Fedora GNOME3 now available
Very good news. Thank you for the information Smile
I will keep an eye on beta (mid march) and hope they will release a compatible image.
(02-19-2020, 09:59 AM)tuxfanou Wrote: That's, right, kernel included on official image can't boot at all.
First, just for trying, I flashed image on this post on sd card : it's works, you can do it too Smile
Now I have Fedora on emmc, for this you need to open PBP and remove it from motherboard (very easy) and use usb adapter (you need to have one)

So, workaround is sd card, you just need fast one.

Okay, i will need to wait for this until i get this usb adapter

(02-19-2020, 03:34 PM)madalin Wrote: Fedora already is working to officially support pinebook pro. The installer will allow to install Fedora 32 and the kernel will be supported by the Fedora community.

Thanks for the info , so according to https://fedorapeople.org/groups/schedule...tasks.html , Fedora 32 is branched out from rawhide right now. We could try to get that image, flash it to the SD , boot from SD and then try to install to emmmc , right?
(02-19-2020, 10:12 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(02-19-2020, 09:59 AM)tuxfanou Wrote: Now I have Fedora on emmc, for this you need to open PBP and remove it from motherboard (very easy) and use usb adapter (you need to have one)

Does dd/xzcat/pv not work to right the image to the emmc while booted from an SD?

It works to dd to emmc. I tried first from Fedora SD, but that did not work. I flashed my SD with Alpine/Postmarked. Unpacked Fedora image on my other more strong computer and put the image file on a ext4 formated USB stick. Then I mounted the USB in Alpine and dd image to emmc. It went pretty fast actually. A couple of things I did in Fedora after is add a swap file. And in addition to the tips from maintainer I turned off search for everything except files. I recommend exclude kernel* in dnf, because you want to keep the provided kernel. For me Firefox works better than Chromium.
I'm testing this distro and runs very very smooth.

I don't find big problems on it.

Could be a good choice to burn into emmc.
This image has been great for me so far. Gnome3 works well, unlike on current Manjaro and Arch, and it's much faster than the README laid out expectations for. I'm very impressed!

Anyone else noticing a lot of yellow where it shouldn't be (specifically on images on webpages?) Fixed by forcing use of sRGB color profile under chrome://flags
(03-05-2020, 09:44 AM)tophneal Wrote: This image has been great for me so far. Gnome3 works well, unlike on current Manjaro and Arch, and it's much faster than the README laid out expectations for. I'm very impressed!

Anyone else noticing a lot of yellow where it shouldn't be (specifically on images on webpages?) Fixed by forcing use of sRGB color profile under chrome://flags

I am pleasantly surprised as well, the README does paint a gloomier picture than it needs to. It does take a long time to start, but it is very stable when in operation. It also for me has trouble shutting down. It gets into some endless loop, and after 15-20 minutes I just have to force a shutdown. I had gathered from the README that many changes/additions are in store for the kernel, however while I get regular Fedora software updates, I have not noticed anything coming through for the kernel.

All the software I have tried has launched and configured easily. It is fluid in operation. Power management is not any better than another orther distro, but isn't really any worse either. I do not watch movies, download videos or game on the Pinebook Pro, so I can not comment on graphics or video performance beyond saying graphics is fine for general purposes.

bill
Just noticed this, thought I'd share in case anyone else is wondering: no Wayland here. Found a repo for mesa-git, bit it only have packages for i386 and x86. Upgrade to 32 for newer mesa and wayland.
I found this a pretty stable install as well, and while Gnome is a bit heavier than some other interfaces it works well here.
Questions for those using Fedora.... is it Fedora 32? Also, is it autoupdating or are there capabilities to autoupdate similar to Manjaro or the previous Debian default OS?

Is audio working properly?

Thanks
It's 31 I believe, but if you switch to rawhide, you'll update to 32. Not sure about autoupdating, I tend to run all that myself. Haven't had any issues with sound playback.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fedora 37 installation gswatkins 16 5,527 03-16-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: michel_luc
  Fedora 36 -> 37 upgrade kills system tydeman 0 370 10-28-2023, 09:53 AM
Last Post: tydeman
  Upgrade Fedora from 37 to 38? acruhl 2 820 07-12-2023, 09:31 PM
Last Post: acruhl
  Fedora Workstation (36) on Pinebook Pro u974615 13 6,886 09-02-2022, 11:24 AM
Last Post: u974615
  No audio on Pinebook Pro with Fedora? foobar 1 1,334 08-22-2022, 12:12 PM
Last Post: snorwood
  OpenSUSE with XFCE/ GNOME3 now available Luke 35 52,833 01-10-2022, 01:06 PM
Last Post: werwolf
  Fedora 33 to 34 upgrade issues tydeman 2 2,388 12-02-2021, 02:43 AM
Last Post: linuxfreund
  setting up fedora from minimal install pine76 0 1,281 11-30-2021, 10:47 AM
Last Post: pine76
Question Can't boot any operating system other than Fedora after following the nullr0ute guide TDC_PBP 1 2,378 10-09-2021, 07:35 PM
Last Post: TangoZuluTango
  Some little things to help Fedora users ccunix 0 1,549 05-22-2021, 06:32 AM
Last Post: ccunix