killed my pinebook pro with my pinephone
Ok so ik tried to flash an os to the pinephone with my pinebook pro. i think i gave the wrong command and the installation went to the pinebook emmc and not the phone. The pinebook had to be restarted and does not boot anymore. Ive looked for ways to reflash manjaro to the emmc but cant get it to boot. Right now i have manjaro emmc edition on a sd card but im not sure how to proceed. Any suggestions?

tnx in advance
If SD boot doesn't work, try USB boot, for some reason SD boot doesn't seem to work very fine on my PBP but when I put the SD on an USB adapter and boot from there it works...
(07-22-2020, 04:35 AM)Idaho Wrote: If SD boot doesn't work, try USB boot, for some reason SD boot doesn't seem to work very fine on my PBP but when I put the SD on an USB adapter and boot from there it works...
tnx will give that a try!

unfortunately is does not boot, no lights what so ever. Strange thing is yesterday the power button light went on, but i cant reproduce this.
I have never booted from USB on my pbp. However, when I ordered mine, I also ordered the larger emmc. To reinstall Manjaro, I used etcher to burn 20.04 to my 8gb as card. I booted with the SD card inserted. Please keep in mind that if it bolts from SD, it usually hangs at the Manjaro logo. After about 15seconds, you can hit ESC to get past the splash screen and I stall as normal. I hope this helps some as I am somewhat of a newb. Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
(07-22-2020, 06:31 AM)T240Guy Wrote: I have never booted from USB on my pbp. However, when I ordered mine, I also ordered the larger emmc. To reinstall Manjaro, I used etcher to burn 20.04  to my 8gb as card. I booted with the SD card inserted. Please keep in mind that if it bolts from SD, it usually hangs at the Manjaro logo. After about 15seconds, you can hit ESC to get past the splash screen and I stall as normal. I hope this helps some as I am somewhat of a newb. Good luck!

when you day majaro 20.04 is this the sd version or the emmc?
I downloaded the emmc version. Then I used etcher to send to SD. When you turn it on, it will boot from SD before emmc.

The SD/USB first booting only exists when the uboot on the emmc is intact. The. SoCs boot order is emmc, then SD.

The easiest way to recover (if you don't have the USB-emmc adapter) would be to remove the bottom panel from the PBP (with the lid open to avoid flexing/breaking the plastics,) insert a bootable SD, boot from it, flip the emmc switch to enabled, and rebind the emmc:
Code:
echo fe330000.sdhci >/sys/bus/platform/drivers/sdhci-arasan/unbind
echo fe330000.sdhci >/sys/bus/platform/drivers/sdhci-arasan/bind

Now the emmc should appear as a storage device to your OS, booted from SD. Write your desired image to the emmc now. (Don't use an 'emmc installer' image. They typically are meant to be booted from SD to write to the emmc.)

If you have the USB-emmc adapter, just take out the emmc, pop it onto the adapter, plug it into your PC, and write your image.
(07-22-2020, 09:10 AM)tophneal Wrote: The SD/USB first booting only exists when the uboot on the emmc is intact. The. SoCs boot order is emmc, then SD.

The easiest way to recover (if you don't have the USB-emmc adapter) would be to remove the bottom panel from the PBP (with the lid open to avoid flexing/breaking the plastics,) insert a bootable SD, boot from it, flip the emmc switch to enabled, and rebind the emmc:
Code:

Now the emmc should appear as a storage device to your OS, booted from SD. Write your desired image to the emmc now. (Don't use an 'emmc installer' image. They typically are meant to be booted from SD to write to the emmc.)

If you have the USB-emmc adapter, just take out the emmc, pop it onto the adapter, plug it into your PC, and write your image.

i think your right. i dont think the uboot is intact and i dont have a adapter so i will open the pinebook. and disable the emmc?(this is not cleat for me from your instruction) then boot from sd, then enable emmc en rebind it.. after rebinding can i install the emmc version again?
(07-22-2020, 09:59 AM)jvlist Wrote: i think your right. i dont think the uboot is intact and i dont have a adapter so i will open the pinebook. and disable the emmc?(this is not cleat for me from your instruction) then boot from sd, then enable emmc en rebind it.. after rebinding can i install the emmc version again?

Your uboot was most certainly trashed if you accidentally wrote a phone image to your emmc.

There is a switch to en/disable the emmc inside the PBP. (It is identified in the image of the PBP with its bottom cover removed, on the wiki.)

To hopefully remove any confusion from my quick process detail, do this:

1. Download and write a live img to an SD.

2. If the PBP is on, shut it down, leaving the lid open. Lay the keyboard tray onto a surface. (The lid should be hanging off the edge of the surface.)  *This is an important step, as opening the lid with the bottom cover removed, is likely to flex and/or break the plastics of the PBP casing.

3. Remove the bottom panel screws, and the bottom panel. *Be careful! The edges of the panel are sharp, a pry tool is recommended. Also, be mindful that the speakers are adhered to the bottom panel, so do not pull it off quickly.

4. Locate the emmc switch and move it opposite the direction it is in (>OFF.)

5. Ensure you live SD is in the PBP SD slot, and turn on the PBP.

6. When the SD OS has started to boot, carefully flip the PBP over to return the emmc switch to its original position (<ON.) Then, carefully flip the PBP back over, so it the keyboard is up.

7. Once the SD OS has booted, open terminal and run these commands as root or sudo:

Code:

8. Verify the emmc is now recognized within the SD OS. (Most live distros will have a Disk Utility available.)

9. Download (or transfer from another computer using USB) the OS img you want to write to your emmc, to the PBP.

10. Write the img to your emmc.

11. After writing the img completes, shutdown the PBP, remove the SD, and reinstall the bottom panel.

You should now be able to boot your PBP into your newly installed image, from the emmc.
wow tnx for taking the time to write down all the steps ;-) appreciated. ok will give this a go and let you know my results.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 3 1,884 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 298 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 238 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 226 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 165 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 554 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 608 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,216 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,997 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Happy eMMC and SDcard OS usage for Pinebook Pro Newbies... Paulie420 42 59,083 11-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: wdt