Getting z-wave module working under ubuntu
Hi,

I'm trying to get the z-wave module working under Ubuntu/Domoticz, however up until now I've not succeeded in this. Does anybody have any pointers or directions to information about how to get the z-wave module up and running (under Ubuntu/Domoticz)?
(10-19-2016, 03:53 AM)marcosti Wrote: Hi,

I'm trying to get the z-wave module working under Ubuntu/Domoticz, however up until now I've not succeeded in this. Does anybody have any pointers or directions to information about how to get the z-wave module up and running (under Ubuntu/Domoticz)?

Hi,

Domoticz only support Z-Wave USB Dongle(/dev/ttyACM0). I tested domoticz with Z-Wave USB Dongle, it working well.

Pine64 Z-Wave module running on bus Z-wave(/dev/ttyS2)

If you using Bus Z-Wave, you can try to use  openHAB
Link #1
Link #2
(10-19-2016, 09:24 AM)klliew Wrote:

Hi,

Domoticz only support Z-Wave USB Dongle(/dev/ttyACM0). I tested domoticz with Z-Wave USB Dongle, it working well.

Link #1
Link #2

"Only support USB dongle"? Where did you get that from?

Domoticz can be run on the RPi with the Razberry Z-wave module so why shouldn't a similar module work? On the RPi you only need to add a tty symlink (don't remember which direction).

I haven't had time to try it yet myself yet but here's a guide for the Razberry: http://www.vesternet.com/resources/appli...AjMOoZeCEd
Backer #16374 - KS funded January 23rd 2016 - Backerkit funded on March 10th 2016 - BOARD RECEIVED ON JUNE 29th - BACKERKIT ORDER FULFILLED ON SEPT 8th
(10-20-2016, 07:54 AM)bonterra Wrote:

Hi,

Link #1
Link #2

Domoticz can be run on the RPi with the Razberry Z-wave module so why shouldn't a similar module work? On the RPi you only need to add a tty symlink (don't remember which direction).

I haven't had time to try it yet myself yet but here's a guide for the Razberry: http://www.vesternet.com/resources/appli...AjMOoZeCEd

Hi bontera,

Thanks for pointing out this. I just get my bus Z-Wave and tested it working.

Running command below:
Code:
ln -s /dev/ttyS2 /dev/ttyACM0

Then restart your domoticz, you will able add the z-wave module into it.
(10-20-2016, 09:59 AM)klliew Wrote:
(10-20-2016, 07:54 AM)bonterra Wrote:

Hi,

Link #1
Link #2

Hi bontera,

Thanks for pointing out this. I just get my bus Z-Wave and tested it working.

Running command below:
Code:
ln -s /dev/ttyS2 /dev/ttyACM0

Then restart your domoticz, you will able add the z-wave module into it.

Okay, I've figured it out, thanks for all your suggestions!!

The way I managed to have the bus Z-Wave working is doing the following:
1. Create the file /etc/udev/rules.d/10-tty.rules, and add the following (copy the complete line, including the quotes and all); 
KERNEL=="ttyS2", SYMLINK+="ttyACM0"

This will make sure that every time you reboot your Pine64, the symbolic link is re-established under the /dev-directory. This is needed since all entries in the /dev-directory are recreated on each boot. So, instead of manually creating a symbolic link each time after the Pine64 boots up, have the udev-rules take care of that for you!

2. make sure that you use beta-releases of Domoticz (under Setup->Settings). Otherwise you will not have the option to select 'OpenZWave USB'.
3. reboot your Pine64, and go to Setup-Hardware and register an OpenZWave USB component, using port '/dev/ttyACM0'

That's it, this enables your bus ZWave module.
(10-20-2016, 02:52 PM)marcosti Wrote: Okay, I've figured it out, thanks for all your suggestions!!

That's great, I'm happy to help.
Backer #16374 - KS funded January 23rd 2016 - Backerkit funded on March 10th 2016 - BOARD RECEIVED ON JUNE 29th - BACKERKIT ORDER FULFILLED ON SEPT 8th
(10-20-2016, 02:52 PM)marcosti wrote: Wrote: Okay, I've figured it out, thanks for all your suggestions!!

The way I managed to have the bus Z-Wave working is doing the following:
1. Create the file /etc/udev/rules.d/10-tty.rules, and add the following (copy the complete line, including the quotes and all); 
KERNEL=="ttyS2", SYMLINK+="ttyACM0"

This will make sure that every time you reboot your Pine64, the symbolic link is re-established under the /dev-directory. This is needed since all entries in the /dev-directory are recreated on each boot. So, instead of manually creating a symbolic link each time after the Pine64 boots up, have the udev-rules take care of that for you!

2. make sure that you use beta-releases of Domoticz (under Setup->Settings). Otherwise you will not have the option to select 'OpenZWave USB'.
3. reboot your Pine64, and go to Setup-Hardware and register an OpenZWave USB component, using port '/dev/ttyACM0'

Hi,

From the above, I got the impression Domoticz requires the device as /dev/ttyACM0.
I had an issue there, as I have a real serial USB device (RFlink on Arduino Mega) and the Ubuntu USB driver wants to give it device name /dev/ttyACM0
And you can't have 2 devices with same name.
Effectively, the link got overwritten when I connected the RFlink, disabling the communication with the Zwave device

After a bit of fiddling and looking through the Domoticz code to see where the hard code /dev/ttyACM0 was, I found that Domoticz actually does NOT require the name to be /dev/ttyACM0 at all. Anything starting with /dev/ttyACM will be accepted.

So I changed the file /etc/udev/rules.d/10-tty.rules into: 

KERNEL=="ttyS2", SYMLINK+="ttyACMZwave"

Now I have BOTH the RFlink (running at real /dev/ttyACM0 port) and the Zwave module (running via symlink device /dev/ttyACMZwave) side by side.
This will not create a conflict, as the ubuntu driver adds numbers behind the /dev/ttyACM name

Might be of help to others...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What would be the right Pinephone OS for me? (mainly from Ubuntu background dev) jcun4128 7 520 01-24-2021, 06:01 AM
Last Post: ryo
  UBUNTU DOING ALL BUT MAKE/RECEIVE CALLS snow season 2 779 11-16-2020, 01:37 PM
Last Post: MonCon
  Reformatting postmarket os with ubuntu touch mackdaddy67 6 2,055 09-11-2020, 12:41 AM
Last Post: SwordfishII
  Ctrl + Shift + Tab not working in Firefox Bolitoglossa 2 970 08-21-2020, 04:05 AM
Last Post: Bolitoglossa
  Input not working after a forced shutdown dic1911 1 1,026 12-24-2018, 07:45 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Any success working with OpenCV on the PineA64? Tonny91 0 942 10-16-2018, 09:16 PM
Last Post: Tonny91
  Sopine A64 doesn't boot ubuntu stixcher 5 2,552 12-03-2017, 11:05 AM
Last Post: tllim
  Pine64 Ubuntu Mate No Sound adamjedgar 3 2,549 11-06-2017, 02:53 AM
Last Post: Luke
  Mini-Tutorial to get a linux Desktop GUI working on Pine64+ speedro86 15 12,829 04-05-2017, 01:45 PM
Last Post: speedro86
  RESOLVED - LCD screen not working, HDMI does asuras 10 5,632 04-02-2017, 08:12 AM
Last Post: Luke