Internal Microphone issue during calls
Apologies in advance if a tread is already covering my issue, I couldn't find my specific problem.

During calls (send or receive), the other end can't hear me. If I speak loudly into the microphone I can be heard, but very low.

-Pinephone Pro Explorer Edition
-This wasn't a problem during the first week I had the phone.
-I am in Canada
-I tried 4 carriers (Shaw, Koodo, Virgin and settled on Freedom when I found it was officially tested)
-Tried Manjaro, Postmaker, Kali, Mobian, Artch and same issue on all of them
-During the first week, I was pulling out the battery while the phone was running (did I damage it?)
-In the Sound options, configuring both input and output to "Make Phone Call" reverts it to original settings (Default, Play HiFi quality Music)
-When I bring up the volume during a call, "Internal Earpiece" is briefly displayed at the top with the volume
-I got this to work a few days ago on Mobian with a thread I found on installing Pipewire

I am on Manjaro Phosh beta28

Does anyone have any ideas?
After several distributions and carriers I have concluded I damaged my phone. I tried so many things.

I will have to order a new one. I have to mention the obvious, don't take the battery out when the phone is powered.
I replaced my PinePhone Pro USB C Sideboard and the mic is still very low. I looked for obstructions and there are none. My mic works fine on Postmarket OS.

Does someone know how I could increase my microphones volume past 100% on Mobian?
(03-30-2023, 10:58 AM)Viktor Wrote: I replaced my PinePhone Pro USB C Sideboard and the mic is still very low. I looked for obstructions and there are none. My mic works fine on Postmarket OS.

Does someone know how I could increase my microphones volume past 100% on Mobian?

So the mic doesn't work properly on basically any OS, except PostmarketOS?
If so, that sounds like they have a patch that fixes things, which other OSes could benefit from.

If you want to get things fixed in Mobian, then you should bring it to the attention of the Mobian devs.
Posting this in the Manjaro sub-forums is likely not useful, but I doubt posting it in the Mobian sub-forum is going to help much (either) as I don't think the devs monitor that.
(03-30-2023, 11:21 AM)diederik Wrote:
(03-30-2023, 10:58 AM)Viktor Wrote: I replaced my PinePhone Pro USB C Sideboard and the mic is still very low. I looked for obstructions and there are none. My mic works fine on Postmarket OS.

So the mic doesn't work properly on basically any OS, except PostmarketOS?
If so, that sounds like they have a patch that fixes things, which other OSes could benefit from.

If you want to get things fixed in Mobian, then you should bring it to the attention of the Mobian devs.
Posting this in the Manjaro sub-forums is likely not useful, but I doubt posting it in the Mobian sub-forum is going to help much (either) as I don't think the devs monitor that.

Code:
The workaround with the command below works.

sudo alsamixe

Fix is actually quite easy.
postmarketOS is only os where mic level is setup correctly - all others are using way too low setup.
See instructions here
https://gitlab.com/pine64-org/pine64-als...-/issues/5

Unfortunately there is another issue and I have not found fix for this (and this happens with every distro)
Long story short: if you receive call while suspended your mic becomes really silent
https://gitlab.com/postmarketOS/pmaports/-/issues/2016
(03-30-2023, 01:49 PM)alaraajavamma Wrote:

Fix is actually quite easy.
postmarketOS is only os where mic level is setup correctly - all others are using way too low setup.
See instructions here
https://gitlab.com/pine64-org/pine64-als...-/issues/5

Unfortunately there is another issue and I have not found fix for this (and this happens with every distro)
Long story short: if you receive call while suspended your mic becomes really silent
https://gitlab.com/postmarketOS/pmaports/-/issues/2016

This is really awesome thank you, I finally have this working. A alternative to all this closed source software brings warm feelings to my heart.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  systemic issue pinephone penguins_rule 3 372 04-02-2024, 11:52 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  debugging issue realted to iso image wth extra data eror penguins_rule 2 230 03-31-2024, 08:59 PM
Last Post: zed_pm
  Calls/Texts and External Monitor gregb49 0 682 06-30-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  new PinePhone upgrade issue WhiteHexagon 5 1,760 05-09-2023, 04:09 PM
Last Post: WhiteHexagon
  Firefox issue with latest update Barugon 6 2,351 01-28-2023, 01:29 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  New issue with phone calls kmsgli 13 6,568 08-15-2022, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Gon
  Call waiting issue kmsgli 22 14,587 06-24-2022, 06:02 PM
Last Post: kmsgli
  Can't call or receive calls PJK2012 3 2,852 04-26-2022, 03:05 PM
Last Post: PJK2012
  Calls & SMS stopped working Schugy 3 2,361 12-28-2021, 05:00 AM
Last Post: Schugy
  No incoming SMS. Outgoing SMS, calls and data working. HardwarePunk 3 3,025 11-20-2021, 12:53 AM
Last Post: HardwarePunk