Real/Usable USB-C battery pods for Pinecil? (9-12v mode minimum)
A few months ago I got a generic China USB-C, USB A, Qi inductive wireless, and Apple charger port USB-C compatible shell and circuit for 6x 18650 cells.
Unfortunately it does not do a very good job holding a charge, the Sanyo cells I bought separately were rated to be very good, yet it is often dead a week after being charged to 100%.
Recommend to us good pinecil compatible USB-C chargers to keep in a tech toolbox for situations where we need to solder in the field away from 110/220v mains/generator electrical power.
Maybe it is better to ask if anyone is using a USB-C battery bank of any kind with their pinecil?
I would like to see your reports both good and bad.
(12-20-2021, 11:53 AM)biketool Wrote: Maybe it is better to ask if anyone is using a USB-C battery bank of any kind with their pinecil?

Look at Baseus 65W power banks.
Pinecil works well at 20V using PD and basically they are good power banks.

For example, one of these.
(I have these models at home and tested them together with Pinecil.)
(12-22-2021, 06:16 PM)VaZso Wrote:
(12-20-2021, 11:53 AM)biketool Wrote: Maybe it is better to ask if anyone is using a USB-C battery bank of any kind with their pinecil?

Look at Baseus 65W power banks.
Pinecil works well at 20V using PD and basically they are good power banks.

For example, one of these.
(I have these models at home and tested them together with Pinecil.)

What are the USB-C power standards we should be looking for?
USB-C seems to have several standards and it seems like it will take some time for the market to standardize or change the names of proprietary tech.
(12-23-2021, 10:08 AM)biketool Wrote: What are the USB-C power standards we should be looking for?
USB-C seems to have several standards and it seems like it will take some time for the market to standardize or change the names of proprietary tech.

Pinecil supports USB-PD and it also supports QC.
QC is not really a standard protocol but PD is, so the better to look for a PD-capable power supply, but that also means a Type-C to Type-C USB connection.

Also, most power supplies may not support 20V over QC interface, but some of them do and also some of the PD-capable power supplies may not support 20V output.

So look for a 20V-capable power supply which has PD support or at least QC-capable.
(12-25-2021, 05:17 AM)VaZso Wrote:
(12-23-2021, 10:08 AM)biketool Wrote: What are the USB-C power standards we should be looking for?

Pinecil supports USB-PD and it also supports QC.
QC is not really a standard protocol but PD is, so the better to look for a PD-capable power supply, but that also means a Type-C to Type-C USB connection.

Also, most power supplies may not support 20V over QC interface, but some of them do and also some of the PD-capable power supplies may not support 20V output.

So look for a 20V-capable power supply which has PD support or at least QC-capable.

So I ordered another shell ready for my lithium cells as my first one failed(explained above) failed; it says it is an S6 and does does up to 12v-1.5a and the following: QC2, QC3, QC4, QC4+, PPS PD3, PD2, AFC, FCP, SCP, SFCP, PE2, PE1
It should power a pinecil direct from the USB-C but only powers it from the two old USB ports and only at 5v so no soldering only can access the UI on the Pinecil.
It even tries to charge from my Pinephone when plugged in to the USB-C, so I am suspecting I got another counterfeit....
The above arrived a few months ago, another swing and miss(baseball terminology)......
It makes a very nice battery pod and charges reasonably quickly form USB-C,
but it does not output to USB-C on any port despite being advertised and marked as working on the standards as listed above.
I tried connecting both of my Pinecils on both USB-A ports and the single USB-C they power up but cant receive more than 5v and only form the two USB-A ports the USB-C is power in, the Pinecils both work great from my Pinepower portables.
I would really like a known tested working solution so I can emergency solder in the field using only a portable battery.

Aside from a battery bank though a good 12v automotive power/cigarette lighter port solution would also be appreciated though a high capacity battery is more important.
OK, got another(4th) shell and waiting on cells.
Advertised as QC and PD but like I said
number:
1- worked with pinecil at first, failed/shutdown after first discharge for anything over 5v
2- fake no discharge through USB-C port, only 5v through legacy USB ports
3- same as 2 internally
4- waiting for cells

I would still like a good community recommendation as the new (4) board looks similar to the board for my first battery pod and I am worried about failure, I hope I will finally have something I can solder with in the field.
#4 is ALSO not a reql QC mode charger

I have ordered a few boards with IP5328 controller chips onboard; I guess I will 3D print or retrofit one of the boxes because apparently we cant have real bring-your-own cells USB-C out QC PD power above 5v.
Every battery bank so far except the first(which failed) is only USB-C QC in and regular USB ports out.
I would love to find a controller board which supported the higher voltages available as it gives me more options for whatever I am doing.
I guess discovering a bring-your-own-18650-cells and buy a ready to receive shell and circuits has failed; but I will still be watching for anyone recommending a better controller board that supports high voltage/watts in AND out..
Is there a controller preferred over the IP5328?
datasheet:
http://www.injoinic.com/wwwroot/uploads/...a21efb.pdf
I would like to get those higher voltages for various uses using a USB-C trigger board but this is the best of what I am finding in battery banks and battery bank boards....

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Connecting a power supply to the Pinecil jon_bondy 1 187 02-29-2024, 07:37 PM
Last Post: Okedokey
  Crippling noise from inside pinecil during a few minutes high power soldering. dreieck 2 649 01-31-2024, 12:34 AM
Last Post: suga7
Question Pinecil Tempaerature Reading jumps to Y400°C when active but stays normal when cold H3wastooshort 0 299 12-24-2023, 05:45 PM
Last Post: H3wastooshort
  Asus laptop power supply can also power Pinecil biketool 9 7,883 11-17-2023, 12:57 PM
Last Post: killingmesmalls
  Mass problem Pinecil V2 Harrysteed 0 558 11-02-2023, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Harrysteed
Question Pinecil v2 power cycles at higher voltages? clemon79 2 1,174 10-09-2023, 10:10 PM
Last Post: clemon79
  PD resets during heat up tip [Pinecil V2] Neitron4ik 2 1,435 10-09-2023, 01:22 AM
Last Post: Neitron4ik
  [Hackaday Article] All About USB-C: Pinecil Soldering Iron vajak 1 1,334 02-02-2023, 11:45 AM
Last Post: VaZso
  Brand new Pinecil v2 won't boot on PD jhutch 1 2,113 12-14-2022, 01:03 AM
Last Post: River
  Survey on Pinecil Tips, Please fill out River 0 1,196 11-06-2022, 02:43 AM
Last Post: River