PCIe 4X socket for optional NVMe adapter -retaing clip broken .
I received my Batch 1 Pinebook Pro on Friday evening and encountered the already discussed problem of the NVMe cable.

Unfortunately, I also have another problem in that as soon as I touched the PCIe 4X socket for the optional NVMe adapter (No.2  on the Wiki diagram), the small grey retaining clip fell off in two pieces  Sad 

Is there a workaround for this or has the loss of this retaining clip rendered the socket effectively useless ?
It is possible that you may be able to retain the cable with tape or glue, or trying to fix the clip with superglue. However, I wouldn't get my hopes up too much. You might be better off trying to warranty claim.
Community administrator and sysadmin for PINE64
(Translation: If something breaks on the website, forum, or chat network, I'm a good person to yell at about it)

(11-04-2019, 05:03 PM)fire219 Wrote: It is possible that you may be able to retain the cable with tape or glue, or trying to fix the clip with superglue.  However, I wouldn't get my hopes up too much. You might be better off trying to warranty claim.

Do you know the manufacturer and part number? Perhaps the part can be ordered from digikey or mouser (in the US, or others in other parts of the world?  The top clip could perhaps be transplanted.
(12-11-2019, 02:55 PM)mgchristensen Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 05:03 PM)fire219 Wrote: It is possible that you may be able to retain the cable with tape or glue, or trying to fix the clip with superglue.  However, I wouldn't get my hopes up too much. You might be better off trying to warranty claim.

Do you know the manufacturer and part number? Perhaps the part can be ordered from digikey or mouser (in the US, or others in other parts of the world?  The top clip could perhaps be transplanted.

On closer inspection I discovered that the side wall of the pcie socket was also broken where it would reatain the grey top clip so I don't think it would be possible to effect a repair.

Although it was suggested that I make a warranty claim, I decided against this for the following reasons:

1. My PBP is a batch1 early adopter unit - minor defects to be expected.

2. Due to the current high demaind for PBPs , pinephones etc, the good folks at Pine64 are already working flat out to get orders shipped to excited community members, so I don't want to burden them with a warranty claim for a defect that whilst dissapointing does not prevent my pbp from working just fine without the optional nvme adaptor.

3.The current unrest in Hong Kong is causing enouth safety and logistical challenges for Pine64 staff without me adding to their worload.

I may, at some point in the future purchase a replacement motherboard for my pbp if I want to use the nvme adaptor, but for now I'm going to let the hard working folks at Pine64 concentrate on getting everyones Pinebook pros and pine phones out in time for Xmas  Smile
(12-13-2019, 08:18 AM)ndp Wrote:

On closer inspection I discovered that the side wall of the pcie socket was also broken where it would reatain the grey top clip so I don't think it would be possible to effect a repair.

Although it was suggested that I make a warranty claim, I decided against this for the following reasons:

2. Due to the current high demaind for PBPs , pinephones etc, the good folks at Pine64 are already working flat out to get orders shipped to excited community members, so I don't want to burden them with a warranty claim for a defect that whilst dissapointing does not prevent my pbp from working just fine without the optional nvme adaptor.

3.The current unrest in Hong Kong is causing enouth safety and logistical challenges for Pine64 staff without me adding to their worload.

I may, at some point in the future purchase a replacement motherboard for my pbp if I want to use the nvme adaptor, but for now I'm going to let the hard working folks at Pine64 concentrate on getting everyones Pinebook pros and pine phones out in time for Xmas  Smile

I would suggest if you want to invoke the warranty claim at all I would have thought that, at minimum, you need to register the problem with Pine Store ASAP whilst the warranty is valid then explain that problem rectification is not time critical and can be dealt with at a more convenient time to both you and Pine Store.

Given that it is only a 30-day warranty.
(12-13-2019, 08:37 AM)neilman Wrote:

I would suggest if you want to invoke the warranty claim at all I would have thought that, at minimum, you need to register the problem with Pine Store ASAP whilst the warranty is valid then explain that problem rectification is not time critical and can be dealt with at a more convenient time to both you and Pine Store.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm pretty sure the 30 warranty has already passed and as previously stated , it's not a big deal as my PBP works just fine apart from the pcie socket and I have the 128Gb emmc so my pbp is perfectly usable.

In my particular case, I would not file a warranty claim as I "fat-fingered" it (old man clumsiness) so for me it is not a product defect.  None the less, I think I can still make a repair, so if anyone has the info, please post the manufacturer and part number. Thanks!
(12-13-2019, 08:58 AM)mgchristensen Wrote:

In my particular case, I would not file a warranty claim as I "fat-fingered" it (old man clumsiness) so for me it is not a product defect.  None the less, I think I can still make a repair, so if anyone has the info, please post the manufacturer and part number. Thanks!
Unfortunately that is a fairly common problem on many of todays laptops.
   That same connector breaks on keyboard ribbon cables.
 I have had to replace motherboards several times for that same breakage.

Sure would be nice if someone came up with a universal repair for those types of connectors.
         Cry
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(12-13-2019, 08:50 AM)ndp Wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm pretty sure the 30 warranty has already passed and as previously stated , it's not a big deal as my PBP works just fine apart from the pcie socket and I have the 128Gb emmc so my pbp is perfectly usable.

Jump PM me your address, I will mail one retainer clip to you.
I appreciate your kind offer but as the PCIE socket itself is damaged,the new retaining clip would have nothing to attach to.

I really am fine using my PBP without this functionality.

I will revisit the PCIE/NVMe stuff at some point in the the future with my next PBP.

For now, I am just enjoying all of the other goodness that the PBP brings.

Thanks again for your kind offer.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Working nVME gilwood 0 138 02-12-2024, 08:46 AM
Last Post: gilwood
  NVME problems 2022 / Intel 660p 1TB Starbug 1 1,391 04-04-2023, 12:16 PM
Last Post: globaltree
Question Broken Camera ? angeloweb 2 1,241 11-28-2022, 09:47 PM
Last Post: angeloweb
Thumbs Up NVMe adapter, Great addition dachalife 2 1,704 11-28-2022, 12:56 PM
Last Post: dachalife
  NVMe drives not detected mattpenn 12 9,966 03-05-2022, 04:53 AM
Last Post: mattpenn
  NVme intall usage? tkudog 2 2,780 03-04-2022, 01:29 AM
Last Post: Tazdevl
  Anyone selling a spare NVMe adapter in Europe? tom.tomasz 1 1,782 01-03-2022, 07:57 AM
Last Post: tom.tomasz
  NVMe-related crashes and instability, plus a solution simonsouth 13 14,290 12-10-2021, 07:47 PM
Last Post: josmo
  Mini-Howto: ROCK64 USB 3.0 WIFI Adapter (Rabbit-ear) on Manjaro Dendrocalamus64 1 2,308 11-14-2021, 03:41 PM
Last Post: Dendrocalamus64
  Broken Screen vxzero 0 1,319 08-26-2021, 09:02 PM
Last Post: vxzero