January image
New image has crust power management enabled - this can sometimes entail the device not waking up at all (if you let it charge to full it doesn't wake from sleep and needs a reboot). Battery performance appears much better....over 24 hrs with little use.
Calls still extremely problematic, camera still non-functional. SMS works, sometimes, a reboot gets it back.
Apart from that, everything else appears very smooth on the emmc, noticeably slower on sdcard.
Bluetooth appears to work. MTP and Sailfish Connect (KDE connect) work fine. Patchmanager still doesn't work.
This version has no first-run problems and doesn't seem to have the old security pin bug...it's probably still safer to turn it off after completing the initialization.
(01-02-2021, 06:43 AM)defactofactotum Wrote: New image has crust power management enabled - this can sometimes entail the device not waking up at all. Battery performance appears much better....over 24 hrs with little use.
Calls still extremely problematic, camera still non-functional. SMS works, sometimes, a reboot gets it back.
Apart from that, everything else appears very smooth on the emmc, noticeably slower on sdcard.
Bluetooth appears to work. MTP and Sailfish Connect (KDE connect) work fine. Patchmanager still doesn't work.
This version has no first-run problems and doesn't seem to have the old security pin bug...it's probably still safer to turn it off after completing the initialization.
Does this image have the issue of getting hung at the lock screen? Or is that what you meant by old security pin bug? Because that is super annoying. Sailfish is easily the OS I want most for the PinePhone so hopefully this all comes together sooner rather than later.
(01-04-2021, 10:03 AM)ragreenburg Wrote: Does this image have the issue of getting hung at the lock screen? Or is that what you meant by old security pin bug?
The bug was to do with the security pin and previously required 2 attempts before booting correctly, but then not displaying the lock screen. Now the initial install is smooth and the lock screen problem is gone. I didn't check without a simcard. So basically everything works, except the modem and camera.
(01-04-2021, 02:30 PM)defactofactotum Wrote:
(01-04-2021, 10:03 AM)ragreenburg Wrote: Does this image have the issue of getting hung at the lock screen? Or is that what you meant by old security pin bug?
The bug was to do with the security pin and previously required 2 attempts before booting correctly, but then not displaying the lock screen. Now the initial install is smooth and the lock screen problem is gone. I didn't check without a simcard. So basically everything works, except the modem and camera.
I just went and tried updating my version but shortly after remembered for some reason it won't charge my phone with Sailfish running so the phone just ran low on battery and I wasn't able to do anything. Really unfortunate because it charges just fine with UT, Mobian and Manjaro.
(01-05-2021, 04:06 PM)ragreenburg Wrote: I just went and tried updating my version but shortly after remembered for some reason it won't charge my phone with Sailfish running so the phone just ran low on battery and I wasn't able to do anything. Really unfortunate because it charges just fine with UT, Mobian and Manjaro.
There is definitely something wrong with power management, I get notifications "not enough power to charge" all the time - but it does charge ok and lasts over 24hrs but seems to close down with no warning notification at 10%.
(01-07-2021, 06:34 AM)defactofactotum Wrote:
(01-05-2021, 04:06 PM)ragreenburg Wrote: I just went and tried updating my version but shortly after remembered for some reason it won't charge my phone with Sailfish running so the phone just ran low on battery and I wasn't able to do anything. Really unfortunate because it charges just fine with UT, Mobian and Manjaro.
There is definitely something wrong with power management, I get notifications "not enough power to charge" all the time - but it does charge ok and lasts over 24hrs but seems to close down with no warning notification at 10%.
Definitely, huge bummer. I think when I first purchased the PinePhone I was overly ambitious of how quickly this would all be ready, especially UBPorts because I remember the early talk being that they were nearly there and now it's at the exact same spot it's been at since May. Luckily Mobian is doing quite well but it also uses Phosh which I don't like because it's basically an app drawer and that's it. So I am really hoping that Sailfish comes to because it's by far the best looking OS for the PinePhone.
I loaded the January image a few days ago, and it's a remarkable improvement over the last image I tried a couple months ago, even running from a micro SD card.  I'm excited by this progress.  Smile

Power management does seem much better - left off the charger overnight, more than 2/3 battery was remaining the next morning.  Charging topped out at 91% (which seems similar to expected behavior on other OSes).  After leaving the phone to charge the following night, it wouldn't wake from sleep and required a hard power cycle.

Wi-fi seems to disconnect every time the screen goes to sleep though, which I think is not good behavior. 

Some other issues I've encountered so far:  Volume control doesn't seem to work.  Playing music, as well as the Sailfish OS 3.0 video included in the image, is always at maximum volume regardless of the setting (including muted). 

The amount that the screen is dimmed in power saving mode seems to be a simple offset.  If the screen backlight is not at maximum brightness when power saving is enabled, the brightness level is reduced to zero, and in practice it is impossible to restore the screen to useable brightness without a power cycle.

E-mail account setup was easy, though the default app crashes when I try to open individual messages.  Nextcloud integration loaded my calendars without a problem, though there doesn't seem to be a way to retrieve files from the server. 

I have not yet tried a valid SIM card, so I can't comment on calls or messages.
Where do I find the new image? The last one I see is from 2 months ago.

Thank You
(01-08-2021, 03:53 PM)Csanderson0313 Wrote: Where do I find the new image? The last one I see is from 2 months ago.

Thank You

I built the image by following the instructions on the wiki:  https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_S...SailfishOS

I've uploaded the ~4GB image here; the link should be valid for the next 30 days. 

It looks like there was a kernel update the day after I created the image, but I haven't yet noticed any different behaviours so far.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RAW image output only 32MB and not working Kimberley van Buyten 3 1,848 05-30-2022, 08:00 AM
Last Post: acrux
  flash-it.sh script currently unable to create a SailfishOS image acrux 3 3,463 07-23-2021, 01:06 AM
Last Post: OhneZ
  February image, upgrade to SFOS4 defactofactotum 8 7,588 02-24-2021, 09:45 AM
Last Post: defactofactotum
  December image defactofactotum 3 4,930 12-16-2020, 05:35 AM
Last Post: defactofactotum
  Fresh image, SIM card working RodneyMyers 22 21,701 09-23-2020, 08:53 AM
Last Post: sfb