – probably a good way to nudge you in the right direction with regards to having things as recent as possible no matter what ;)

More seriously, though: You can either downgrade the kernel again until you've loaded the modules you need (if this doesn't happen too often), or see if one of the pre-made solutions work for you, like: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/kernel-modules-hook (haven't tested that one, no guarantees for anything).

--

On servers, I like only allowing pre-signed modules in my precious kernels anyway – this would probably make this all more hellish. I should fiddle around with that on a desktop Arch someday, just for shits and giggles :D

/edit

Btw, this might be as good a place as any (as in: it's the Manjaro-Thread): I've finally managed to collect some odds and ends and PKGBUILDS I've made / modified for my own use on the PBP with Manjaro/Arch at https://github.com/lsfxz/pinebookpro-things. They might be of use to someone else but me, so I thought I'd share them.
(02-08-2020, 05:06 AM)Idaho Wrote: Has the sound output bug been fixed by an update yet or will it be fixed in a future release?

(02-08-2020, 08:28 AM)llsf Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 06:35 PM)Der Geist der Maschine Wrote:

I can't even insmod a new module with the right path to it  in the old, running, kernel as it refuses to load modules from another kernel version.

Well… a new kernel means you gotta reboot to remain up to date – probably a good way to nudge you in the right direction with regards to having things as recent as possible no matter what Wink

More seriously, though: You can either downgrade the kernel again until you've loaded the modules you need (if this doesn't happen too often), or see if one of the pre-made solutions work for you, like: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/kernel-modules-hook (haven't tested that one, no guarantees for anything).

--

On servers, I like only allowing pre-signed modules in my precious kernels anyway – this would probably make this all more hellish. I should fiddle around with that on a desktop Arch someday, just for shits and giggles Big Grin

/edit

Btw, this might be as good a place as any (as in: it's the Manjaro-Thread): I've finally managed to collect some odds and ends and PKGBUILDS I've made / modified for my own use on the PBP with Manjaro/Arch at https://github.com/lsfxz/pinebookpro-things. They might be of use to someone else but me, so I thought I'd share them.

With the new kernel users can mute the speaker using alsamixer or by passing the following commands.
Mute speaker so you can listen to audio on headphone.
Code:
sudo amixer sset 'Speaker' mute

Unmute speaker so you can listen to audio on speakers.
Code:
sudo amixer sset 'Speaker' unmute

This will only work with the latest kernel.
Manjaro ARM Team.
Devices: Pinebook Pro & PinePhone.
Hmm good to know, hopefully the bug will be ironed out totally for convenience but this is good progress, I'll switch to Manjaro asap, this is now usable for me...
(02-01-2020, 06:43 AM)agD0i7rY Wrote: for those using the KDE version, updates to the Qt libraries should be avoided.
See this topic on the Manjaro forum: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/new-qt5-es2-...shoutherif

this seams to be fixed now, I have just updated the system without know this thread and everything is working fine Big Grin, I'm using Manjaro Plasma, loving it!
Yes it's fixed, there was a small problem on the package a few days ago but since then it's perfect.
Plasma is really nice Smile
It makes me want to have a Pinephone under Plasma Big Grin
Hi,
What version of LibreOffice and Thunderbird is default in Manjaro ARM 19.12? (or how do I find out without installing :-)
I am not completely satisfied with the default Debian OS of my pbp, as LibreOffice is old and thunderbird not working.

Regards
(02-09-2020, 01:53 PM)flgram Wrote: What version of LibreOffice and Thunderbird is default in Manjaro ARM 19.12? (or how do I find out without installing :-)
I am not completely satisfied with the default Debian OS of my pbp, as LibreOffice is old and thunderbird not working.

You can go to a mirror's page, which you can find from the manjaro homepage, and manually dig around in there, for example this mirror: https://manjaro-arm.moson.eu/stable/aarch64/

You can also use archlinuxarm's search and hope that manjaro will have the same version (which usually is the case within a week or so): https://archlinuxarm.org/packages

Overall you can basically assume that the latest release is available for most common software.
(02-09-2020, 01:53 PM)flgram Wrote: Hi,
What version of LibreOffice and Thunderbird is default in Manjaro ARM 19.12? (or how do I find out without installing :-)

Regards

not answering your question, but debian has multiple versions of libreoffice, etc.:
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=libreoffice

the easiest solution is probably enabling stretch-backports in /etc/sources.list

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 7 1,030 03-31-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: u974615
  Manjaro Sway Theme Broken Eighty8 1 290 03-08-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,607 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
Question Manjaro with Full Disk Encryption and GRUB dumetrulo 1 1,760 02-02-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: frankkinney
  Manjaro network problem late 2023 acruhl 1 335 01-19-2024, 11:32 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 2,150 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 2,232 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 88,829 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Manjaro 20.04 not loading from SD (with Manjaro on eMMC) zaius 1 413 12-07-2023, 03:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 1,246 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX