Network shared folder discovery (smb4k)
Hi,

I recently reconfigured my home network and setup a few shared folders (music, movies, pictures...).
Except for my PBPro, all my other PCs are running Linux Mint and access to those shared folders is working flawlessly.

On the PBPro (stock Manjaro) on the other hand, zilch.
Can't find the folders in Dolphin and smb4k will not start at all.

Do any of you have a workaround or a solution to my Samba issues?

Cheers,
Solostian
NFS.  Cool
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
(09-14-2021, 09:31 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: NFS. ?

I don't understand your question.
If it can help, I've installed Warpinator and it is unable to "see" the other computers on the network.
(09-14-2021, 08:33 AM)solostian Wrote: Hi,

I recently reconfigured my home network and setup a few shared folders (music, movies, pictures...).
Except for my PBPro, all my other PCs are running Linux Mint and access to those shared folders is working flawlessly.

On the PBPro (stock Manjaro) on the other hand, zilch.
Can't find the folders in Dolphin and smb4k will not start at all.

Do any of you have a workaround or a solution to my Samba issues?

Cheers,
Solostian

I don't have the solution, but Manjaro ARM doesn't come with all the needed stuff for samba.
I found this thread and did everything except user and password, as my samba share is public, but nothing seems to work.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ManjaroLinux/co...a_network/

Do note the link to the Manjaro Wiki for your file browser plugin.

smb4k does start for me, but it doesn't find anything and the add dialogue only enables the cancel button.

Who knows if it does work for you.

When you need the IP address of your SMB server, you can try to find it with the following command.
nmblookup <wins-hostname>

As found here.
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions...-host-name
(09-14-2021, 04:10 PM)jiyong Wrote: I don't have the solution, but Manjaro ARM doesn't come with all the needed stuff for samba.
I found this thread and did everything except user and password, as my samba share is public, but nothing seems to work.

smb4k does start for me, but it doesn't find anything and the add dialogue only enables the cancel button.

When you need the IP address of your SMB server, you can try to find it with the following command.

As found here.

I will give this a try.
Can any one suggest a method other than samba to share folders between Linux computers on the same network?
(09-23-2021, 02:49 PM)solostian Wrote:
(09-14-2021, 04:10 PM)jiyong Wrote: I don't have the solution, but Manjaro ARM doesn't come with all the needed stuff for samba.

As found here.

I will give this a try.
Can any one suggest a method other than samba to share folders between Linux computers on the same network?

As already mentioned: NFS.  Network File System is the offspring of the original UNIX way of sharing storage over network.  SAMBA is the offspring of the original Microsoft way.
Ancient teacher (Secondary Field Science/Math), Warrior (USARNG- RET SSG), and IT warrior (30+ years Coder, Network/Systems Administrator, general house geek). 
Pinebook Pro user (Debian, Manjaro)
(09-24-2021, 07:54 AM)wpeckham Wrote: As already mentioned: NFS.  Network File System is the offspring of the original UNIX way of sharing storage over network.  SAMBA is the offspring of the original Microsoft way.

I will give this a try too.

Thanks!
Update time...

I have kept trying to make Samba work for a few weeks more.
I tried different combinations but the bug remains.

Two weeks ago, I have started to set up for NFS.
I had to make a few time consuming changes to my external USB drives.
They are connected to a HTPC desktop running Linux Mint which I use as a home server.

I am now at the last leg of the server-side setup : fstab.
The documentation is not clear on the entries I should be putting in there.
Device and Mountpoint are ready. But it seems that my Ext4 USB drives should be defined as "NFS".

Can anyone help me with that part?
One of the drives should be read/write and the other read_only.

Cheers,
Solostian
The server doesn't mount anything as NFS. The server exports local filesystems as NFS exports.

Mount your devices the same way you normally would.

You need to determine if you want the read only devices mounted read only locally. If so, mount them read only in /etc/fstab. Else, if you only want the export to be read only, put -ro after the mount point in /etc/exports.

Do read the manuals, they tend to be very good, which is why information on the web is so scant. `man exports` `man fstab`

Whenever you edit /etc/exports you will have to restart mountd. I can't recommend how to do that in Mint.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
Hi,

I found a few YouTube videos from which I deduced what you just explained.
I took a day off, tomorrow.
I'll give it another whirl then.

Cheers,
Solostian

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Manjaro network problem late 2023 acruhl 1 320 01-19-2024, 11:32 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  More heavy network traffic leads to network break-down ericzolf 3 816 09-30-2023, 08:06 AM
Last Post: ericzolf
  Network stacks no longer works on PBP - all distros IT-That-uses-Linux 0 1,343 08-03-2021, 01:15 PM
Last Post: IT-That-uses-Linux
  Network settings, where to find the config files? hvdkooij 1 2,849 11-20-2020, 02:47 PM
Last Post: xyzzy
  pinebook pro manjaro xfce pacman network error thumbsup 1 3,010 07-11-2020, 02:32 PM
Last Post: thumbsup
  Crash in brcmfmac joining WPA2 network rillian 7 9,464 02-03-2020, 12:36 AM
Last Post: vrabac
  Renaming home folder inkslinger 22 23,931 01-22-2020, 03:45 PM
Last Post: Arwen
  Network Manager on Deb Atton 5 5,514 12-10-2019, 04:10 AM
Last Post: Atton