killed my pinebook pro with my pinephone
Well so far no luck. the debian version would not boot at all. Manjaro 20.06 does give me a green power light but no boot screen. So im gonna try another version.
(07-22-2020, 10:13 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(07-22-2020, 09:59 AM)jvlist Wrote: i think your right. i dont think the uboot is intact and i dont have a adapter so i will open the pinebook. and disable the emmc?(this is not cleat for me from your instruction) then boot from sd, then enable emmc en rebind it.. after rebinding can i install the emmc version again?

Your uboot was most certainly trashed if you accidentally wrote a phone image to your emmc.

There is a switch to en/disable the emmc inside the PBP. (It is identified in the image of the PBP with its bottom cover removed, on the wiki.)

To hopefully remove any confusion from my quick process detail, do this:

1. Download and write a live img to an SD.

2. If the PBP is on, shut it down, leaving the lid open. Lay the keyboard tray onto a surface. (The lid should be hanging off the edge of the surface.)  *This is an important step, as opening the lid with the bottom cover removed, is likely to flex and/or break the plastics of the PBP casing.

3. Remove the bottom panel screws, and the bottom panel. *Be careful! The edges of the panel are sharp, a pry tool is recommended. Also, be mindful that the speakers are adhered to the bottom panel, so do not pull it off quickly.

4. Locate the emmc switch and move it opposite the direction it is in (>OFF.)

5. Ensure you live SD is in the PBP SD slot, and turn on the PBP.

6. When the SD OS has started to boot, carefully flip the PBP over to return the emmc switch to its original position (<ON.) Then, carefully flip the PBP back over, so it the keyboard is up.

7. Once the SD OS has booted, open terminal and run these commands as root or sudo:

Code:
echo fe330000.sdhci >/sys/bus/platform/drivers/sdhci-arasan/unbind
echo fe330000.sdhci >/sys/bus/platform/drivers/sdhci-arasan/bind

8. Verify the emmc is now recognized within the SD OS. (Most live distros will have a Disk Utility available.)

9. Download (or transfer from another computer using USB) the OS img you want to write to your emmc, to the PBP.

10. Write the img to your emmc.

11. After writing the img completes, shutdown the PBP, remove the SD, and reinstall the bottom panel.

You should now be able to boot your PBP into your newly installed image, from the emmc.
I think you misunderstand
The manjaro emmc version, IIUR, is to be written to SD, has a script that
is designed to write a copy (less script) to emmc and run a first boot setup
Better to write SD version to emmc, or blank 1st 16m of emmc with dd if=/dev/zero ........bs=1M count=16
With blank 16M emmc, the damaged uboot is gone, will use uboot on SD
(07-23-2020, 03:23 AM)jvlist Wrote: Well so far no luck. the debian version would not boot at all. Manjaro 20.06 does give me a green power light but no boot screen. So im gonna try another version.

I was in a similar predicament as you.  I had installed Kali Linux on my eMMC and after an update the PBP was dead.  The light would come on red and then nothing.  I could not boot to SD for any distro and the USB boot did not work. I really did not feel comfortable trying to open the case and do the eMMC switch start procedure. Partially because I felt the risk of breaking it was high and partially because my two cats believe themselves to be tech savy and always come to assist.

I ordered this from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LHJ...UTF8&psc=1

It was 5 dollars and another 4 to ship it and it came in three days in the mail.  Once I got it, I locked the cats out of the bedroom (lol).  Then I turned the PBP over and removed the 10 screws from the back.  The eMMC was easy to spot and popped right out.  I placed it on this eMMC reader and put it in my other computer.  I flashed Mr.Fixit's original Debian build to the eMMC using Balena Etcher.  I put it back into the PBP and it booted right up.  The eMMC adapter is an extremely helpful device to have around.

In any case, Good Luck! and I hope you resolve your problem.
(07-31-2020, 09:18 AM)gracefullyparanoid Wrote:
(07-23-2020, 03:23 AM)jvlist Wrote: Well so far no luck. the debian version would not boot at all. Manjaro 20.06 does give me a green power light but no boot screen. So im gonna try another version.

I was in a similar predicament as you.  I had installed Kali Linux on my eMMC and after an update the PBP was dead.  The light would come on red and then nothing.  I could not boot to SD for any distro and the USB boot did not work. I really did not feel comfortable trying to open the case and do the eMMC switch start procedure. Partially because I felt the risk of breaking it was high and partially because my two cats believe themselves to be tech savy and always come to assist.

It was 5 dollars and another 4 to ship it and it came in three days in the mail.  Once I got it, I locked the cats out of the bedroom (lol).  Then I turned the PBP over and removed the 10 screws from the back.  The eMMC was easy to spot and popped right out.  I placed it on this eMMC reader and put it in my other computer.  I flashed Mr.Fixit's original Debian build to the eMMC using Balena Etcher.  I put it back into the PBP and it booted right up.  The eMMC adapter is an extremely helpful device to have around.

I had more or less the same issue, and I solved it the same way! Buying the USB to eMMC adapter and using it to flash to the eMMC directly with another computer!
(08-03-2020, 02:43 AM)gimy16 Wrote:
(07-31-2020, 09:18 AM)gracefullyparanoid Wrote:

I had more or less the same issue, and I solved it the same way! Buying the USB to eMMC adapter and using it to flash to the eMMC directly with another computer!
 Tnx guys for all tips. sofar ive tried several options. manjaro in different versions. Would not boot, did give me a green power light. Ubuntu bionic and arch, did nothing, same goes for android. But!! i tried fedora and it booted. So no i have fedora working from sd. Then i tried the command to unbind/bind emmc but it said with the first command that no such file was available. After that i unpacked the img.xz copied it to the pinebook. Extracting on the pinebook gave me problems cause i ran out of space. So i did it on my pc and copied it to an usb. Then did sudo dd if=name of distro of=/dev/mmcblk1 status=progress. install went ok. Rebooted and nothing ;-) so i think i did not install it to the emmc. After that fedora would not boot. reinstalled fedora with etcher (working again on the pinebook pro). Still stuck but at least with a bootable operating system (very slow btw). I will order the emmc adapter but still think it should be fixable without it.

echo fe330000.sdhci >/sys/bus/platform/drivers/sdhci-arasan/unbind (this command gave me no such file....)
>echo fe330000.sdhci >/sys/bus/platform/drivers/sdhci-arasan/unbind (this command gave me no such file....)
This makes me think that if you typed "lsblk", only one drive would have shown,,
ie only mmcblk1, and no mmcblk2
Did you forget to re-flip switch?
(08-04-2020, 09:44 AM)wdt Wrote: >echo fe330000.sdhci >/sys/bus/platform/drivers/sdhci-arasan/unbind (this command gave me no such file....)
This makes me think that if you typed "lsblk", only one drive would have shown,,
ie only mmcblk1, and no mmcblk2
Did you forget to re-flip switch?
[Image: ipot5tireug2]

no but to be sure i tried again, no difference. Does the emmc have to be on when you boot for it to show with lsblk?
(08-06-2020, 05:26 AM)jvlist Wrote: no but to be sure i tried again, no difference. Does the emmc have to be on when you boot for it to show with lsblk?
Yes, it does. When the switch is flipped to "off" it is essentially cut off from the rest of the computer. it will need to be in the "on" position and binded.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 3 1,898 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 298 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 238 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 226 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 166 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 554 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 618 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,217 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,998 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Happy eMMC and SDcard OS usage for Pinebook Pro Newbies... Paulie420 42 59,117 11-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: wdt