Is a Software update the same as instaling an updated image
Hi,  I am sure that this is something odd to ask about but I am curious if updating the software in the updates is the same as installing a newer image.

I have been updating the software when it needs to but I did download and test the multiboot loader.  It had a newer image and it was different.

My current device is pmos that came with the phone that I have updated every time a update is in the store.  On the multiboot version the cheese app had a shortcut and the settings menu was different.

I am interested in why my software that is updated is different than a new image thatt was released.  Do I have to change a file that has the desktop shortcuts and a file to change how the settings menu gets displayed?
I also want to know if I am recieving the same type of updates the newer images are or if I will have to reflash the emmc to get the most recent updates.

Thanks
Quote:My current device is pmos that came with the phone that I have updated every time a update is in the store.  On the multiboot version the cheese app had a shortcut and the settings menu was different.

Cheese was on mine when it arrived, during an update (command line, not just the stuff the store shows, it is erratic) it vanished from the launcher.  It is still installed though, it can be run from the terminal.  Probably removed from view because it doesn't work yet.  Get megapixels, it might crash the phone but when it isn't doing that it shows both front and rear camera images.  Config menu and the camera trigger button still need to be done but the camera problem is not going to be around a lot longer.  I'm hoping the GNOME plumbing eventually sees the cameras though, GNOME Authenticator would be really useful.

If you update you have the same thing as a full image, the images are created from the same repositories.  One big exception is the boot loader.  The CE edition as shipped doesn't appear to have had Crust available when the image was finalized for production.

Just installing that package doesn't appear to do anything.  Running the script to update the embedded copy of uBoot doesn't do it either.  Reading lots of docs trying to figure that one out.  Apparently the desired end result is a "uBoot" image that has the SPL, ATF, Crust and uBoot merged together with the right wrapper so the boot ROM will drop it all into memory and it will all end up in the right places.  If there is a script that automates it all I haven't found it yet.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Software app in postmarket gnome shell Uturn 1 514 09-06-2023, 05:27 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  pmos/phosh edge update and audio disappears robthebold 9 5,201 07-10-2022, 03:26 AM
Last Post: arkadione
  Cannot update chadwick 2 2,912 11-16-2021, 04:12 AM
Last Post: chadwick
  How to install software AndyM 8 7,217 11-14-2021, 01:08 AM
Last Post: AndyM
  No sound on edge posh since an update 2 days ago ? winktheman 2 3,211 05-27-2021, 12:49 PM
Last Post: winktheman
  Where is the original PM OS image for Pinephone? mw4jet 1 2,537 03-14-2021, 07:37 AM
Last Post: ludix
  Cannot update 20210305-0032 mw4jet 2 3,401 03-05-2021, 06:56 PM
Last Post: mw4jet
  PMOS test image: failed EG25 test broke modem fw MtnSk8 4 5,479 02-28-2021, 02:20 PM
Last Post: MtnSk8
  Software Repos biketool 5 7,048 10-31-2020, 04:20 PM
Last Post: kuleszdl
  PMOS Software : Comments bcnaz 3 4,183 09-15-2020, 07:31 AM
Last Post: Hobbes42