debian+phosh running on PinePhone
(03-18-2020, 11:20 AM)BlackWater Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 10:31 AM)buskmann Wrote: Also i find that "ip" is not installed. That is part of the "net-tools" package right? And "net-tools" is installed.

ip is in iproute2

Thanks Smile
(03-18-2020, 10:31 AM)buskmann Wrote: Thanks for the response.

Wanted to try to build the image on the pinephone itself, but i see that debos is not in the repos.
Nevertheless its about time to distrohop again, so will go for debian now.

Just wanted to share somethings i have found:

I installed growpart to expand the partition with:

sudo apt install cloud-guest-utils

and continued with:

growpart /dev/mmcblk2 1

and it spit out:

FAILED: sfdisk not found

then i did:

whereis sfdisk

and this came out:

sfdisk: /usr/sbin/sfdisk /usr/share/man/man8/sfdisk.8.gz

Dont know where to go from there..

Also i find that "ip" is not installed. That is part of the "net-tools" package right? And "net-tools" is installed.

But in the end i really love the image.
Thanks again for the awesome work. Big Grin

tbh it's easier to use Jumpdrive after you build the image on a computer
*.*.* PinePhone BraveHeart edition w/ distro: Debian + Phosh // GuixOS, Debian, Arch // pocket linux enthusiast // washed up sysadmin *.*.*
  Should we just do 'Updates' for now  or wait for new releases  to download ?

Thanks !
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(03-18-2020, 12:54 AM)buffer Wrote: P.S. Currently the battery life is 6 hrs sitting idle.
Did the same today and got 5:40 so that sounds about right. I did do an 'apt update/upgrade' during that a few hours in.
If you want to drain that battery a bit faster, you can run some games via retroarch - here's a low res video demo.

.jpg   pinephone-retroarch.jpg (Size: 26.19 KB / Downloads: 221)
(03-18-2020, 05:29 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Should we just do 'Updates' for now  or wait for new releases  to download ?
Just go with apt (or gnome-software) for updates, I'll probably be switching to a weekly release cycle.
I was able to build at 6.
Not at 10am.
A gnome Bluetooth dependency it seems.

I'll retry later
(03-19-2020, 03:07 AM)a-wai Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 05:29 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Should we just do 'Updates' for now  or wait for new releases  to download ?
Just go with apt (or gnome-software) for updates, I'll probably be switching to a weekly release cycle.

'Gnome Software'  showed updates available a few times today, so I ran them.

Now my contact book seems to be working better ?
I was having trouble connecting the incoming numbers with the names in the contact book, now they all have names.

At low screen brightness I get quite a bit of screen flicker ?
 (but perhaps that was because the battery was at about 12%)

With only the phone on,         and wifi, bluetooth, data, and screen off,  the phone was a little warm.

NOTE :
After using Balena Etcher to flash this SD card I ran 'Disk' and resized to the full 31.9gb of the SD card.
  any comments on that ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(03-19-2020, 03:14 AM)rico Wrote: I was able to build at 6.
Not at 10am.
A gnome Bluetooth dependency it seems.

I'll retry later

2020/03/19 11:12:18 apt |  udev : Depends: libudev1 (= 245-2+pinephone1) but 245.2-1 is to be installed

Trying another way Big Grin
thanks to Dukla who advised me to try this distribution (debian-pinephone-20200314 version) I want to report my experience.

Working:
- the calls work both outgoing and incoming, the audioo is not perfect (but I had launched an AT command with pmos and probably have to launch another one to compress the audio less)
- I can switch between the two speakers during the call
- sms work, the only problem is that I don't have the notifications for the sms arrived and I have to check periodically
- wifi working
- gps working!
- i'm not sure yet, but it looks like i don't have the battery draining problem while the phone is off

Trouble:
- mobile data not working, if I activate the switch the call signal goes away too (do I have to give some command at to activate the modem?)
- sometimes there are problems with the touch that seems to lose calibration until a reboot
- I noticed that by pulling down the panel (which also contains the power off button) and pressing the side button to turn off the screen (without pulling up the previous panel), when I turn on the screen again the touch doesn't respond anymore and the only thing I can do is to turn off the phone by holding down the side button for a long time (is this a dangerous operation? someone told me that I risk to damage the modem firmware by not following a proper shutdown procedure)
- the keyboard does not have the keys I use with the pc, such as alt, ctrl, function keys, unfortunately these are indispensable with linux. Example I can't save files edited with nano.
- resolution: what is the resolution of the phone? I have some applications that start at a fixed resolution but it seems to me that they still come out of the screen. And for these programs, I don't know how to resize and/or move the windows and so even if the programs work, I can't use them!
- cam not working, but it is already knowed

Anyway, the impression you get from the phone is that I finally have a free and open device in my hands, so thanks again for your efforts.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,514 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  unofficial kali linux for pinephone help needed pinesmell 5 3,449 01-08-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: ERPlegend
  Auto start application on Phosh login Zebulon Walton 8 3,106 10-14-2023, 06:29 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  Problem with updates: Repository 'Debian bookworm' changed its 'non-free component' Anna 7 1,909 08-31-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Has anyone got briar-desktop running on mobian? vusra 5 2,863 06-19-2023, 03:02 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Using sway along phosh fdlamotte 2 3,214 05-11-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: kabouik
  Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian arno_nuehm 219 160,328 03-26-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: shulamy
  PinePhone won't boot after software update jb2000 2 1,248 03-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
Wink Pinephone lost graphic during mobian system upgrade cmpin 4 2,057 03-01-2023, 04:45 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  Mobian + phosh firefox ublock and other overlays display bugs tuxcall 3 1,676 02-24-2023, 12:11 AM
Last Post: nexion