debian+phosh running on PinePhone
@a-wai Thank you for updating the wiki! Now I see the documentation on building my own. I will do that...

I have read that in Maemo Leste, calls are working but only via terminal! I want to figure out how to do that with this one. I think I'll probably have a foot in debian phosh and a foot in Maemo Leste and, time permitting, try to help get these stable. (Can't promise anything..) I am no coder but I can edit configs and follow compilation instructions...

Another thing I will want to try is see if I can migrate to Devuan through a similar process like this article https://devuan.org/os/documentation/dev1...e-to-ascii

Will share findings if anything interesting...

P.S. We should update this page at some point, thanks to your project. https://wiki.debian.org/Arm64Port
*.*.* PinePhone BraveHeart edition w/ distro: Debian + Phosh // GuixOS, Debian, Arch // pocket linux enthusiast // washed up sysadmin *.*.*
a-wai Wrote: You should build these the debian way, which is, from the package's source dir:
Code:
sudo apt build-dep .
dpkg-buildpackage -uc -us -b
So that you can install using dpkg. Afterwards, just reboot and you'll use your all new phoc. But I suggest you google these commands firstand read a bit about it, debian package building can be tricky on your first attempts Wink

Thanks for the instuctions, that makes more sense - but  I suspect the deb files I created aren't patched versions of phoc. More homework required or I'll just wait for it to turn up when it's ready  Big Grin
(02-28-2020, 06:45 AM)harvey186 Wrote:
(02-28-2020, 05:27 AM)murak Wrote: Which packages did you install?    -->  I have used 'sudo apt install task-xfce-desktop'
How did you boot in to xfce?  -->  I'm using these commands: '
Code:
systemctl stop phosh
sudo pkill -KILL -u debian
 Than you get the login screen and before add the PW change to desktop via wheel left of OK Button
But be carefull. The device getting hot, very hot and don't use 'Weston'. you can't change back.
Actually, if you choose Weston, you can get back to the login screen. Just ssh in your pinephone, search for weston's pid with
Code:
ps -aux | less
and then type sudo kill (weston pid)
nas Wrote:I suspect the deb files I created aren't patched versions of phoc
Well, if your checked out branch is patched, then the deb files are built with the patch Wink

(03-03-2020, 06:56 PM)buffer Wrote: I have read that in Maemo Leste, calls are working but only via terminal! I want to figure out how to do that with this one. I think I'll probably have a foot in debian phosh and a foot in Maemo Leste and, time permitting, try to help get these stable. (Can't promise anything..) I am no coder but I can edit configs and follow compilation instructions...
That's a good idea, I'm using pmOS as a reference, but comparing audio/modem configurations with Maemo could be useful too!

(03-03-2020, 06:56 PM)buffer Wrote: Another thing I will want to try is see if I can migrate to Devuan through a similar process like this article https://devuan.org/os/documentation/dev1...e-to-ascii
Sure, but keep in mind that this is probably bound to fail (I think), as we need a lot of GNOME libs, and GNOME relies heavily on systemd.
Anyway, I won't stop you from trying, who knows what you can find out Wink
(03-04-2020, 02:56 AM)lapinus Wrote:
(02-28-2020, 06:45 AM)harvey186 Wrote:
Code:
ps -aux | less

and then type sudo kill (weston pid)

won't work, because you don't have access to keyboard. Don't know if it will work via ssh.
(03-03-2020, 05:32 AM)harvey186 Wrote: Since the last both images the calendar app won't start on my PP. Does anyone has the same issue ?
Right, I reproduced it, this is an issue of timezone configuration. I'll check how to fix it
In the meantime, you can go to "Settings" -> "Details" -> "Date & Time", and then select your timezone, this should fix your problem.

(03-03-2020, 11:29 AM)parkerwb Wrote: Rats... can't get 2/29 to boot. Hits the splash screen and just reboots itself. Will try to track it down. On a slow ass 8GB card.
Freshly flashed an SD with 20200229, works fine here. Maybe try another SD?
(03-02-2020, 10:44 AM)a-wai Wrote:
(03-02-2020, 09:15 AM)ashimokawa Wrote: If I manually remove gdm3 (dpkg --purge gdm3) the phone no longer boots to phosh but just shows a console.
reinstalling gdm3 makes it work again.
After removing gdm you have to upgrade your packages, otherwise you won't have the updated phosh that starts automatically.

Nope, I did upgrade packages, still did not start

What I had to do to make it automatically start is:

Code:
systemctl enable phosh
(03-04-2020, 03:28 AM)a-wai Wrote:
nas Wrote:I suspect the deb files I created aren't patched versions of phoc
Well, if your checked out branch is patched, then the deb files are built with the patch Wink

Ah, that's where I went wrong - I tried again with the correct branch and will see if the new deb files work later on today.

Edit: Success! Here's a download link if anyone else wants to give it a try - and another low res video demo  Smile
(03-04-2020, 10:11 AM)nas Wrote: Edit: Success! Here's a download link if anyone else wants to give it a try  Smile
Cool, I'll give it a try very soon, thanks!

On the "good news" topic, I finally got voice calls working Smile
A bit of polishing is needed before releasing a new image (mostly, automating the modem config, as well as changing the audio routing automatically when in a call), but you should get something during next week if all goes well!
That's a very good news.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,514 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  unofficial kali linux for pinephone help needed pinesmell 5 3,452 01-08-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: ERPlegend
  Auto start application on Phosh login Zebulon Walton 8 3,106 10-14-2023, 06:29 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  Problem with updates: Repository 'Debian bookworm' changed its 'non-free component' Anna 7 1,912 08-31-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Has anyone got briar-desktop running on mobian? vusra 5 2,863 06-19-2023, 03:02 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Using sway along phosh fdlamotte 2 3,214 05-11-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: kabouik
  Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian arno_nuehm 219 160,364 03-26-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: shulamy
  PinePhone won't boot after software update jb2000 2 1,250 03-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
Wink Pinephone lost graphic during mobian system upgrade cmpin 4 2,059 03-01-2023, 04:45 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  Mobian + phosh firefox ublock and other overlays display bugs tuxcall 3 1,676 02-24-2023, 12:11 AM
Last Post: nexion