Software Repos
I am a Linux user with my new Pinephone, want to finally move from a N900 to the Pine for everyday.
I have not had time in the weeks since my pine arrived to do much of anything.
I am assuming that postmarket will have the most developed and filled repos.
Is this like Maemo where we have testing unstable etc repos?
My meager searching has not turned up the deb lines for the /etc/apt/sources or whatever we will be using.
Sorry for noobing but have not had time to investigate and the wiki is sparse on this topic.
(09-27-2020, 03:53 AM)biketool Wrote: I am a Linux user with my new Pinephone, want to finally move from a N900 to the Pine for everyday.
I have not had time in the weeks since my pine arrived to do much of anything.
I am assuming that postmarket will have the most developed and filled repos.
My meager searching has not turned up the deb lines for the /etc/apt/sources or whatever we will be using.
Sorry for noobing but have not had time to investigate and the wiki is sparse on this topic.

Hi,

I have received my pinephone pmos edition last week. Here is what I have been able to figure out:

pmos is based on alpine linux. The GUI package/update manager currently only handles updates (and it does it quite nicely). However there are no other apps available for install currently from the GUI.

It is possible to install apps through ssh + the cli alpine manager, though:

# To find out exactly what is installed on the phone:
apk info -v | sort

# To find out the software repos configured on the phone:
# NB: if you go the URLs in the repo with a navigator to find out what
# is availabe there, look into the aarch64 directories
cat  /etc/apk/repositories

# Search for packages from a naming pattern
apk search <pattern>

# Install a package
apk add <pkg>

# Remove a package
apk del <pkg>

Most of the apps which you can install were not designed for mobile phone, so they tend to not work perfectly or have ergonomy issues. Here are some of the apps I have found most useful / usable:

# camera app
megapixels
# file browser, display options not well tuned for large file lists on mobile tough
nautilus
# video / music player. Engine works great, but UI not adapted for phone
# use natilus to open the files, and use keyboard shortcuts to manage stuff
# like pause/play/volume, see https://mpv.io/manual/master/
mpv

Regards

Lukas
Once the lost unlock pin issue is solved I will give this a try!
I assume the root pw is the pin.
I used my laptop to scroll through the alpine repos, is there a desktop map program like gpsdrive or another OSM based routing program people have found to work, even just for testing?
(10-23-2020, 03:53 AM)biketool Wrote: I used my laptop to scroll through the alpine repos, is there a desktop map program like gpsdrive or another OSM based routing program people have found to work, even just for testing?
OSM scout server with puremaps (from flatpak) seem to work fine, but it eats up a lot of ram (1.5GB?) and power and is probably not good if you go cycling or hiking. 
https://www.flathub.org/apps/details/io....s.PureMaps
https://www.flathub.org/apps/details/io....coutServer

See also https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Pure_Maps .

Some notes:
There is also a "pure-maps" in apk but I have not tried it, but if it is the same as in flatpak, it is probably smarter not to have the flatpak layer in between. 
In the sxmo gui the proper way to quit pure-maps is ctrl+Q, otherwise some of the settings are not saved, on other guis this is probably not an issue. 
I prefer to use it in landscape mode but as far as I remember phosh had/has some issues with landscape mode. 
(09-27-2020, 03:53 AM)biketool Wrote: I am assuming that postmarket will have the most developed and filled repos.

In principle yes, but there are some differences. In Alpine, there are these branches:

- stable (for each version such as 3.12, 3.11, 3.10 and so on)
- edge (the latest stuff)

In addition, each branch also has these repositories which reflect how official the packages are:

- main
- community
- testing

The nice thing is that you can mix them and only install certain packages e.g. from community by defining a prefix in /etc/apk/repositories. See the official documentation for details.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Software app in postmarket gnome shell Uturn 1 540 09-06-2023, 05:27 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  How to install software AndyM 8 7,254 11-14-2021, 01:08 AM
Last Post: AndyM
  Is a Software update the same as instaling an updated image Word5 1 2,861 09-19-2020, 10:23 PM
Last Post: jmorris
  PMOS Software : Comments bcnaz 3 4,200 09-15-2020, 07:31 AM
Last Post: Hobbes42