Ubuntu Touch vs Standard Pinephone OS
Which is better to have on there right now? Which is most polished etc?

Tried to open the app recently on my Pinephone to get apps... called discover or something iirc, and it crashed the program every time I tried to start.  I don't think I've updated the phone yet though (at least not manually), so maybe that's why.  But I don't know how either (new user here).
(05-19-2022, 02:05 PM)MarsColonist Wrote: Which is better to have on there right now? Which is most polished etc?

Tried to open the app recently on my Pinephone to get apps... called discover or something iirc, and it crashed the program every time I tried to start.  I don't think I've updated the phone yet though (at least not manually), so maybe that's why.  But I don't know how either (new user here).

UT has a nicer interface but the Modem is very unstable. Using Phosh or Plasma Mobile you will find it way easier to have any reliability with calling, texting, and data. The other interfaces also act mostly like a Linux Desktop Environment where you are able to update via the terminal and install packages via the terminal. I also don't know how much work is really being put in to UT for the PinePhone.
Are the apps more polished for UT? Like in terms of how reliably they work, whether they crash a lot, etc.
(05-19-2022, 02:05 PM)MarsColonist Wrote: Which is better to have on there right now?

Well, I don't think Ubuntu Touch would be a viable alternative. With UT, the Pinephone "is not able to perform as a phone. If you need complete calling and cellular data functionalities, consider choosing a different device", according to the Ubuntu Touch website. (That's quite a a damning verdict if you compare it to some other phones (like the Volla Phone e.g.) about which it says: "Runs very smoothly without any flaws. The experience on this device will be comparable to other mobile OSes on the market.") 

Last time I checked, Mobian was the most complete OS for the Pinephone. That may have changed -- if any other System has overtaken it, I'd be as eager to know as you. But in my experience all important features work, though not well or comfortably. I have been using my Mobian PP as a daily driver for more than a year now, which was OK because I was mostly working from home and did not depend on a reliable phone, but could live with the approximately 85 percent reliability that Mobian provides.

A good way to check out the available OSes is Meghi's Multi Distro image. It allows you to flash 17 Systems onto an SD card and try
them out.
(05-20-2022, 11:07 AM)MarsColonist Wrote: Are the apps more polished for UT? Like in terms of how reliably they work, whether they crash a lot, etc.

The apps used on all other OS' are basically the same as what you would use on a Linux desktop. So depending on what apps you need, they are probably fairly close. I would recommend Arch with either Phosh or Plasma Mobile. I used Mobian as a daily driver for a few months then tried out Arch and found it to be a smoother experience for me.
(05-20-2022, 04:07 PM)ragreenburg Wrote:
(05-20-2022, 11:07 AM)MarsColonist Wrote: Are the apps more polished for UT? Like in terms of how reliably they work, whether they crash a lot, etc.

The apps used on all other OS' are basically the same as what you would use on a Linux desktop. So depending on what apps you need, they are probably fairly close. I would recommend Arch with either Phosh or Plasma Mobile. I used Mobian as a daily driver for a few months then tried out Arch and found it to be a smoother experience for me.

Ironically, considering Canonical's push a few years back for "convergence," apps for UBPorts, fka Ubuntu Touch, are not just adapted desktop apps, but rather mobile-specific. Many are actually mobile-only apps. The quality varies (a lot!), but the suitability for a mobile device UI is pretty much assured.

And SFOS apps on Pinephone, like Safilfish apps on every other port, are purpose-built for that platform.

This differs a lot from apps on Phosh (and maybe also on Plasma that I haven't tried much) which range from all they way from "looks and works absolutely great on mobile" to "I need to attach a mouse, keyboard and magnifying glass to my phone to make this usable."

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reinstall Ubuntu Touch on PinePhone with 10 drives? Peter Gamma 4 462 05-24-2022, 06:42 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  PinePhone UBPorts Edition stuck on PINE64 logo screen Giovanni Iannotti 4 2,320 09-01-2021, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Giovanni Iannotti
Information UBports Pinephone progress FOSSagent0 21 18,759 08-24-2021, 10:37 AM
Last Post: michel_luc
  Images won't boot past pinephone logo remington_luger 9 4,895 08-22-2021, 09:56 AM
Last Post: remington_luger
  GhostCloud workaround for PinePhone mark1250 1 1,733 08-12-2021, 02:53 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  UB Touch build with debos layton-dev 0 1,277 04-23-2021, 08:12 AM
Last Post: layton-dev
  Ubuntu Touch with OTA updates Luke 131 110,307 04-21-2021, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Nooblife
  Whats the latest with UB touch? Cree 9 7,502 03-11-2021, 10:59 AM
Last Post: andybleaden@gmail.com
  UT move to Ubuntu 20.04 Concrete_panda 2 3,736 11-24-2020, 12:43 PM
Last Post: DrewTechs
  Looks like I found a mild reason why UBPorts for pinephone hasn't seen much progress. plainenough 13 11,998 11-21-2020, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Nooblife