E-mail on the pine phone
Hello Friends,

Is there a proper e-mail client for UB Ports on the pinephone? Something like Thunderbird, Evolution or Geary? I don't mind Dekko but would prefer something with which I'm familiar.

Chris
(02-03-2023, 10:57 AM)thorensjubilee Wrote: Hello Friends,

Is there a proper e-mail client for UB Ports on the pinephone? Something like Thunderbird, Evolution or Geary? I don't mind Dekko but would prefer something with which I'm familiar.

Chris

Natively unfortunately no but you can try to install Thunderbird trough Libertine but don't expect too much. Geary did not work last time I tried and I don't know about Evolution.

Ubuntu Touch is slowly moving to Ubuntu 20.04 and when that movement is done there might be some solutions to install apps trough snap, flatpak or apt which are not currently supported (= if you try you will breake your UT).

Btw. UBports is the foundation Smile. OS is Ubuntu Touch
Do other GTK applications work on Ubuntu Touch? E.g., Megapixels. If so, I am not sure why Geary does not work for you. I can report that Geary works fine on Plasma Mobile. And of course, it is expected to work on Phosh, for which (along with desktop GNOME) it is developed. So if it really fails on Ubuntu Touch, that sounds like a bug in Ubuntu Touch.
(02-03-2023, 09:33 PM)Kevin Kofler Wrote: Do other GTK applications work on Ubuntu Touch? E.g., Megapixels. If so, I am not sure why Geary does not work for you. I can report that Geary works fine on Plasma Mobile. And of course, it is expected to work on Phosh, for which (along with desktop GNOME) it is developed. So if it really fails on Ubuntu Touch, that sounds like a bug in Ubuntu Touch.

Last time I tried was over a year ago. Ubuntu Touch does not work like all other linux mobile os.

In Ubuntu Touch there is read-only filesystem - aka. if you do use for example "apt update && apt upgrade" you will breake your UT. Ubuntu Touch is also currently based on very old 16.04 Xenial.
Official way to install apps to Ubuntu Touch is trough Open Store and if the apps is not there you don't have any "recommendet/supported way" to install it.
There is option called Libertine which creates kind of sandboxed os inside your Ubuntu Touch and it is kind of officially supported but it has not been actually developed for a long long time and most apps wont even launch even if you install them correctly. Things might change when move to 20.04 is ready.

So it is sort of bug in Ubuntu Touch but also sort of choice of Ubuntu Touch. Aka. core idea of Ubuntu Touch is not "install everything you want and tweak them to work" it is "works out of the box but some things are limited to gain more stability"
Hello Friends,

So it is a problem. I've tried to install Thunderbird, and Geary but with no luck. I'll wait for the 20.04 and see if that changes anything.

Chris

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to answer a call on a sleeping phone Athansor 1 2,009 10-20-2021, 05:03 PM
Last Post: lacriz
  Screen-off = dead phone okgo 11 9,322 09-27-2021, 07:53 PM
Last Post: jtn0514
  Making phone calls PinePhoneCoder 7 9,908 03-23-2021, 06:33 AM
Last Post: israel
  Is UT in PinePhone same thing than in another phone? natasha 23 23,764 08-24-2020, 10:23 AM
Last Post: Cree
  Mint Mobile & Pine Phone Lt. Dillinger 10 15,280 08-14-2020, 04:00 PM
Last Post: klick
  Unable to make a phone call bingo600 4 6,817 07-23-2020, 10:18 AM
Last Post: israel
  Dekko Mail no account configurable firefox-58 3 4,865 07-22-2020, 04:59 AM
Last Post: firefox-58
  New Pine Phone User LinuxBrave 2 3,496 07-21-2020, 05:43 PM
Last Post: natasha
  Problems with Phone Calls TitanToast 0 2,011 06-25-2020, 11:31 AM
Last Post: TitanToast
  Backing up phone calls and SMS? Zweitaktmotor 0 1,918 06-21-2020, 07:56 PM