systemic issue pinephone
Hi all-

I bought a regular pinephone (beta).

It seems to want to install booting emmc first.
Being a newbie, I flashed spi on it.
It boots and hands it off to k splash for plasma manjaro.

Then it peters out with a kernel os error.

Pinephone support says reinstall OS which I am attempting to do.

Two things:
1) the pinephone doesnt synch with my pc at this time windows 11.
2) I cant get into the boot order in  the firmware or reset in any way shape or form.

I have another thread posted today where i am debugging this issue but am waiting for further feedback.

It seems strange the choice to go with emmc first because 'stranger things HAVE happened' lol.

Please HELP.... thanks,
jim
(03-21-2024, 03:36 PM)penguins_rule Wrote: Hi all-

I bought a regular pinephone (beta).

It seems to want to install booting emmc first.
Being a newbie, I flashed spi on it.
It boots and hands it off to k splash for plasma manjaro.

Then it peters out with a kernel os error.

Pinephone support says reinstall OS which I am attempting to do.

Two things:
1) the pinephone doesnt synch with my pc at this time windows 11.
2) I cant get into the boot order in  the firmware or reset in any way shape or form.

I have another thread posted today where i am debugging this issue but am waiting for further feedback.

It seems strange the choice to go with emmc first because 'stranger things HAVE happened' lol.

Please HELP.... thanks,
jim
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(4.0s) If you flash to SPI instead of eMMC on your PinePhone, you may experience the following issues: * **Slower performance:** SPI is a slower interface than eMMC, so your phone may perform more slowly overall. * **Less storage space:** SPI chips typically have less storage space than eMMC chips, so you may have to be more careful about what you install on your phone. * **Increased risk of data corruption:** SPI chips are more susceptible to data corruption than eMMC chips, so you may be more likely to lose data if your phone experiences a power failure or other problem. In general, it is not recommended to flash to SPI instead of eMMC on your PinePhone unless you have a specific reason to do so.

I don't think this is the case because another users also had this issue. The ai tells us it is a kernel operating system error.
The K splash screen comes up and the spi handed it to the os <correction sorry i was sleep deprived>  correctly.  It is possible that because of the error i mentioned in the debugging thread that the right firmware didn't get flashed meaning no recovery.img. Problems related to the recovery.img file missing relate to not being able to reset the phone.

just trying to help. sorry I didn't use emmc.

thanks,
jim
Hi-

This is closed now. You can get the OS image at pinephone wiki .
The place where i got the image that caused problems was no good.

thankss
Also, you cannot "flash the SPI" of an original PinePhone. It does not have that hardware.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  debugging issue realted to iso image wth extra data eror penguins_rule 3 280 04-23-2024, 03:15 AM
Last Post: tapirsurfeit
  link for supported pinephone os manjharo et all penguins_rule 2 240 03-19-2024, 10:36 AM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  new PinePhone upgrade issue WhiteHexagon 5 1,809 05-09-2023, 04:09 PM
Last Post: WhiteHexagon
  Internal Microphone issue during calls Viktor 6 2,562 03-31-2023, 08:58 AM
Last Post: Viktor
  Can't add micro SD card to Pinephone thorensjubilee 7 2,533 02-27-2023, 10:21 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
  Pinephone Freeze kmsgli 14 7,491 02-04-2023, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Westslope
  Firefox issue with latest update Barugon 6 2,420 01-28-2023, 01:29 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  New issue with phone calls kmsgli 13 6,710 08-15-2022, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Gon
  Pinephone craches after each call neithan76 2 1,622 07-29-2022, 11:47 AM
Last Post: Chief
  manjaro-pinephone / plasma-mobile-dev: Update broken Uturn 32 29,470 07-28-2022, 12:40 PM
Last Post: johaennessen