Trackpad firmware update
I got my pbp today (ANSI variant).  Running the default Debian + MATE build (with last available update via MrFixit script). I did not tried to update the kb/tp firmware. I tried to press the keyboard while making contact with the track pad and it types. Is it possible that I got a pbp with the kb/tp firmware already updated?
(01-14-2020, 08:07 AM)jpsm Wrote: I got my pbp today (ANSI variant).  Running the default Debian + MATE build (with last available update via MrFixit script). I did not tried to update the kb/tp firmware. I tried to press the keyboard while making contact with the track pad and it types. Is it possible that I got a pbp with the kb/tp firmware already updated?

It is possible indeed that later units have the fix.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(01-13-2020, 03:19 PM)Luke Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 03:10 PM)ravanh Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 10:39 AM)Luke Wrote: @ravanh clearly you didn't read ayufan's instructions Smile I suggest you read them and, as its clearly stated, use an external keyboard + mourse / SSH for the update process

Yeah, I see that last point now... my bad. So, is there a way out of this? Or have I just ruined my 300 dollars (incl. shipping and 60+ euro tax) not 1 hour after unpacking? That's really depressing :/

Don't worry, you haven't ruined anything. Just start over. Do step 1, reboot, step 2, reboot. Thats all.

Ah, no... like I wrote: that's not possible. I boot into a black screen. I can see the mouse pointer but cannot move it. There is no login or anything. Cannot even use Ctrl+Alt+F-keys to get to a login terminal anymore...

And now I also notice "DO NOT USE WITH ANSI KEYBOARD. THIS IS NOT YET SUPPORTED. IT WILL BREAK THE KEYBOARD AS OF TODAY" on https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/pineboo...rd-updater which is my case :S
(01-14-2020, 09:38 AM)ravanh Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 03:19 PM)Luke Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 03:10 PM)ravanh Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 10:39 AM)Luke Wrote: @ravanh clearly you didn't read ayufan's instructions Smile I suggest you read them and, as its clearly stated, use an external keyboard + mourse / SSH for the update process

Yeah, I see that last point now... my bad. So, is there a way out of this? Or have I just ruined my 300 dollars (incl. shipping and 60+ euro tax) not 1 hour after unpacking? That's really depressing :/

Don't worry, you haven't ruined anything. Just start over. Do step 1, reboot, step 2, reboot. Thats all.

Ah, no... like I wrote: that's not possible. I boot into a black screen. I can see the mouse pointer but cannot move it. There is no login or anything. Cannot even use Ctrl+Alt+F-keys to get to a login terminal anymore...

And now I also notice "DO NOT USE WITH ANSI KEYBOARD. THIS IS NOT YET SUPPORTED. IT WILL BREAK THE KEYBOARD AS OF TODAY" on https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/pineboo...rd-updater which is my case :S

It works, he just forgot to remove that warning from Git

Quote:<P64ProtocolBot> [D] <lukasz> ayufan ... what happened to the FW update?
<P64ProtocolBot> [D] <lukasz> ""DO NOT USE WITH ANSI KEYBOARD. THIS IS NOT YET SUPPORTED. IT WILL BREAK THE KEYBOARD AS OF TODAY"
<ayufanWithPM> oh, I might have not removed this message Smile
<P64ProtocolBot> [D] <lukasz> phew...
<P64ProtocolBot> [D] <lukasz> so it works again?
<ayufanWithPM> nothing changed since last time
<P64ProtocolBot> [D] <lukasz> ok
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Powered down my computer reinstall the firmware update iso.

1. Trackpad works.

2. The keyboard is still out of wack...

What can I do to correct this?

Thank you
(01-13-2020, 10:05 PM)Sally Wrote: It was the second part that doesn't download /  work. It says something like saying, file can't be found.

I had a similar issue. I rebooted and started with Step 1 again. I had to do it a couple of times, but it eventually worked. Not sure why it doesn't consistently work on the first try, but others have said they had to do it a few times to get it to work.
(01-14-2020, 02:28 PM)inkslinger Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 10:05 PM)Sally Wrote: It was the second part that doesn't download /  work. It says something like saying, file can't be found.

I had a similar issue. I rebooted and started with Step 1 again. I had to do it a couple of times, but it eventually worked. Not sure why it doesn't consistently work on the first try, but others have said they had to do it a few times to get it to work.

I attempted the power down about over a dozen times. Nothing has worked: I now have to use an external keyboard to login and type anything on the Pinebook Pro. I'm sorry I attempted an update, not much use if I can't use the keyboard.  Thank you. I'll attempt it again later on today.
(01-14-2020, 08:46 AM)Luke Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 08:07 AM)jpsm Wrote: I got my pbp today (ANSI variant).  Running the default Debian + MATE build (with last available update via MrFixit script). I did not tried to update the kb/tp firmware. I tried to press the keyboard while making contact with the track pad and it types. Is it possible that I got a pbp with the kb/tp firmware already updated?

It is possible indeed that later units have the fix.

Hello Luke.

I got my PBP yesterday, and as it appears that installing the firmware updates has proven to be problematic for some people, I'm wondering whether there is a way to see what versions of the trackpad and keyboard firmwares are installed so we know whether we need to attempt this or not.  Is it possible to check this somehow?

Thank you very much Luke--really looking forward to helping make the PBP a viable platform for all!

Bill
Wondering if I need the firmware update too. But I guess it won't hurt to just install it either. Just received my Pinebook Pro yesterday and keyboard and touchpad actually are ok. Touchpad sometimes seems to be a bit chewing gum ish. Like it is lagging a bit behind or needs to be pushed a bit further.
Not sure if there is a better/proper way to do such but considering the respective announcement mentioning that the

"default Pinebook Pro keyboard/trackpad firmware has a flaw which causes the keyboard to become unresponsive when your finger/palm makes contact with the trackpad"

and as I vaguely remember reading someone suggesting somewhere (although not able to quote at the moment) as a 

proto-test to evaluate whether kb/tp may have gotten the firmware update already or not, 

I tried hitting keyboard keys while touching the trackpad and observing whether I was actually typing the pressed keys or not

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,998 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  After update, multiple problems, pinebook pro. jd50i 1 968 09-16-2023, 09:41 AM
Last Post: jd50i
  Metis package can't update Mangustis 1 982 02-22-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: robocone
  Suggestion / Warning about closed source wifi and keyboard / touch pad firmware omarcomputing 3 1,829 10-08-2022, 06:22 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Keyboard/Touchpad update SH61F83 IC zaphod80013 4 3,142 09-14-2022, 03:56 AM
Last Post: Carl
Big Grin EASY SOLUTION for Manjaro "Missing Keys" Update and Install Failure Zoroaster-Z 0 1,366 08-14-2022, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Zoroaster-Z
  Ring around screen following update tylerjohnson3208 2 2,005 05-10-2022, 01:52 AM
Last Post: diyagabriel
  Wont charge when powered off, and update question pineymousepad 7 5,722 12-11-2021, 09:50 PM
Last Post: pineymousepad
  Issues with External Display After Recent Update reundo 0 1,336 11-18-2021, 06:37 PM
Last Post: reundo
Bug Wrong FN keys after keyboard FW update j4n3z 2 2,507 10-19-2021, 01:57 AM
Last Post: j4n3z