Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE
I tried a few times and failed in various places, likely my lack of gentoo/pine boot process, questions for when one has time, I know we're pulling the Manjaro source using this script, what config are we building against, if at all or are preparing the kernel config manually? When I ran module install, I got an error(don't have it recorded but likely I did something wrong Smile ), long story short can someone share with me a working kernel config for this for the next time I run through it.

Apologies if these seem basic, my other gentoo are x86 and as stated before rpi(2,3/b+(64)), x86 I generally genkernel first then tweak, rpi had it's own defconfig that could then be tweaked.
@delcaran ah, guess the hardened profile doesn't allow to override PORTDIR then, because the script sets that to /var/db/repos/gentoo Sad That shouldn't break anything though

@JaceAlvejetti just to be clear, you are talking about the pinebookpro-manjaro-sources ebuild? It should copy the manjaro config to .config (which is NOT the pinebookpro_defconfig).
You can find the config in /var/db/repos/pinebookpro-overlay/sys-kernel/pinebookpro-manjaro-sources/files , or /var/lib/layman/pinebookpro-overlay/sys-kernel/pinebookpro-manjaro-sources/files if you're still on the layman version.
An error on module install is... interesting, can't think of any reason why that'd happen.
As for the boot process... yeah, I want to make an ebuild for that, but haven't had any time this week. Didn't call this a beta release for no reason Tongue
(01-24-2020, 07:41 AM)jannik2099 Wrote: @delcaran ah, guess the hardened profile doesn't allow to override PORTDIR then, because the script sets that to /var/db/repos/gentoo Sad That shouldn't break anything though

@JaceAlvejetti just to be clear, you are talking about the pinebookpro-manjaro-sources ebuild? It should copy the manjaro config to .config (which is NOT the pinebookpro_defconfig).
You can find the config in /var/db/repos/pinebookpro-overlay/sys-kernel/pinebookpro-manjaro-sources/files , or /var/lib/layman/pinebookpro-overlay/sys-kernel/pinebookpro-manjaro-sources/files if you're still on the layman version.
An error on module install is... interesting, can't think of any reason why that'd happen.
As for the boot process... yeah, I want to make an ebuild for that, but haven't had any time this week. Didn't call this a beta release for no reason Tongue

Right now I'm having problems with the boot loader. I think I was too confident going with hardened musl, so over the weekend I'll try again with vanilla glibc.
I was indeed, I will look again maybe in my rush of playing around I have over written it each time, wouldn't be surprised honestly, I likely also screwed with something to cause the modules to fail, that or maybe it an issue with my distcc I'll try it on PBP only, If I didn't say it previously i wasn't blaming you, More so question which I appreciate the answers!! I will give this another shot over the weekend.

EDIT:
So I finally found time to try again, standard build starting with stage3-arm64-20191124.tar.bz2, followed amd64 handbook up to just after selecting the profile,
kde non systemd in my case,
allowing me to emerge git, run the script and all seems well,
emerge kernel source and firmware(sys-kernel/pinebookpro-manjaro-sources and sys-firmware/pinebookpro-firmware), select kernel
kernel builds "make -j6 CC=distcc CXX=distcc Image dtbs modules" with the included config with quite a few  "warning: this statement may fall through [-Wimplicit-fallthrough=]" but builds
make modules_install returns "sed: can't read modules.order: No such file or directory
make: *** [Makefile:1314: _modinst_] Error 2"

I don't believe it matters but host is Manjaro, Later today I am going to attempt a non-distcc kernel build and see if thats the limiting factor.

Alright, Making progress! not sure if its my old habit or the distcc server yet, I just ran "make" in the kernel source directory rather then the above "make Image dtbs modules" this produced the kernel, modules and dtbs as expected, at this point I was compiling on an external usb HDD to save writes on my SD card to I dropped Manjaro on the SD, formatted the root and rsynced the Gentoo over, it failed but its closer then I have gotten! I am going to try a Debian image next with the separate boot partition.

random note, distcc is successful with everything else where portage is concerned.
Interesting, you're the second person encountering issues when distcc-ing the kernel, guess that's broken then.

When formatting the SD, remember to NOT overwrite uboot! it sits somewhere between 2048 and 65k somewhere, check the partition table to make sure.
Thanks for the hint about the uboot, I knew about it from other posts but tips ALWAYS welcome, as of about 10 minutes ago I HAVE BOOTED!, I am happy, but two steps forward one back, in the newest oddity Its mounting my root read only, I can successfully remount it read write once booted as I am terminal only at this point.

I am going to investigate but if you have any ideas I am willing to try them, thank for all your help!
U-Boot & friends live here;

Code:
/dev/mmcblk1p2 : start=       64, size=    16320, name="IDBLoader"
/dev/mmcblk1p3 : start=    16384, size=     8192, name="U-Boot"
/dev/mmcblk1p4 : start=    24576, size=     8192, name="TrustedFirmware-A"

I created partition table entries for them, to make it easier to both understand the reserved space and modify one at a time..
So, any user partition table entries should start here, (256MB "/boot" partition shown);

Code:
/dev/mmcblk1p1 : start=    32768, size=   524288, name="Linux-boot"

Note the fixed number of "/boot", which is 1. I have learned that it needs both partition number 1 and FS labeled "BOOT" for the stock Debian U-Boot instance.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
(01-24-2020, 10:48 AM)JaceAlvejetti Wrote: Alright, Making progress! not sure if its my old habit or the distcc server yet, I just ran "make" in the kernel source directory rather then the above "make Image dtbs modules" this produced the kernel, modules and dtbs as expected, at this point I was compiling on an external usb HDD to save writes on my SD card to I dropped Manjaro on the SD, formatted the root and rsynced the Gentoo over, it failed but its closer then I have gotten! I am going to try a Debian image next with the separate boot partition.

random note, distcc is successful with everything else where portage is concerned.

The kernel build system will check for your compiler version.
On your disstcc server and on your host should be the same, including revisions.
... currently not tested dictcc in my enviroment.
(01-13-2020, 10:47 AM)jannik2099 Wrote: Hello everyone

Today marks the beta release of my Gentoo install script. This is NOT an image you flash to an SD but rather a script that modifies a Gentoo tarball for the Pinebook Pro. You'll have to do the usual setup yourself as is Gentoo tradition, but the Pinebook Pro specifics like Kernel and Firmware are (mostly) handled by the script.

Instructions are in the GitHub README, please report bugs and questions here. You can also find me on the PINE64 Discord.
The script takes about 20 60 minutes to run on the pbp, compiling the kernel is another ~90 minutes. This means you should have a working Gentoo install after less than three hours, plus some time spent reading the Handbook.

Link to GitHub: https://github.com/Jannik2099/gentoo-pinebookpro

Status of this release:

Most things should behave the same as in Manjaro since this uses the Manjaro Kernel. This means we have working wifi, bluetooth, GPU acceleration.
The mali blob drivers are not supported since the dts is incompatible, this uses panfrost.

Tested Desktop environments are KDE Plasma and sway. Both work without issue, but sway might be a bit slow since glamor had to be disabled.
There's no reason to believe that other DEs might be broken, I simply don't have the time to compile all of them.
This script is compatible with both systemd and OpenRC tarballs.
This script is compatible with glibc and musl tarballs.

The Qt libraries are configured to use the gles2 backend, this is significantly faster and more stable in my experience. However Krita and Digikam are unavailable as a result. You can use them if you disable the gles2 backend.

A huge shoutout to the Manjaro team for their help and insights, this project would not have been possible without you!

With that being said, enjoy and please report all bugs, suggestions and nitpicks!

Why did you have to disable glamor? Isn't the driver in mesa an actual glamor driver?
Haven't managed to start qith Gentoo on the pbp, but I stripped down a Manjaro installation of all and installed just sway, disabled x server, and everything is far more smooth then any other available image for this laptop. Firefox supports wayland too and possible this year will have vaapi video decoding, but only for wayland.

Gonna try to setup gentoo using your starting script. I hope this way I will be able to squize a little more from it.
(01-30-2020, 06:59 AM)ElektromAn Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 10:48 AM)JaceAlvejetti Wrote: Alright, Making progress! not sure if its my old habit or the distcc server yet, I just ran "make" in the kernel source directory rather then the above "make Image dtbs modules" this produced the kernel, modules and dtbs as expected, at this point I was compiling on an external usb HDD to save writes on my SD card to I dropped Manjaro on the SD, formatted the root and rsynced the Gentoo over, it failed but its closer then I have gotten! I am going to try a Debian image next with the separate boot partition.

The kernel build system will check for your compiler version.
On your disstcc server and on your host should be the same, including revisions.
... currently not tested dictcc in my enviroment.

I haven't tried diagnosing distcc/kernel since I got it working, when I was using it, the kernel would build but I would get the module install error. Could be a mismatch I suppose, I'll check when time allows, otherwise as I said emerge uses it flawlessly.

@jannik2099 got me sorted on the boot issue by passing rw in both the boot conf and fstab for the time being

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 8 449 03-22-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,126 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 1,921 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 1,981 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 994 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  PineBook Pro seems to go to deep sleep, but doesn't wake up pogo 11 4,931 08-31-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Would a Pinebook Pro be good for a Linux newbie? cassado10 6 1,326 08-08-2023, 04:58 AM
Last Post: moobythegoldensock
  Install deepin OS on pinebook pro wangyukunshan 4 1,426 08-07-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: myself600
  Kali Linux for Pinebook Pro - stuck on the login screen owaspfap 0 608 07-13-2023, 05:21 PM
Last Post: owaspfap
  OpenCL on pinebook Pro Bram 2 907 06-30-2023, 08:50 PM
Last Post: scurrvy2020