Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver?
@topic: I used my Pinephone with Mobian for over 1 year (I think) as my daily driver and was most of the time really happy with it, it was definitely not perfect (low performance, sub-optimal battery life, bulky, have to use usb stick to transfer files, a crash once every few weeks or months, a strangely dis- and reconnecting modem since a few months, I have to start pulseaudio manually after boot since a few months, ...)... BUT it was usable and still absolutely ok for me for staying away from Google/Apple!

Since a few days I think about ditching my two PinePhones for the first time Sad and get something completely different*, for a current combination of three main reasons:

1. Since about 2-3 weeks my main phone crashes (sometimes) OR completely freezes (very often) OR the touch screen "gets stuck" (less often) multiple times a day (at least twice, sometimes more) and needs a hard reboot. It happens while phone is in use at least twice a day - but happens also nearly every night while it's on the charger, in the morning the phone is "on" but you don't get to see more as the screen backlight. Perhaps it's this "flipping frames bug" I've read about here on the forum, but then I don't understand WHY it happens now multiple times a day and last year only once a few weeks or even months (I don't use my phone more or different now!). Therefore I think it has more to do with an Mobian update OR (more likely) the hardware is just dying... Huh

2. I wanted to switch to my back-up-PinePhone as my new daily driver to check if it is more stable (nearly unused, newer revision) and updated it, but it still has this problem https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=15076 which I was never able to solve. And you HAVE to reboot your PinePhone sometimes, and it should take 1-2 minutes maximum then and not 10 minutes if you need your phone right now... Sad 

3. Axolotl (Signal) (which of course already had some bugs before) is nearly unusable for me since a few days ( https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...47&page=21 ), but these days I really need it. I'm afraid I will have to use a device which can run official Signal client or an other Axolotl build wich is technically different to the Mobian one (UBports AFAIK?).

*Not easy to find a replacement for a PinePhone user: A Volla Phone with UBports? No Mobile-OS without Full-Disk-Encryption for me, that's a No-Go! A PinePhone Pro? Not really usable at the moment AFAIK! A expensive Librem 5? That would be only remaining option I know of (beside a de-googled-Android-Thingy of course... Confused ) and would hopefully at least successful boot and don't crash (that often), but official Signal Client also won't work there. Don't know what I should do/get...

It's sad, I love it to have a real Linux on my smartphone and I had a good time with my (main) PinePhone after switching to Mobian (except some upgrade, dependency and audio problems Mobian had a few months ago, but they were all fixable)... but I don't really want to by a THIRD PinePhone (non-pro) in less than 2 years and just HOPE it doesn't have fundamental problems like "not booting 9/10 times" or "freezes 2-4 times a day"... Sad

EDIT: Let's withdraw the mentioned "expensive Librem 5" as alternative, the "cheaper" not-built-in-USA-version is currently 1299$ (also not in stock/long delay) - To much for a smartphone for me (I really thought it costs 600-750€ until now, that would have been painful but perhaps an option, but not > 1000€)...
Using encrypted Mobian (bookworm) on pmOS CE Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) as Daily Driver, and Beta Edition Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) with encrypted Mobian (bookworm) as Backup device.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? - by dante404 - 01-27-2023, 03:21 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 7 599 04-25-2024, 05:56 AM
Last Post: aular
  pinephone virtual keyboard aular 4 363 04-10-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: aular
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 243 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,838 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 615 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 2,380 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 505 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,714 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,989 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 5,008 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy