Is UT in PinePhone same thing than in another phone?
I discovered Linux phones by finding pinephone. However, I see that UT has been before than PinePhone. So, if UT is installed on another phone (e.g. Oneplus one)  is that already a Linux phone? Or does it still need some android software?

If so, what makes PP so special? or it isn't?

Is anyone kind enough to share some thoughts?

thanks!
Great Question,
I am certain there are at least a few different answers.
"One" would be running Linux on top of the Android, while Android actually handles the hardware end.
The best ongoing information can be found here: https://gitlab.com/ubports/community-ports/pinephone

As mentioned in the README, the Pinephone doesn't rely on the Android kernel/halium like every other UT device does. That's probably the most profound reason why the Pinephone is 'so special' compared to other devices running UT.
(08-18-2020, 05:25 PM)natasha Wrote: I discovered Linux phones by finding pinephone. However, I see that UT has been before than PinePhone. So, if UT is installed on another phone (e.g. Oneplus one)  is that already a Linux phone? Or does it still need some android software?

thanks!

Rob Braxman on YouTube goes into great detail describing both pure Linux phones and phones converted to Linux.
It would take many pages to describe them.
(08-19-2020, 04:46 AM)bcnaz Wrote:
(08-18-2020, 05:25 PM)natasha Wrote: I discovered Linux phones by finding pinephone. However, I see that UT has been before than PinePhone. So, if UT is installed on another phone (e.g. Oneplus one)  is that already a Linux phone? Or does it still need some android software?

thanks!

Rob Braxman on YouTube goes into great detail describing both pure Linux phones and phones converted to Linux.
I like how this guy explain things! He is nformative with a touch of mystery... 'the three-letter agency' ...
Hardware kill switches and compartmentalization pretty much make the pinephone the most private and secure device you can find. Anyone can hack a linux OS but the pinephone renders hacking nearly useless. The fact that even if a hacker, govt or bad actor got in through a firmware back door, theyd effectively be trapped in that one chip and be unable to get to other parts of the phone, also with the kill switches they could not get your camera, mic, location info or otherwise track, spy on, or identify you. All of that is still possible with another phone converted to linux. Physical hardware separation cannot be bypassed by software. Only pinephone and Librem 5 achieve this. But Librem isn't open source, so you have to take Purism's word for it & pay more.
(08-19-2020, 08:29 AM)Cree Wrote: Hardware kill switches and compartmentalization pretty much make the pinephone the most private and secure device you can find. Anyone can hack a linux OS but the pinephone renders hacking nearly useless. The fact that even if a hacker, govt or bad actor got in through a firmware back door, theyd effectively be trapped in that one chip and be unable to get to other parts of the phone, also with the kill switches they could not get your camera, mic, location info or otherwise track, spy on, or identify you. All of that is still possible with another phone converted to linux. Physical hardware separation cannot be bypassed by software. Only pinephone and Librem 5 achieve this. But Librem isn't open source, so you have to take Purism's word for it & pay more.
I don't know...

For me, the kill switches are useless as how they are assembled. First, you have to open the cover, which is ok. Second, you need a microscope to see which switch you need to turn off and a micro-mini-tiny-stick to actually turn it on/off.

It would be very useful if you could turn it on/off at anytime. They are off, you want to take a picture, turn it on. You want to connect the internet, turn wifi on. You are done? off. You cannot do this.

Is anyone using them? in what context?

(08-19-2020, 06:53 AM)daniel Wrote:
(08-19-2020, 04:46 AM)bcnaz Wrote:

thanks!

I like how this guy explain things! He is nformative with a touch of mystery... 'the three-letter agency' ...
I love that man too!
If you are in a hostile environment, you can switch your hardware off and only use what you really need. I don´t think anyone uses those switches on a daily basis but when your freedom depends on it, it´s nice to be able to use a hardware switch and not to rely on software only- which may or may not work. Nobody can use one of your cameras remotely regardless of what spy ware he managed to install. If you switch the cameras off via the switch, they´re off.
I have not actually used the switches.... yet, but I think they could be useful.
I think I would use a wooden tooth pick to move them.
A rear cover with a small sliding door over the switches should be available in the Pine store.
Do you think ?
On the Pinephone, UT does not use Halium, the middleware that´s usually found in Android devices running UT (and LuneOS, Plasma): https://halium.org/. Furthermore, the Pinephone aims to run the mainline Linux Kernel, something Android devices normally don´t do. With some exceptions, when you have an Android phone, you´re stuck with the Kernel version that the devices came with (including binary blobs). That Kernel may or may not be updated but you´ll never be able to switch to a newer Kernel.

So while the UT touch layer, the userland, is the same on pinephone and converted Android phones, beneath that layer they´re very different.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ADB support on Pinephone Sumwun 3 684 09-27-2023, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Sumwun
  Ubuntu Touch vs Standard Pinephone OS MarsColonist 8 5,430 06-26-2023, 07:50 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  PinePhone and PinePhone Pro 20.04 Focal Install and Update c3l@ 0 655 05-12-2023, 05:06 AM
Last Post: c3l@
  E-mail on the pine phone thorensjubilee 4 2,176 02-05-2023, 04:57 AM
Last Post: thorensjubilee
  Reinstall Ubuntu Touch on PinePhone with 10 drives? Peter Gamma 4 2,677 05-24-2022, 06:42 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  How to answer a call on a sleeping phone Athansor 1 2,008 10-20-2021, 05:03 PM
Last Post: lacriz
  Screen-off = dead phone okgo 11 9,321 09-27-2021, 07:53 PM
Last Post: jtn0514
  PinePhone UBPorts Edition stuck on PINE64 logo screen Giovanni Iannotti 4 4,723 09-01-2021, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Giovanni Iannotti
  Images won't boot past pinephone logo remington_luger 9 9,303 08-22-2021, 09:56 AM
Last Post: remington_luger
  GhostCloud workaround for PinePhone mark1250 1 3,090 08-12-2021, 02:53 AM
Last Post: Uturn