issues with keyboard/trackpad in Manjaro, can't test other OSs
Got my new PB Pro yesterday, and for the most part, I'm really happy with it.  There is an incredibly irritating issue with the trackpad, however.  In most cases, as soon as I stop using the keyboard or touchpad for 2-3 seconds, when I use either again there is about a 500ms lag before the input registers, similar to an older wireless mouse that goes to sleep after a few minutes and doesn't respond immediately when you use it.  The problem here is, in the case of the trackpad, when the initial movement is detected, it sees the movement during that 500ms as happening -instantly-, so the pointer jumps most of the way across the screen.  Situations where this do not occur include the login screen, if the KDE start menu is clicked and active, or if I change trackpad settings in System Settings (though it comes back soon after).

I decided to try flashing an alternate OS to an SD card, but so far the only one I could get to run was Manjaro XFCE, and that has the same problem.  Every other OS image I've tried from https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pinebo...re_Release has failed in one way or another:

Ubuntu Bionic - no video at all, but system does boot as I hear the Ubuntu login sound.  Ctrl-Alt-F1 does not bring up a visible console.
Ubuntu Focal - eventually was able to get to a text console with Ctrl-Alt-F1
Q4OS - no video, can't tell if it actually booted
Debian Desktop - boots with video, but video is extremely distorted and unreadable.  can see mouse pointer moving though, and it dosen't exhibit the problem.
Chromium - same as Debian, boots with extremely distorted video

In addition, I'm seeing this message repeated in dmesg in Manjaro (I also caught it on the Ubuntu Focal text console):
Code:
[  712.933099] rockchip-dp ff970000.edp: Failed to apply PSR -110
[  712.933141] [drm:analogix_dp_bridge_atomic_enable [analogix_dp]] *ERROR* Failed to disable psr -110
[  715.931970] rockchip-dp ff970000.edp: Failed to apply PSR -110
[  715.932011] [drm:analogix_dp_bridge_atomic_enable [analogix_dp]] *ERROR* Failed to disable psr -110
[  716.548933] rockchip-dp ff970000.edp: Failed to apply PSR -110
[  716.548974] [drm:analogix_dp_bridge_atomic_enable [analogix_dp]] *ERROR* Failed to disable psr -110

I've tried reflashing the trackpad firmware, however that did not affect the problem (unsurprising, since this unit just shipped it should have the latest FW).  Also tried different SD cards and USB sticks to boot alternate OSs, with identical results from each.  Also tried re-flashing uboot.  I think my next step may be trying to flash the old uboot from the previous default Debian image, but I'm a little leery to pull the trigger on that one just yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Josh
I just saw another thread with the same dmesg logs.
update or build a new kernel and mesa. it is almost always one of these two.

which versions of those are you using?
I'm encountering the same issue on my pinebook. It seems to be a hardware error with either the LCD panel or the DisplayPort transceiver. I've contacted support about it, but in the meantime I've found a workaround that allows the system to be usable: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...9#pid69349.
(06-20-2020, 11:02 AM)shawnanastasio Wrote: I'm encountering the same issue on my pinebook. It seems to be a hardware error with either the LCD panel or the DisplayPort transceiver. I've contacted support about it, but in the meantime I've found a workaround that allows the system to be usable: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...9#pid69349.
Decided to give this a try... I'm totally new to manjaro/arch so it took me a while to figure out how to pull down the kernel package and recompile it (i'm sure i'm still not doing it the 'right' way, just ran makepkg with --nobuild, commented out the section from your patch, then ran makepkg with --noextract).

That was a couple hours ago.  It's been years since I've tried to compile the linux kernel, forgot how long it takes, especially when your single-core performance isn't that impressive.  Though I have to say, I'm pretty impressed that it's not affecting overall system performance (i'm writing this while it's compiling in the background).  I'll update when I'm able to test the newly compiled kernel.

This problem is so weird.... I'm noticing that while I have this window (Chromium) active, the problem does not show up for the trackpad, though there's still a delay from the keyboard.  When I click to a different window, it comes back.  That's not consistent, though, since I normally have the problem *constantly* when I'm using a browser (chromium or FF), as that's where I primarily use a pointer.  Smile

(06-20-2020, 03:42 PM)joshw Wrote:
(06-20-2020, 11:02 AM)shawnanastasio Wrote: I'm encountering the same issue on my pinebook. It seems to be a hardware error with either the LCD panel or the DisplayPort transceiver. I've contacted support about it, but in the meantime I've found a workaround that allows the system to be usable: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...9#pid69349.
Decided to give this a try... I'm totally new to manjaro/arch so it took me a while to figure out how to pull down the kernel package and recompile it (i'm sure i'm still not doing it the 'right' way, just ran makepkg with --nobuild, commented out the section from your patch, then ran makepkg with --noextract).

That was a couple hours ago.  It's been years since I've tried to compile the linux kernel, forgot how long it takes, especially when your single-core performance isn't that impressive.  Though I have to say, I'm pretty impressed that it's not affecting overall system performance (i'm writing this while it's compiling in the background).  I'll update when I'm able to test the newly compiled kernel.

This problem is so weird.... I'm noticing that while I have this window (Chromium) active, the problem does not show up for the trackpad, though there's still a delay from the keyboard.  When I click to a different window, it comes back.  That's not consistent, though, since I normally have the problem *constantly* when I'm using a browser (chromium or FF), as that's where I primarily use a pointer.  Smile

Clarification - as soon as I posted the message, the problem came right back in Chromium.  Now that I'm composing a message again, it's gone (for the trackpad).  Very strange, though it might make sense to someone who has more knowledge re: linux GUI/display stuff.
I got mine yesterday and have been having a great time. The worst thing about it in stock form is the touchpad. So I updated the firmware and it got better, but like OP there is this extremely annoying hesitation sometimes. I was able to get a good synaptics profile that brings the touchpad much closer to a Macbook in performance. It outperforms my 2011 MBP when in Linux, so that's saying something. I still get the hesitation randomly. I'm thinking it may have something to do with a cpu governor. If I am working with, say, Firefox that uses some CPU, the touchpad stays responsive, but it's very evident when using terminals during testing. Is cpufreq turning down the polling interval, perhaps?

There seems like there's a frequency/timing issue when calculating movement, which seems like firmware. Whenever the cursor glitches, it seems to always have exaggerated movement, like it thinks your finger moved much faster than it actually did, like it's polling finger location too slow. It seems to slightly be related also with the keyboard, but not quite so badly as the touchpad.

Anyway, I'd love to post my tweaked synaptics file if anyone knows where to paste
Yaaaaaay thank you @shawnanastasio, that did it.  I agree that it's not a long-term fix, and I think the problem is still preventing me from trying other OSs, but I'm still really happy that I can now use the PB without constant frustration.  I hope I don't end up having to send it back to fix the issue, now that it's working properly I really don't want to give it up!
(06-20-2020, 05:35 PM)joshw Wrote: Yaaaaaay thank you @shawnanastasio, that did it.  I agree that it's not a long-term fix, and I think the problem is still preventing me from trying other OSs, but I'm still really happy that I can now use the PB without constant frustration.  I hope I don't end up having to send it back to fix the issue, now that it's working properly I really don't want to give it up!

@joshw, when you say "that did it" do you mean just that the dmesg logs went away? Or did patching the kernel fix the trackpad jumpiness?
(06-20-2020, 05:35 PM)joshw Wrote: Yaaaaaay thank you @shawnanastasio, that did it.  I agree that it's not a long-term fix, and I think the problem is still preventing me from trying other OSs, but I'm still really happy that I can now use the PB without constant frustration.  I hope I don't end up having to send it back to fix the issue, now that it's working properly I really don't want to give it up!

Glad to hear it worked!

(06-21-2020, 12:03 PM)mtnygard Wrote: @joshw, when you say "that did it" do you mean just that the dmesg logs went away? Or did patching the kernel fix the trackpad jumpiness?

The trackpad jumpiness is just a symptom of the display failing to refresh - it's not actually an issue with the trackpad itself. So disabling PSR will not only fix those kernel messages, but it will stop the panel from dropping frames and make the trackpad appear to work as normal.
Makes sense.

I have to confess, though, I'm having a hard time figuring out the right way to update my kernel. The Manjaro wiki says to use "Manjaro Settings Manager" to select kernels, but I don't see a "Kernels" section in my settings manager. I also see references to "mhwd-kernels", but I don't seem to have that command installed.

I'm a total noob to Manjaro and Arch so it's very likely that I broke it on my first day. Big Grin 

Any advice? The Arch wiki kernel update instructions worked great up until it tried to build an x86-64 kernel on my ARM machine!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Manjaro versions bad and good gilwood 0 188 02-12-2024, 05:03 PM
Last Post: gilwood
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 2,001 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  PBP won't boot after trying to reinstall Manjaro ARM soupgirl 3 562 12-13-2023, 08:17 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Issues with T-Mobile Home Internet? skinnyonthebebop 3 991 10-17-2023, 07:42 AM
Last Post: skinnyonthebebop
  Dead Pinebook Pro Keyboard Keys calinb 2 975 09-02-2023, 12:31 PM
Last Post: calinb
  power on Pinebook Pro mainboard without keyboard? papable 0 789 07-20-2023, 11:06 PM
Last Post: papable
  Games compilation howto on the Pinebook-pro (Manjaro Linux and Debian native) astr0baby 201 314,538 05-12-2023, 06:09 AM
Last Post: korreckj328
  Manjaro Plasma blinking cursor jcun4128 4 1,371 05-08-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: korreckj328
  PBP blank screen after updating Manjaro Franko 6 1,875 04-01-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: hacknix
  Manjaro - which libdrm? hacknix 0 529 04-01-2023, 03:21 AM
Last Post: hacknix