Help with Kali Linux wifi not working but works with Manjaro
Hello,

I usually use PBP with Manjaro and everything works great.  I recently flashed Kali on SD card but for some reason it's not connecting to wifi.  I'm still very new to Linux.  I tried searching online for the answer but can't seem to find it.
I ran airmon-ng command and this is what I got:

phy0      wlan0     brcmfmac        unable to detect for sdio 0x02d0:0xa9bf

Does anyone know what's wrong and how I can connect my wifi?
(05-27-2022, 10:24 PM)PineSupporter Wrote: Hello,

I usually use PBP with Manjaro and everything works great.  I recently flashed Kali on SD card but for some reason it's not connecting to wifi.  I'm still very new to Linux.  I tried searching online for the answer but can't seem to find it.

I had the same problem so I copied the same Kali file to the same SSD and then the network worked.
Here's the cmd I used:
xzcat kali-linux-2022.2-pinebook-pro-arm64.img.xz | sudo dd of=/dev/mmcblk1 bs=4M status=progress

If this doesn't work you can try to start networking manually with the following cmds:
# /etc/init.d/networking start
# /usr/sbin/NetworkManager
# nmcli device wifi list     /* if you get a  list then your networking is up
                                                 and you can connect to your wifi router using
                                                  the network icon on the upper right of your screen*/

# nmcli device wifi connect "$SSID" password "$PASSWORD"   /* if you don't see you router with list cmd, try this
                                                                                                                     $SSID is your router name. the double
                                                                                                                     quotes are necessary */
Anyway, by now you have probably solved your problem since this post was a month old.
(05-27-2022, 10:24 PM)PineSupporter Wrote: Hello,

I had a similar issue (I am not sure it is the same issue but who knows, it could help some people).
In my case, as I understand it (I may be wrong), the issue seemed to be caused by a different wireless card in the new pinebook-pro of 2022 compared to the previous one (I don't know about your version of the pinebook since you posted in May).
In my case, I could see the origin of the issue by typing in a terminal:
Code:
sudo dmesg | grep brcm
I saw some lines that contained words like "firmware:" and "failed to load". At some point (as I understand it), the driver for the Broadcom wireless card will ask udev for a firmware, in order to flash it in the Broadcom chip. It fails because the requested firmware is not present.
By the way the "dmesg" command seems really useful for beeing aware of failures that can happen when the kernel is booting. And it is not specific to Debian, so the command should be available on any linux distribution I guess.

The issue has been reported here and a fix was created.
I am not sure if the fix is already included in the kali release image from here or not yet.

Since I had already installed kali, I prefered fixing it without reinstalling it. Here is what I did.
I downloaded the missing files from gitlab:
https://gitlab.com/kalilinux/build-scrip...5-sdio.bin
https://gitlab.com/kalilinux/build-scrip...o.clm_blob
https://gitlab.com/kalilinux/build-scrip...ok-pro.txt
And I copied them into the filesystem of my kali installation inside the folder: "/lib/firmware/brcm"

Then, after a shutdown and a restart, I could connect to wifi networks.

I hope it will help some of you.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Manjaro Sway Theme Broken Eighty8 1 166 03-08-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Attempting to install Void Linux, boots into a black screen 9a3eedi 0 204 02-18-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: 9a3eedi
Question Manjaro with Full Disk Encryption and GRUB dumetrulo 1 1,605 02-02-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: frankkinney
  Manjaro network problem late 2023 acruhl 1 213 01-19-2024, 11:32 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 1,912 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 1,979 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Manjaro 20.04 not loading from SD (with Manjaro on eMMC) zaius 1 291 12-07-2023, 03:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Manjaro ARM: enabling external monitors & fixing Broadcom WiFi after updating trifleneurotic 2 746 11-14-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: trifleneurotic
  USB 3 port not working with Armbian zaius 3 722 11-13-2023, 01:54 PM
Last Post: zaius
  Manjaro [ARM Stable Update] 2021-07-23 issues Bocanila 1 1,913 08-21-2023, 09:10 PM
Last Post: vanessadonald