debian+phosh running on PinePhone
(04-07-2020, 01:10 PM)a-wai Wrote:
(04-07-2020, 12:45 PM)buffer Wrote: No hand, phone comfortable distance from my face (~30cm?) while looking at it: 2360
Phone on flat surface, nothing near it: 2300-2400

OK thanks, what about the other in_proximity_* files? (distance doesn't matter here, don't bother checking the values multiple times, once will be enough)

in_proximity_integration_time: 0.000370
in_proximity_integration_time_available: 0.000185 0.000370 0.000741 0.001480 0.002960 0.005920 0.011840 0.023680 0.047360 0.005920 0.011840 0.023680 0.047360 0.094720 0.189440 0.378880 0.757760 1.515520 3.031040 6.062080
in_proximity_raw: 2308
in_proximity_scale: 0.100000
in_proximity_scale_available: 6.4 1.6 0.4 0.1

I'll open a ticket in gitlab if there isn't one already so we can track this better.
*.*.* PinePhone BraveHeart edition w/ distro: Debian + Phosh // GuixOS, Debian, Arch // pocket linux enthusiast // washed up sysadmin *.*.*
Hey janw,

ofc this is a security issue, but we're still talking about development device. If there are people actually running this as main driver and storing sensitive data there at this point, that's not wise thing to do. How many people do you think change the default accounts/passwords which are shown in this forum in a plain text ? Wink The ones who change it most probably also secure their ssh anyway.

I just got tired by having to install it by hand using that default keyboard.

Thanks for advice with creating the image - I'll see whether I find enough time for that.
(04-07-2020, 02:09 PM)p1trson Wrote: Hey janw,

ofc this is a security issue, but we're still talking about development device. If there are people actually running this as main driver and storing sensitive data there at this point, that's not wise thing to do. How many people do you think change the default accounts/passwords which are shown in this forum in a plain text ? Wink The ones who change it most probably also secure their ssh anyway.

I just got tired by having to install it by hand using that default keyboard.

Thanks for advice with creating the image - I'll see whether I find enough time for that.

I see what you mean, but I'm actually glad it isn't installed already because consider this: the PinePhone UBports Community Edition has just been released. Basically Ubuntu for ARM devices, a debian based distro. That's probably going to mean an influx of newbies. I could see one of them buying the phone, deciding they want Debian, coming here and not being aware that ssh-server is installed. Whereas for testers, the ssh-server is an apt install away

While it is an inconvenience when there is a bug that makes the phone inaccessible through normal means...

There is probably a middle way. Perhaps if there was a way to get default ssh only via the USB cable on the local computer, and not through wifi or data of the phone, nor any neighboring devices on the LAN of the connected computer, then that would be fine to leave as a default.
*.*.* PinePhone BraveHeart edition w/ distro: Debian + Phosh // GuixOS, Debian, Arch // pocket linux enthusiast // washed up sysadmin *.*.*
(04-07-2020, 01:08 PM)p1trson Wrote: 1) apt-get install openssh-server
2) systemctl enable ssh
5) can Vim be installed by default ?
openssh and vim are included in the pinephone-devtools package, I believe it is a reasonable compromise rather than having it installed by default, which might be a security risk, as mentioned by others.

(04-07-2020, 01:08 PM)p1trson Wrote: 6) one of my aims is to use Jami with pinephone
- it doesn't scale properly at all (even when changing scale in /usr/share/phosh/rootston.ini, can we fix it or do I need to fire up issue in Jami's git ?
- the keyboard with Jami is not working properly. All of the keys do nothing, I have noticed that pressing backspace key it outputs '=' meaning that I cannot login at all, again can we fix it or do I need to fire up issue in Jami's git ?
These look like issues related to Jami being X11-only (but I might be wrong).
As a general rule, issues with third-party apps (even the default ones) should be reported upstream, as I'm only putting things together and focusing on having as many hardware features working smoothly as possible, which is already quite a lot to do with very little time.

(04-07-2020, 01:08 PM)p1trson Wrote: 7) (again) can we have another keyboard ? the one there currently is not really usable e.g when working in terminal. I've seen better, not sure if in UBports or pmOS/plasma
I don't think so, squeekboard is (to the best of my knowledge) the most usable mobile-friendly wayland OSK so far. It is clearly far from perfect, but I actually find the terminal layout quite usable, have you used this layout ?

(04-07-2020, 01:08 PM)p1trson Wrote: 8) browser - FF works, but I really hate the zoom in/out.
- yes I know it's FF's fault, but is there any alternative to FF which is mobile friendly without sacrificing usability/security at all/too much ?
Epiphany ("Web") is also installed by default, you can give it a try.
(04-07-2020, 01:08 PM)p1trson Wrote: 4) for apps not scaling properly, temporarily you can :
change /usr/share/phosh/rootston.ini
[outputBig GrinSI-1]
scale = 2
- change the scale to 1 or 1.5 and reboot (or maybe there's another way not requiring reboot)
- found in pmOS thread (thanks!)
See our wiki entry for a workaround that lasts across reboots:
https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PinePh...-PinePhone
? All of the 'incoming texts' are showing twice ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Hello all!

First of all, thank you @a-wai for all of your work on this (and @bcnaz for steering me this way)! To parrot what other people have said, this is the most stable and usable distro I've used so far.

I'm not sure if this is a debian+phosh issue, chatty issue, or kernel issue, but I've yet to have any success with texting. I haven't been able to compose (just keep clicking on the contact) or receive a message (just never comes through). I've had outgoing texts work on Ubuntu Touch, but no luck with incoming texts there either.

I'm using Verizon with the latest image and updated packages and inclined to think it's related to Verizon. I'm not sure if there's a workaround or if this is a deeper issue, but this is the only thing keeping me from being able to debian+phosh as my daily! I'm not sure what logs would be most helpful, or if you can point me elsewhere, but any help is much appreciated!
(04-07-2020, 04:17 PM)laserbeamh Wrote: Hello all!

First of all, thank you @a-wai for all of your work on this (and @bcnaz for steering me this way)! To parrot what other people have said, this is the most stable and usable distro I've used so far.

I'm not sure if this is a debian+phosh issue, chatty issue, or kernel issue, but I've yet to have any success with texting. I haven't been able to compose (just keep clicking on the contact) or receive a message (just never comes through). I've had outgoing texts work on Ubuntu Touch, but no luck with incoming texts there either.

I'm using Verizon with the latest image and updated packages and inclined to think it's related to Verizon. I'm not sure if there's a workaround or if this is a deeper issue, but this is the only thing keeping me from being able to debian+phosh as my daily! I'm not sure what logs would be most helpful, or if you can point me elsewhere, but any help is much appreciated!

I think this is the case with most distros using phosh. According to the wiki:

Quote:The Chatty app requires that in order to start a new text, you need to enter +[country code]-[phone number]. Without the + and the country code (+1 for USA) you won't be able to send a new text.

I also don't know of anyone who has gotten PinePhone to work with Verizon but check this thread
I have been using the text (SMS)  for a while on this,  though it is a slightly tricky road it seems at the moment.  ( Oh I am running AT&T )
It seems there are actually 2 contact books, One on the desktop and the second you access from the sms screen,
that is where you can actually get your "send to" address.
Once you send the first text it is much easier from then on.
Have you attempted data or hot spot yet ?  Verizon may work different than my AT&T.
I can connect to the web, but cannot use it...  AT&T message appears and tells me I "do not have a data plan"   Though I do indeed.
( I talked to their tech for over an hour, they could see my phone but could not resolve the problem. They said they would send me a new sim card, but it has been over a week, still waiting )

Yes ! I forgot I did read that somewhere, I have been starting all the phone numbers with the + sign, and in my case + 1 then area code....
I too should have mentioned that also...
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(04-07-2020, 04:34 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Have you attempted data or hot spot yet ?  Verizon may work different than my AT&T.
I can connect to the web, but cannot use it...  AT&T tells me I "do not have a data plan"   Though I do indeed.
( I talked to their tech for over an hour, they could see my phone but could not resolve the problem. They said they would send me a new sim card )

RE: Mobile Carriers: You might want to consider contributing to one of the existing threads where other users share their experiences with carriers like Verizon and ATT.

United States

If you don't see a thread for your country, you may want to make a new thread for it in General. There will undoubtedly be other users having similar experiences who would benefit from your investigations.

All distros will have the same support for the same carriers so it is a general topic.

The other user experience issues you mentioned about the Chatty app, could be sent to https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/chatty/issues/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,514 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  unofficial kali linux for pinephone help needed pinesmell 5 3,449 01-08-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: ERPlegend
  Auto start application on Phosh login Zebulon Walton 8 3,106 10-14-2023, 06:29 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  Problem with updates: Repository 'Debian bookworm' changed its 'non-free component' Anna 7 1,908 08-31-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Has anyone got briar-desktop running on mobian? vusra 5 2,862 06-19-2023, 03:02 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Using sway along phosh fdlamotte 2 3,214 05-11-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: kabouik
  Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian arno_nuehm 219 160,153 03-26-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: shulamy
  PinePhone won't boot after software update jb2000 2 1,248 03-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
Wink Pinephone lost graphic during mobian system upgrade cmpin 4 2,057 03-01-2023, 04:45 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  Mobian + phosh firefox ublock and other overlays display bugs tuxcall 3 1,675 02-24-2023, 12:11 AM
Last Post: nexion