How to buy PinePhone WITHOUT opening a Paypal account?
Fantastic job presenting this information
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(04-20-2020, 07:04 AM)tophneal Wrote: @kramer65 I wish I could help more, but I'm just a volunteer moderator.

I did some poking around and found this, though. It looks like your issue is likely not Pine or PayPal's fault. There may be Dutch legislation preventing unfettered use of PayPal guest checkout for you.

Thanks @tophneal  that probably explains the situation

That unfortunately leaves me with no option to buy a Pine phone though. It seems like a weird strategy from Pine64 though, to make it impossible for some of your customers to pay you money.

I'll check back on the pine store in a while, maybe they add new payment options. Thanks anyway!
I don't think pine may have even realized that restriction was in place. Have you tried contacting sales to see if you can place an order through them?
I had the same problem and I am also from the Netherlands, i used VPN and it seems that for some countries like the USA it does have the option to not make an account and just pay with creditcard but for the Netherlands the option is not there.
It really made me angry because i own a creditcard for the exact reason as to not use paypal.
I tried using a USA VPN ip but then the problem becomes that you need to specify an american phone number and american state.
I found this too dangerous because maybe it would ship the product to the USA,i reluctantly made a paypal account to buy my product and deleted the account directly afterwards,
I REALLY hate paypal.
(05-07-2020, 10:39 AM)Jantje Wrote: I had the same problem and I am also from the Netherlands, i used VPN and it seems that for some countries like the USA it does have the option to not make an account and just pay with creditcard but for the Netherlands the option is not there.
It really made me angry because i own a creditcard for the exact reason as to not use paypal.
I tried using a USA VPN ip but then the problem becomes that you need to specify an american phone number and american state.
I found this too dangerous because maybe it would ship the product to the USA,i reluctantly made a paypal account to buy my product and deleted the account directly afterwards,
I REALLY hate paypal.

I should also say I know its not the fault of Pine64 and I am happy they are exploring other options it seems.
Since Pine64 is also about protecting privacy, perhaps it's a good idea to look for an alternative besides Paypal.
In NL they are starting to force you to use a mobile number for 2FA.
They present it as if Paypal is being forced by PSD2, but that is complete BS.
I don't want Paypal to directly access my bank account (or credit card), so I don't want to enable PSD2 access.

Luckily you can still get free sim cards in NL without doing a financial transaction, so you can work around it and still keep your privacy as much as possible.
But I'm not sure if that's still possible in all European countries.
(05-15-2020, 02:03 PM)jiyong Wrote: Since Pine64 is also about protecting privacy, perhaps it's a good idea to look for an alternative besides Paypal.
In NL they are starting to force you to use a mobile number for 2FA.
They present it as if Paypal is being forced by PSD2, but that is complete BS.
I don't want Paypal to directly access my bank account (or credit card), so I don't want to enable PSD2 access.

Luckily you can still get free sim cards in NL without doing a financial transaction, so you can work around it and still keep your privacy as much as possible.
But I'm not sure if that's still possible in all European countries.

I totally agree with you.
(05-17-2020, 01:06 PM)Jantje Wrote:
(05-15-2020, 02:03 PM)jiyong Wrote: Since Pine64 is also about protecting privacy [...]

I totally agree with you.

The premise is wrong. Pine64's philosophy does no mention privacy https://www.pine64.org/philosophy/
Well, why the fuss about the privacy switches done by the keyboard and not hardware switches?
In that case we can remove the privacy switches in the PinePhone.
It might not be there as a mission statement on the website, but their actions clearly indicate they want to protect privacy.
I just read the May community update in which it says:

> We’ll be accepting payments in cryptocurrencies soon

So I was really excited. But then I read the full post, in which it says:

> [edit] We no longer intend to support cryptocurrency payments at this time.

That was a big bummer.. :/

Ok, so still waiting for new payment options..

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where PinePhone Pro are Made Tony90 1 363 01-18-2024, 09:20 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  using Zoom on Pinephone andrew907 5 970 12-09-2023, 01:26 AM
Last Post: crocspot
  pinephone 3 ideas aular 2 683 11-30-2023, 07:57 AM
Last Post: aular
Exclamation Why still force us on paypal Jantje 22 9,969 09-27-2023, 08:10 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Does pinephone allow you to repair your own device as easily as fairphone? unix21311 3 1,853 11-06-2022, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Harolddavies0
  can i install mobian on pinephone? luofeiyu 2 1,233 10-15-2022, 07:31 AM
Last Post: user641
  Does the pinephone have hardware kill switches located on the outside of the phone? unix21311 2 1,659 10-03-2022, 05:53 AM
Last Post: unix21311
Sad New PinePhone Mobian Weekly Image... No Boot photon 1 1,069 09-27-2022, 07:00 AM
Last Post: olyavi
  Payment via PayPal for russian customers. Repechko 2 2,072 03-07-2022, 09:18 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  used PinePhone Mobian CE or PineTab CelynRollins 1 1,562 01-11-2022, 06:31 AM
Last Post: collierreinhold