any way to turn off authentication on pinephone?
I'm using it purely as a phone and reader, and there's nothing on the pinephone of any interest to anyone. The authentication step is a bother but would be okay if it only happened on reboot. But it's every single time after the screen blanks, which is a *giant* bother. (More so for me than some people because I have very dry skin, and everything on a touchscreen takes multiple tries for me.)

Oh, I do have the screen set to never blank while I'm using it, but I doubt that's a good idea when it's knocking around in my pocket.

Is there any way to bypass authentication entirely? I'm happy to edit files in /etc or wherever, but will need step-by-step instructions. Bad things happen when I try to improvise as root Dodgy .
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS: Mobian Bookworm, Phosh. Pinephone Braveheart from 2020-02-11
Not yet AFAIK. There's an outstanding phosh bug/feature request asking for an option to disable password authentication on the lock screen, but nobody has implemented it yet. I think that would still need a touchscreen action like a swipe, but a lot less involved than a full unlock.
as a partial solution, why change password to one digit, like "9". obvious disadvantage, do not use ssh or change ssh to allow different user.

get the user name.
Code:
$ whoami

get the root console, system does not allow ordinary users to change bad and easy passwords.
Code:
$ sudo su -l

change user password, (do not change root user's password).
Code:
# passwd >username<
# passwd manjaro

in one command
Code:
$ sudo passwd >username<
I stand on :
loginctl show-seat $(loginctl list-seats --no-pager --no-legend) -p ActiveSession --value|xargs -iX loginctl unlock-session X
or faster :
loginctl unlock-sessions
when connected in ssh.
From what i understood, systemd-logind take the hand when the power on button is pressed, then it communicates directly with PAM. I found no way to add a second handler on the press button or redirect the existing one.
udevadm trigger -v -n -g power-switch
returns
/sys/devices/platform/gpio-keys/input/input0/event0
Then
udevadm info /sys/devices/platform/gpio-keys/input/input0/event0
seems to correspond to the power button (but not sure - if somebody could confirm)
So we have the command to run and (perhaps) the button, and now ?
Thanks for the ideas!

The one to change pwd to one digit could well be a workaround. I didn't realize there was enough interest for a bug/feature request to be filed. I'll have to go look that up.

I'll have to study yours, Frexit. Not sure I understand it yet Big Grin
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS: Mobian Bookworm, Phosh. Pinephone Braveheart from 2020-02-11
I followed the
Code:
cat /sys/devices/platform/gpio-keys/input/input0/event0/uevent

then
Code:
fuser /dev/input/event0

and it is seems finally that systemd doesn't handle the power button at all because of the file :

Code:
/etc/systemd/logind.conf.d/ignore-power-key.conf
[Login]
HandlePowerKey=ignore

According to "udevadm monitor", the power button is not handled by udev too.
The previous fuser shows 3 processes : init, systemd-logind and phoc/phosh/gnome-session.
So it seems that the power button is definitely handled by the last one :
Code:
/usr/bin/phoc -C /usr/share/phosh/phoc.ini -E bash -lc 'gnome-session --disable-acceleration-check --session=phosh --builtin'
So seems like we will have to wait that phosh team implements the option...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,515 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  unofficial kali linux for pinephone help needed pinesmell 5 3,452 01-08-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: ERPlegend
  Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian arno_nuehm 219 160,389 03-26-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: shulamy
  PinePhone won't boot after software update jb2000 2 1,250 03-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
Wink Pinephone lost graphic during mobian system upgrade cmpin 4 2,060 03-01-2023, 04:45 PM
  Battery problem with a Pinephone keyboard and Mobian elode 2 2,103 12-22-2022, 07:10 PM
Last Post: acid andy
  Sending Pinephone SMS from Desktop biketool 5 2,753 09-13-2022, 01:46 PM
  How to get Pinetime working with Pinephone arkadione 12 6,947 08-28-2022, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Fish
  PP Keyboard doesn't charge Pinephone (Mobian) jojuma 1 1,158 08-06-2022, 01:10 AM
Last Post: elode
  cryptocurrency on mobian/pinephone biketool 31 20,982 06-15-2022, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Hobbes42