printing -- Manjaro ARM KDE plasma
Hi y'all.
Has anyone managed to set up a printer with KDE plasma?
I have a standard Brother duplex that works fine with an X86 Ubuntu laptop. I've tried all the fixes mentioned here and there in the forum and can't get further than "receiving data" on the printer's led. It seems we are nearing the end of the CUPS era, but it still functions for Arch & Manjaro (not ARM) users. Where is the "cups-daemon, cups-browsed," etc.? 
There must be a simple way to print to a standard printer from Manjaro ARM KDE.
Any clues would be appreciated. I'm loving the PBP so far, especially the Falkon browser. I dumped Firefox (too bloated for my needs) but kept Chromium as a back up.
Thanks
Just a thought, have you done a search for Gutenprint? It may be another option.
search forum for "airprint" or "driverless"
Did you try searching for CUPS packages with Pamac?
Launcher > System > Add/Remove Software
(06-28-2021, 11:30 AM)jiyong Wrote: Did you try searching for CUPS packages with Pamac?
Thank you for the suggestion. Pamac lists cups package successfully installed, nothing missing.
Several forum members have pointed me toward Airprint as an all purpose generic driver. I can't find where to employ it. CUPS wants a ppd file. I have downloaded two ppd files from openprinting.org (thanks to a suggestion) that are supposed to work with Brother HL-L2340DW, but the print job hangs up with "filter failed" message.
The Bonjour (modern) method of connecting requires a printer URI which I can get with the lprint command. But, that command has a dsnsd parameter which I don't seem to have.
My printer has wifi capability, but I have been trying to connect through USB. It should work either way. The printer connection instructions in Debian and Arch forums are clear and simple. Is puzzle.
Likely the "filter driver" (referenced in ppd) is an intel executable
So, not so likely that usb will work without special configuration (ipp over usb)
There are a few filter drivers (open source) that are arm, very few
airprint and driverless are in the printer rom
https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting,, there is another page too (at debian wiki)
BTW, airprint or driverless has NO model/maker,, ie DON'T search for epson or hp or canon--model
localhost:631/ ,,, (in browser)
(06-28-2021, 12:38 PM)straightwalker Wrote:
(06-28-2021, 11:30 AM)jiyong Wrote: Did you try searching for CUPS packages with Pamac?
Thank you for the suggestion. Pamac lists cups package successfully installed, nothing missing.
Several forum members have pointed me toward Airprint as an all purpose generic driver. I can't find where to employ it. CUPS wants a ppd file. I have downloaded two ppd files from openprinting.org (thanks to a suggestion) that are supposed to work with Brother HL-L2340DW, but the print job hangs up with "filter failed" message.
The Bonjour (modern) method of connecting requires a printer URI which I can get with the lprint command. But, that command has a dsnsd parameter which I don't seem to have.
My printer has wifi capability, but I have been trying to connect through USB. It should work either way. The printer connection instructions in Debian and Arch forums are clear and simple. Is puzzle.
I have a similar printer.  It seems to work better via wireless with just the "Generic" printer type, and either ipp or lp as the connection type.  Then it's just the ip address for the URI (at least for me).  Printing works fine on mine once you get it set up.
(06-28-2021, 12:38 PM)straightwalker Wrote:
i recently installed brlaser or brlaser-git using yay for my HL-L2330, connected via SUB. The driver installed was 2300 or something equivalent to 2330.
If this is like the Brother printer which I have that matches your description, it works better than it's ever worked, with the CUPS IPP Everywhere driver.

I didn't even know that driver existed until recently when my marginal printing with the HP Laserjet 5 driver for some reason quit working.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Manjaro versions bad and good gilwood 0 165 02-12-2024, 05:03 PM
Last Post: gilwood
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,943 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  PBP won't boot after trying to reinstall Manjaro ARM soupgirl 3 540 12-13-2023, 08:17 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Games compilation howto on the Pinebook-pro (Manjaro Linux and Debian native) astr0baby 201 312,393 05-12-2023, 06:09 AM
Last Post: korreckj328
  Manjaro Plasma blinking cursor jcun4128 4 1,353 05-08-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: korreckj328
  PBP blank screen after updating Manjaro Franko 6 1,834 04-01-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: hacknix
  Manjaro - which libdrm? hacknix 0 522 04-01-2023, 03:21 AM
Last Post: hacknix
  Partial boot after installing Manjaro on emmc regivanx 11 2,906 02-06-2023, 09:11 AM
  Manjaro pinebookpro images with kernel 5.7.19 rfm83 11 4,462 01-22-2023, 10:05 PM
Last Post: rfm83
  No boot after Manjaro flash PBcurry 14 5,098 10-03-2022, 08:33 PM